Seoul Hyatt Preference?

Old Oct 23, 2021, 1:44 pm
  #16  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 100,476
IMO no one should be paying that price for that location either.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 23, 2021, 5:12 pm
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,165
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO no one should be paying that price for that location either.
It's good for anybody who drives. Not so good for tourists or people needing the subway.
Aventine is online now  
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:20 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,617
Well so what is the current thought consensus on this question? Seems like everything I have read in all 3 threads lately is basically that the PH has gone to hell, the GH is a terrible location, the Andaz is mediocre...should we just move to the IHG forum for Seoul?
Looking at some dates for next April for the 4th year in a row that I have rebooked the same attempted trip and I see GH for 170 US, Andaz for 303 and PH for 440.
antonius66 is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:32 pm
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by antonius66
Well so what is the current thought consensus on this question? Seems like everything I have read in all 3 threads lately is basically that the PH has gone to hell, the GH is a terrible location, the Andaz is mediocre...should we just move to the IHG forum for Seoul?
Looking at some dates for next April for the 4th year in a row that I have rebooked the same attempted trip and I see GH for 170 US, Andaz for 303 and PH for 440.
I hated the PH Seoul before it "went to hell". It's the only hotel I've ever checked out early from because I didn't like it there. I guess others have a different idea than I do on what good service is. I went to the GH for the rest of my trip and was much happier (though it's true that the location is not great -- it's a hassle to get anywhere). I was treated very well as a globalist. This was all pre-covid. I've yet to try the Andaz.

I actually have a trip to Korea coming up, where I'll be spending some time in Seoul. I'm not sure where I'm staying but it won't be the PH.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:05 pm
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,165
Originally Posted by antonius66
Well so what is the current thought consensus on this question? Seems like everything I have read in all 3 threads lately is basically that the PH has gone to hell, the GH is a terrible location, the Andaz is mediocre...should we just move to the IHG forum for Seoul?
Looking at some dates for next April for the 4th year in a row that I have rebooked the same attempted trip and I see GH for 170 US, Andaz for 303 and PH for 440.
As a resident, I dont dock GH any points for location. I just dock them for poor Globalist room assignment and a cheap renovation. Its a big case of book what you can live with there. I havent seen a suite since 2020 but maybe because we stay on public holidays and weekends. Weekdays are probably easier to get them via Globalist upgrade.

I would move to the IHG forum if Grand IC Parmas is the same rate as GH. Their base rooms are MUCH nicer and more spacious.

Last edited by Aventine; Apr 27, 2022 at 6:21 pm
Aventine is online now  
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:00 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by antonius66
I see GH for 170 US, Andaz for 303 and PH for 440.
GH for 170 is a no brainer here IMO. Yes the location is a bit inconvenient but cabs are extremely cheap (can be a little difficult to get on the way back to the hotel though; obviously easy to get from the hotel).

Personally I had a great stay at this hotel and I got upgraded to exactly what I was entitled to at check-in. I can't remember if it was a standard suite or a deluxe room, but it was the best available that was available at the time (not including premium suites).

On a side note, I've never really had a problem getting what I'm entitled to at check in at any Hyatt. If they push back (which in itself is very rare) I'm willing to push harder than they are and they what I'm supposed to get.

The only hotel where they have blatantly refused to give me what I was entitled to was the GH Hong Kong (it wasn't an upgrade) and I still got what I was supposed to get in the end; their argument gained them nothing and cost them significant future business. At other hotels I've had them play dumb but when I point out the availability that's usually the end of the discussion.
antonius66 likes this.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:07 pm
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,165
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
GH for 170 is a no brainer here IMO. Yes the location is a bit inconvenient but cabs are extremely cheap (can be a little difficult to get on the way back to the hotel though; obviously easy to get from the hotel).

Personally I had a great stay at this hotel and I got upgraded to exactly what I was entitled to at check-in. I can't remember if it was a standard suite or a deluxe room, but it was the best available that was available at the time (not including premium suites).

On a side note, I've never really had a problem getting what I'm entitled to at check in at any Hyatt. If they push back (which in itself is very rare) I'm willing to push harder than they are and they what I'm supposed to get.

The only hotel where they have blatantly refused to give me what I was entitled to was the GH Hong Kong (it wasn't an upgrade) and I still got what I was supposed to get in the end; their argument gained them nothing and cost them significant future business. At other hotels I've had them play dumb but when I point out the availability that's usually the end of the discussion.
For GH Seoul, they sometimes have nothing more than high floor view standard rooms to give as upgrades. I pointed out a corner room but it conveniently disappeared when I appealed to Hyatt concierge. Suites get bought out as family or party rooms and I dislike choosing between a bathtub or washlet for standard rooms.

For a visitor who just wants a place to sleep and breakfast in the morning then $170 USD is fine.
antonius66 likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Apr 27, 2022 at 7:13 pm
Aventine is online now  
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:24 pm
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by Aventine
For GH Seoul, they sometimes have nothing more than high floor view standard rooms to give as upgrades. I pointed out a corner room but it conveniently disappeared when I appealed to Hyatt concierge. Suites get bought out as family or party rooms and I dislike choosing between a bathtub or washlet for standard rooms.

