Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Tribune Rome [JdV by Hyatt] REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

The Tribune Rome [JdV by Hyatt] REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by antonius66
Yes if it costs 39k total for 3 nights that's a great redemption and I would do that there for sure.
+1, same thoughts.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 12:56 pm

I ended up taking The Tribune reservation...41000 extra points for the other hotel just didn't seem worth it. I'll make sure to report when I return in September.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 7:59 am

Had a one night stay at The Tribune - first stay at this hotel. Itís a really nice hotel anyway, but the Globalist recognition was amazing. Have booked a standard room (brand explorer free night voucher 1-4) and got upgraded to a deluxe junior suite, which was really nice (thatís the highest room category). Also got a bottle of red wine, a couple of bottle of waters, free minibar and free breakfast including free made to order dishes (Iím not sure, what is a Globalist perk and which isnít). The room had a balcony, working desk and plenty of USB sockets. Everything was clean. The rooftop bar/restaurant was nice as well.

Service was very good and check-in/check-in were fast. 20 minute walking to trevi fountain and spanish steps. A bit more than 10 minutes by taxi to Vatican Museums and around 30 minutes by taxi to FCO.
kevinjm likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 5:01 pm

Quick report: FWIW, I've been to Rome a bunch of times, though not in over 20 years. Not much has changed...though Via Veneto seems dead or dying. But maybe it was just the 100 degree heat or it being August...though other parts were packed.

The Tribune is a perfectly fine, clean modern city hotel. Great quiet AC, everything was new and decent quality, bed was very comfortable. Public spaces are meh, though rooftop restaurant seems nice even though view is only of park...can't really tell you're in Rome.

Location is a little out of the way unless you really enjoy walking. Feels like staying on Lexington and 45th street in NYC, if that makes any sense.

For 12000 points a night, worth it considering how pricey Rome hotels can be. But if I were to spend $300+, I'd probably find some independent hotels in livelier neighborhoods.

I doubt I'll ever return to Rome in my lifetime...I just am not crazy about the city (went for my son). FWIW, AS Roma game at Stadio Olympico was great fun and atmosphere...partly perhaps because it was opening day. Nice that you can walk there too, though it is a bit of a trek.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
American tourist visits Rome in August, finds it hot and crowded. Wow that's a shock.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
American tourist visits Rome in August, finds it hot and crowded. Wow that's a shock.
100 degrees is an aberration in late August. I was born and lived in Italy for four years. We just happened to catch awful weather.

And where did I say it was unusually crowded. The Trevi Fountain, Vatican Museum and Travestere are packed year round.

But keep trying with you pointless and useless remarks. Youíre the type who always needs to get the last word in and be right.
est-gratuite and nexusCFX like this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by manku
Via Veneto seems dead or dying.
That's kind of what I thought too during the summer but then went in spring and it was really busy. It feels like its more empty in summer (as are more local parts of town) than fall/spring.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by olouie
That's kind of what I thought too during the summer but then went in spring and it was really busy. It feels like its more empty in summer (as are more local parts of town) than fall/spring.
Via Veneto has been on a long slow decline for decades now, however the endless pandemic lockdowns from 2020 to 2022 put the final nail in the coffin of many retailers that had been struggling for years, and made them shut their shops for good. You'll see many fully empty stores there now, that no Italian business person wants to rent or buy. Via Veneto's heyday was the 1950s and 1960s when american and Italian film stars would stay there, and in the time after that was purely cruising on the nostalgia from those 2 decades.

Right now, the american embassy and the various luxury hotels lining the street are the only thing left holding that location's reputation up right now.

If the tourists start abandoning those hotels in the future (or the US embassy moves elsewhere) then the fancy reputation of that street will well and truly be over.

In any case, Italian locals (even rich locals) definitely do NOT hang out there anymore...not even for drinks at the outdoor street cafes run by the hotels.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Aug 30, 2023 at 4:23 pm
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:28 am

Any free parking nearby
Old Dec 17, 2023, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I visited Rome last weekend for the first time and originally booked the Maalot, though ended up switching to the Tribune due to the low redemption rate (12K/night) for my two nights. Cash rates weren't too bad, but I didn't mind parting with the points due to having an excess right now. This is a quieter area compared to the Maalot, located right by the Trevi Fountain, so I am glad I ended up switching properties. We took Uber to/from Rome Termini (due to taking the Leonardo Express) which was only $12/each way. For the rest of the trip, minus our tour of Vatican City, we just walked around as the hotel is fairly well located. I am a fast walker, though I don't think it took more than fifteen minutes to walk to the Spanish Steps.

We arrived to the hotel around 10am and, not surprisingly, my room was not ready. My friend's room was ready, so I dumped my bags in her room and we grabbed a quick bite to eat before the restaurant closed. Each table had a menu with a nice variety of items and there was also a nice buffet of items to choose from. I did a mix of buffet items as well as an egg dish with salmon on top and they didn't bat an eye.

