Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Guest of Honor for Additional Room When Globalist is Staying?

Old Sep 27, 2021, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

If you're prepared to book an extra room with your points, is there any reason not to make it a Guest of Honor reservation to ensure upgrade eligibility, breakfast etc. for the family member or friend? Can you transfer any room charges for the extra room to your own room, or isn't that possible because that other room is in someone else's name? Or can the GoH room be in your name?

Thanks...

Last edited by Explore; Sep 27, 2021 at 12:10 am
Old Sep 27, 2021, 12:59 am

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
1. If the cash rate is too good, you may consider not to make a GOH booking. E.g. HR Lake Tahoe $188 or 25k pts in low season.
2. You can pay the bills of both room at the FD.
3. No.
Warriorconcept and Explore like this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For #2, sure, but you want the eligible spend on your account.

I’ve always been successful in moving all charges to my room in that situation, but I generally try to just have everyone charge my room to begin with.
Explore likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 3:52 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
If both rooms are in your name and you pay for both rooms, you would get points for both rooms, night credit for 1 room. That may be more interesting than GOH, if you are staying at the same time.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 59Impala
If both rooms are in your name and you pay for both rooms, you would get points for both rooms, night credit for 1 room. That may be more interesting than GOH, if you are staying at the same time.
If both rooms are in Globalist's name, then only one is eligible for Globalist upgrade. I have booked 2 rooms in my name many times and changed one to colleague's name upon check in, the second room was never upgraded. GOH is the way to go for all benefits, upgrade and free breakfast.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
I think it depends on the property, but most likely you'll get Globalist benefits only for one room. You should ask the hotel first.

I've been to hotels where they extended my Globalist benefits also to 2nd room, but some other properties where we wanted to take another couple with us, booked by me they said that you should use GOH on points or apply Club Award Access voucher for that 2nd room.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
So I made 2 GoH bookings at the Hyatt Regency LAX, at a time I'll be staying there as well. In both cases, the Hyatt Concierge was only able to assign ADA rooms upon booking - in one case two queens. I called the hotel, which immediately changed the bookings to high floor, non-ADA king rooms....not an upgrade but at least not a downgrade. The hotel urged me to cancel both bookings and make new reservations under my name to enhance the likelihood of upgrades. This is the total opposite of how GoH bookings are supposed to work, but I've heard stories (say the Alili Napa Valley) where there is no indication the GoH is in fact a GoH.

Any thoughts, and maybe about the HR LAX in particular? Even if they upgrade the room on a non-GoH booking under my name, are they likely to provide the F&B and late checkout benefits?
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:11 am

Do I understand this correctly?

We are family of 5, so typically book two connecting rooms, usually on points. In the past, all 5 of us have been admitted to the lounge without issue.
However, just had a stay where the lounge was closed, so Glob breakfast was in restaurant. They comped us for 2 adults and 2 kids only, made us pay for kid #3.

So, to avoid this in the future for Glob breakfast benefit, and/or to ensure club access for all 5 of us, one of the following would need to happen:
1) Call hotel in advance to inquire if they will simply extend Glob lounge/breakfast benefits to all 5 registered guests across our 2 rooms, or
2) Keep room 1 in my name for Glob benefits, and change room #2 to be in my spouse's name and apply GoH, or
3) Apply Club/Lounge Cert to room #2

Is this right? Any other tips on ensuring all 5 of us have access to the Globalist benefits in our most common booking situation (two connecting rooms, both booked with points by me).

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:49 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FoCo Finch
Do I understand this correctly?

We are family of 5, so typically book two connecting rooms, usually on points. In the past, all 5 of us have been admitted to the lounge without issue.
However, just had a stay where the lounge was closed, so Glob breakfast was in restaurant. They comped us for 2 adults and 2 kids only, made us pay for kid #3.

So, to avoid this in the future for Glob breakfast benefit, and/or to ensure club access for all 5 of us, one of the following would need to happen:
1) Call hotel in advance to inquire if they will simply extend Glob lounge/breakfast benefits to all 5 registered guests across our 2 rooms, or
2) Keep room 1 in my name for Glob benefits, and change room #2 to be in my spouse's name and apply GoH, or
3) Apply Club/Lounge Cert to room #2

Is this right? Any other tips on ensuring all 5 of us have access to the Globalist benefits in our most common booking situation (two connecting rooms, both booked with points by me).

