Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Why is Hyatt so limited in use of technology?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Hyatt so limited in use of technology?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:08 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Its actually hotel manager dependent. Stayed in a fair share of Grand Hyatts, Regencys and Hyatt Houses. Can you believe that some of the Hyatt Houses has Mobile key entryes while some of the GHs and Regencys still used standard cardkeys only?
Originally Posted by raylee123
Maybe it is hotel / brand / country dependent, but I've found the Hyatt mobile app to be great and in many ways better than the Marriott app.

I've experienced the following this year:

1) used the app for mobile key
2) requested full housekeeping and other items (towels, pillows, toiletries, robes, slippers, and even a yoga mat and free weights!) via just the app while I was out.
3). I've ordered room service from the app while I was out and it arrived and waiting for me when I returned.
4) I was able to look at a spa menu and make appointments for treatments / massages.
5) I was able to check my portfolio and charges, which updates real time.
6) I was able to book upgrade with points booking online, which previous required a call
7) utilized the chat features with the hotel before and during my stay with requests. I've so used the chat with Hyatt global for points and night posting issues.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Its actually hotel manager dependent. Stayed in a fair share of Grand Hyatts, Regencys and Hyatt Houses. Can you believe that some of the Hyatt Houses has Mobile key entryes while some of the GHs and Regencys still used standard cardkeys only?
Yes. There is greater pressure to keep cost and complexity down at cheaper brands. Think of it as supermarket self-checkout.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by antonius66
Regarding the OP the only thing i agree with is ordering food etc in room should be via a tablet or app in room to increase accuracy.
I really like this, but I've found few places which implement it seem to do it well. The Hyatt Regency Mexico City (which otherwise has quite high levels of customer service) now has the option of web-submitting room service options. The only issue is that the timing isn't setup correctly and so if you order at just the wrong moment it can take 90min for you to get your food (as the web form submits a target time of far in the future and so the chef will ignore your order for 40min or so).

It should be a recognised principle that malfunctioning tech is worse than not having any tech at all.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:33 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Regarding the OP the only thing i agree with is ordering food etc in room should be via a tablet or app in room to increase accuracy.
HR Indian Wells has this option. We browsed the menu and decided what we wanted only to find out that some items could not be ordered! We had to go down to the Café to order those items (i.e. Pizza).
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:13 pm

Ventana's tablet system was great. It would be nice if it could be accessed from our own phones too but it offered ability to order from the menu, request housekeeping items, etc. With the staffing shortages and a lot more people being more technology literate, it takes way less human capital to place orders with these kinds of systems.

However, I will say that technology is only good if the hotel actually pays attention to it. It's not going to be any good if the time to receive order is not given but the kitchen has a 1 hr wait.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:36 am

I'm fairly new to Hyatt (and am a huge fan so far). I've probably stayed at one before, but I started paying attention to loyalty programs during the pandemic and made globalist in the first year.

Anyway, oddly, my very first stay at a Hyatt under my WoH account was the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar in the Bahamas this past summer, and they had a tablet you could order room service from that worked very well. OF COURSE, I got in to the Bahamas, two days before a cruise and immediately developed a fever and sore throat... multiple tests confirmed not covid, but nevertheless I stayed in the room those two days while family went out to experience the island, and I gotta say having such an easy way to get room service on that tablet was a lifesaver that absolutely influenced me going for globalist the rest of the year.

Also, I'm a fairly experience software engineer and have found the Hyatt website to far more responsive and functional than Marriott. Virtually no experience with Hilton.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Embowaf
I'm fairly new to Hyatt (and am a huge fan so far). I've probably stayed at one before, but I started paying attention to loyalty programs during the pandemic and made globalist in the first year.

Anyway, oddly, my very first stay at a Hyatt under my WoH account was the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar in the Bahamas this past summer, and they had a tablet you could order room service from that worked very well. OF COURSE, I got in to the Bahamas, two days before a cruise and immediately developed a fever and sore throat... multiple tests confirmed not covid, but nevertheless I stayed in the room those two days while family went out to experience the island, and I gotta say having such an easy way to get room service on that tablet was a lifesaver that absolutely influenced me going for globalist the rest of the year.

Also, I'm a fairly experience software engineer and have found the Hyatt website to far more responsive and functional than Marriott. Virtually no experience with Hilton.
Hyatt is definitely better but I wish hotel chains kept you logged in longer. Is there any reason to log you out after 20 mins like it’s a bank. At least Hyatt doesn’t make you do a pointless Captcha like Hilton.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by dsiderx2
Hyatt is definitely better but I wish hotel chains kept you logged in longer. Is there any reason to log you out after 20 mins like it’s a bank. At least Hyatt doesn’t make you do a pointless Captcha like Hilton.
That is a touch annoying but it wouldn't bother me much except that Hyatt has 3 log in fields. WoH number, last name, and password. So password managers won't autofill everything.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dsiderx2
Absolutely. Is it even 20 minutes? Anytime I'm using multiple tabs with Hyatt and other sites working on a trip, I feel like I end up logging into Hyatt 10 times. And as mentioned by someone else, since they require the last name, it's a pita to get a password manager to work with it.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It should be a recognised principle that malfunctioning tech is worse than not having any tech at all.
I guess...but I find humans to malfunction fairly regularly as well. It is not uncommon for me to have to call and ask why room service is over 30 minutes late or req-request extra pillows or whatever.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Regarding the OP the only thing i agree with is ordering food etc in room should be via a tablet or app in room to increase accuracy. Otherwise, no i don't want more technology for the sake of more tech. Everyone thinks everything gets better with more technology and it's obnoxious.
Do you use online reservations? You don't think they should add support for common reservation items like TSUs (my original post #1)?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Embowaf
That is a touch annoying but it wouldn't bother me much except that Hyatt has 3 log in fields. WoH number, last name, and password. So password managers won't autofill everything.
1Password definitely can and I suspect others can. You just have to teach 1P about the third field and then it'll autofill it.
manu08 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checked in to a Hyatt Place recently. On the day of arrival, I got at least ten emails inviting me to use mobile check-in. They started off early in the morning on an hourly basis, and later in the day they were coming at at clip of 2-3 per hour.

I rarely use mobile check-in because either it doesn't work and I need to stop by the desk anyway, or the mobile key doesn't work and I need to stop by the desk anyway.

Finally I relented and checked in on the app to stop the deluge of emails. Naturally at the end of the process it said I needed to stop by the desk anyway.
strickerj, manu08 and madmanshoney like this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
1Password definitely can and I suspect others can. You just have to teach 1P about the third field and then it'll autofill it.
Sure; I meant specifically for Chrome, which as best as I can tell only supports 2 fields.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.