I figured my room wouldn't be ready for a while, which wasn't a huge deal, so we wandered around Rome for several hours. I was a bit surprised I never got a phone call or text advising it was ready, but not a huge deal I suppose. In the end, I received a standard room with a king bed which was comfortable for my stay. I didn't come to Rome to spend my time in a hotel, but I'll always enjoy an upgrade... The bed was a bit hard, though the pillows were soft enough to make up for it. I was also super tired due to only getting two or so hours of sleep on my flight to FCO, so I passed out fairly quickly.

Terrazza Borghese is the rooftop bar/dining area which we visited both nights of our stay. They offer a menu of drinks, though can easily make something not on the menu. I had a whiskey sour the first night and an old fashioned the second night. The only downside is the fact they allow guests to smoke up there and with the plastic flaps closed due to it being winter, the smoke doesn't get much of a chance to dissipate.

A few extra photographs of the breakfast spread. The waiters were friendly, though one of them seemed very confused when we asked what the Globalist benefit included. Another waiter then came over who advised anything we wanted would be covered, so we both ordered a dish from the menu as well as picked up items from the buffet.

----

This was certainly not a bad redemption for my first trip to Italy and I enjoyed not being in an area packed full of tourists (Maalot). The hotel doesn't have very many suites, so I can't fault them for not giving an upgrade without using some sort of upgrade currency. I believe I would return to the Tribune the next time I visit Rome depending on my plans and whether I want to try another area.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:11 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Overall Pleasant Stay

Scored a 5-category upgrade at check-in to a top floor king junior suite, after requesting a room with a good view. It helped that this was a one-night stay in January, and the room was vacant when I arrived in the early morning (although I was prepared to leave my bags until later). This room (605) had views out both sides of the hotel, with a balcony and grand view to the north featuring the Villa Borghese Gardens and a section of the 3rd century AD Aurelian Wall directly below and in front of the hotel. There were two bathrooms, with a tub in one featuring an unobstructed view, and a shower in the other. The staff member checking me in was very pleasant, offering breakfast that first day but I was in a hurry to get to a tour. There was a half-bottle of Chianti in the room, along with a welcome note. Also a heavy coffee table book on Rome to peruse, with large photo spreads mainly from the postwar era.

I returned to the hotel after dark and enjoyed dinner at the rooftop Terrazza Borghese. Airy, despite the heavy plastic covering to cope with January chill. In summer, the open-air setting would be very romantic. Great service. Ordered a designer risotto, followed by an unusual, light cheese cake.

Before departing the next morning, I went to breakfast at the cellar breakfast room. Globalists can order such items as omelettes and pancakes a la carte for free, supplementing a fairly basic buffet spread. Unfortunately the staff here were perfunctory, and one requested item wasn't delivered.

The hotel's drawback is its location. As others have noted, the nearby Via Veneto has seen better days. Aside from its proximity to the Borghese Gallery, the hotel is a schlep to other parts of Rome, including the once-downtrodden but now happening Monti neighborhood, where there's an excellent new Doubletree.
est-gratuite and Illinwu like this.

Last edited by Explore; Jan 17, 2024 at 11:18 pm
Old Jan 18, 2024, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Explore
Scored a 5-category upgrade at check-in to a top floor king junior suite, after requesting a room with a good view. It helped that this was a one-night stay in January, and the room was vacant when I arrived in the early morning (although I was prepared to leave my bags until later). This room (605) had views out both sides of the hotel, with a balcony and grand view to the north featuring the Villa Borghese Gardens and a section of the 3rd century AD Aurelian Wall directly below and in front of the hotel. There were two bathrooms, with a tub in one featuring an unobstructed view, and a shower in the other. The staff member checking me in was very pleasant, offering breakfast that first day but I was in a hurry to get to a tour. There was a half-bottle of Chianti in the room, along with a welcome note. Also a heavy coffee table book on Rome to peruse, with large photo spreads mainly from the postwar era.

I returned to the hotel after dark and enjoyed dinner at the rooftop Terrazza Borghese. Airy, despite the heavy plastic covering to cope with January chill. In summer, the open-air setting would be very romantic. Great service. Ordered a designer risotto, followed by an unusual, light cheese cake.

Before departing the next morning, I went to breakfast at the cellar breakfast room. Globalists can order such items as omelettes and pancakes a la carte for free, supplementing a fairly basic buffet spread. Unfortunately the staff here were perfunctory, and one requested item wasn't delivered.

The hotel's drawback is its location. As others have noted, the nearby Via Veneto has seen better days. Aside from its proximity to the Borghese Gallery, the hotel is a schlep to other parts of Rome, including the once-downtrodden but now happening Monti neighborhood, where there's an excellent new Doubletree.
how much sq you think the suite was?
Old Jan 19, 2024, 7:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ijones027
how much sq you think the suite was?
According to the room description, 32 square meters which equals 345 sq. ft. However, the configuration of these junior suites varies, and not all have balconies, so some might be bigger than others.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
According to the room description, 32 square meters which equals 345 sq. ft. However, the configuration of these junior suites varies, and not all have balconies, so some might be bigger than others.
thanks for the response guess I won't be wasting a SUA on 50 extra feet
Old Jan 20, 2024, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ijones027
thanks for the response guess I won't be wasting a SUA on 50 extra feet
I would say that it's the great view and, in some cases, balcony....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.