Thanks!
Both 1 and 2 are good options. Given you typically book using points, #2 seems like an obvious choice. Using a Club Lounge Access award (your #3) would not work in the scenario you described. It enables access to the club lounge but does not guarantee breakfast in a restaurant if the lounge is closed or unavailable.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skj
Both 1 and 2 are good options. Given you typically book using points, #2 seems like an obvious choice. Using a Club Lounge Access award (your #3) would not work in the scenario you described. It enables access to the club lounge but does not guarantee breakfast in a restaurant if the lounge is closed or unavailable.
This is overall a gray area within Hyatt. Officially, the globalist member earns globalist benefits and night credit for a single room (which is lounge access or breakfast), but gets the points from spend on up to two rooms.
Somewhat regularly I'm given upgrade and breakfast for the second room, but it is not guaranteed.

If you want to guarantee that your fifth person gets breakfast, then if the hotel has a lounge and it's open, apply a club access award. Call the hotel to verify the lounge is open, almost all of them were "temporarily" closed during covid and at least in the US many of them still haven't opened yet.
Guest of Honor is an easy way to get the second room guaranteed globalist benefits. But the biggest downsides to that are:
1) You can't apply a TSU to a Guest of Honor.
2) If there's associated spend, then the second room's spend doesn't go to your Hyatt account.
3) If it's a better deal for cash booking (which with Covid I've seen a lot of places where with corporate or other codes have gotten every cheap) then GoH isn't an option.

If you're going to do two rooms from your account, I'd suggest separate confirmation numbers. That way you have a better chance of having benefits awarded, and you can talk to concierge/twitter later to say "Breakfast wasn't comped on reservation ABC2".
barfarf likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
In the last year, I booked 2 rooms at LAX Hyatt, BOS Hyatt, and Hyatt Waikiki. I booked separate reservations, both under my name. In all cases, both rooms received lounge access, breakfast benefits, and upgrade (to better view rooms, not suites). I received spend points for both rooms, but nights credits for just one room. That was for 5 people! In the case of the Hyatt BOS and the Hyatt Waikiki, I even offered to use club upgrade certificates to upgrade the second room, but they said no, it isn't necessary.

This is why I love Hyatt!!

It's also why I will avoid booking Marriott like the plague, despite having lifetime Platinum status. They have always been ridiculous cheapskates, e.g. making me pay extra for a 12-yo child to get into the lounge because they were the 3rd person in the room (that was as an Ambassador, too).
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:02 pm
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by CIT85
If both rooms are in Globalist's name, then only one is eligible for Globalist upgrade. I have booked 2 rooms in my name many times and changed one to colleague's name upon check in, the second room was never upgraded. GOH is the way to go for all benefits, upgrade and free breakfast.
apart from the upgrade on rooms 2 and 3, I always got all Globalist benefits, including waived parking on award stays for 2 cars.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:48 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
In the last year, I booked 2 rooms at LAX Hyatt, BOS Hyatt, and Hyatt Waikiki. I booked separate reservations, both under my name. In all cases, both rooms received lounge access, breakfast benefits, and upgrade (to better view rooms, not suites). I received spend points for both rooms, but nights credits for just one room. That was for 5 people! In the case of the Hyatt BOS and the Hyatt Waikiki, I even offered to use club upgrade certificates to upgrade the second room, but they said no, it isn't necessary.
Originally Posted by 59Impala
apart from the upgrade on rooms 2 and 3, I always got all Globalist benefits, including waived parking on award stays for 2 cars.
Have either of you stayed at GH Baha Mar? That's the property where FoCo Finch had 2 rooms and was charged for breakfast for a 3rd child staying in the second room. GH Baja Mar strictly followed the 2 adult/2 child rule and didn't bend in spite of booking multiple rooms.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:07 am
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by skj
Have either of you stayed at GH Baha Mar? That's the property where FoCo Finch had 2 rooms and was charged for breakfast for a 3rd child staying in the second room. GH Baja Mar strictly followed the 2 adult/2 child rule and didn't bend in spite of booking multiple rooms.
no, my stays were 2 vacations of 3 weeks each and 3 rooms each and multiple Hyatts, but all in the US.

Last edited by 59Impala; Jan 10, 2022 at 1:26 pm
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The main and most critical goal is usually ensuring connecting room - while confirming that I d just ask about benefits for all kids.. at the very worst you ll pay $10-20 for extra kid bfast...
imo doing reservations under different names is likely to increase the risk of confusion and losing connector..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.