For a visitor who just wants a place to sleep and breakfast in the morning then $170 USD is fine.
But if that's all that's available, isn't that fine? Upgrades are subject to availability. I know, you know this. I just don't understand your complaint if you are getting the best room available at check in. Sometimes there aren't any upgrades available (I don't consider a higher floor to be an upgrade either, but in fairness that's important to some people)

FWIW when I was there I think I ended up in one of those corner rooms (this was in 2018 so my memory may be fuzzy). In fact if I remember correctly they put me in a smaller room on a higher floor and I requested the larger room on the lower floor, which they gave me. It was a good experience -- they basically gave me my pick of available rooms. And that was for a 7 night stay in May, booked the same day I checked in (so it certainly included a weekend)

I also remember that my flight out was late at night and while they could but extend my checkout past 4 because the room was blocked for someone else, they did allow me use of the lounge well into the evening. I remember that the front desk agent needed to get permission from a supervisor because I would still be there during the cocktail hour (they mentioned that they normally don't allow that into the cocktail hour but it was ok because I was globalist). It's a relatively minor thing but not all hotels would do that.

As far as the room disappearing, that's different, but if it's not showing as available then they aren't selling it so I'm not sure that they hid it just to avoid upgrading you. It does seem like quite the coincidence though, and that would annoy me too.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:30 pm
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,165
GH is okay if Im not paying 400,000 won for a room there. OP might be able to enjoy cherry blossoms on Namsan in early April.
Aventine is online now  
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:29 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,821
Originally Posted by antonius66
Well so what is the current thought consensus on this question? Seems like everything I have read in all 3 threads lately is basically that the PH has gone to hell, the GH is a terrible location, the Andaz is mediocre...should we just move to the IHG forum for Seoul?
Looking at some dates for next April for the 4th year in a row that I have rebooked the same attempted trip and I see GH for 170 US, Andaz for 303 and PH for 440.
For me, I prefer Marriott over Hyatt in Seoul.
Jimgotkp is offline  
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:53 am
  #26  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,165
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
For me, I prefer Marriott over Hyatt in Seoul.
There's more quantity but not really seeing the quality part. Marriott is great for cheap rooms in Alofts or Four Points though.
Aventine is online now  
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:39 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Platinum
Posts: 8
Seoul Hyatt preference for family

Hi, wondering if this thread is still being followed. I am a globalist and planning to visit in Sep with family (mrs + 14yr son + 9yr daughter) and plan to stay in Seoul for 5 nights. I am deciding between Andaz and PH due to easy metro access. Am able to use the suite upgrade to get into the standard suites for both hotels. However, only 1 roll-away, with daily charge, is available and not sure if the sofas are good enough for my daughter, who is 4'3". Both also charge an extra 100k KRW/day for my son since he is over 12, and the Park Hyatt also wants to charge him 55k KRW for breakfast since he is the 3rd adult, and Globalist benefits only cover 2 adults and 2 children.

I am curious about the suitability of the 2 hotels for family, especially since we will be crowded in the suite. I know GH may be better for kids, but not being accessible to the metro is a show stopper.

In addition, wondering if the sofas in either hotel's standard suits(Park King in PH and Andaz 1 King bed) are suitable for sleeping.

Lastly, am a bit surprised that the PH will nickel and dime me for my son's breakfast. I can understand that they charge for roll-aways and the higher room rate, but the breakfast? Is that normal? Any thoughts?

Thanks
traveler1919 is offline  
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:49 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: HNLICNSFO
Posts: 633
Originally Posted by traveler1919
Hi, wondering if this thread is still being followed. I am a globalist and planning to visit in Sep with family (mrs + 14yr son + 9yr daughter) and plan to stay in Seoul for 5 nights. I am deciding between Andaz and PH due to easy metro access. Am able to use the suite upgrade to get into the standard suites for both hotels. However, only 1 roll-away, with daily charge, is available and not sure if the sofas are good enough for my daughter, who is 4'3". Both also charge an extra 100k KRW/day for my son since he is over 12, and the Park Hyatt also wants to charge him 55k KRW for breakfast since he is the 3rd adult, and Globalist benefits only cover 2 adults and 2 children.

I am curious about the suitability of the 2 hotels for family, especially since we will be crowded in the suite. I know GH may be better for kids, but not being accessible to the metro is a show stopper.

In addition, wondering if the sofas in either hotel's standard suits(Park King in PH and Andaz 1 King bed) are suitable for sleeping.

Lastly, am a bit surprised that the PH will nickel and dime me for my son's breakfast. I can understand that they charge for roll-aways and the higher room rate, but the breakfast? Is that normal? Any thoughts?

Thanks
You might also consider getting two rooms at the Andaz. The Andaz Suite is at the end of the hall and can be blocked off with a regular room so you have one entrance connecting both rooms. Might be comparable in cost to the Park Hyatt + 100,000 won extra charge for the 3rd adult + extra charge for roll away.
vprp is offline  
Old Apr 29, 2022, 5:30 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Platinum
Posts: 8
Thanks. Surprisingly the PH and Andaz are only 10k krw/day apart after counting my son as the 3rd adult and adding the roll-away bed. Andaz charges 55k vs PH 22k for the roll-away. So getting 2 rooms at Andaz would be 150k krw/day more expensive than PH
traveler1919 is offline  
Old Apr 29, 2022, 8:13 pm
  #30  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,165
Originally Posted by traveler1919
Thanks. Surprisingly the PH and Andaz are only 10k krw/day apart after counting my son as the 3rd adult and adding the roll-away bed. Andaz charges 55k vs PH 22k for the roll-away. So getting 2 rooms at Andaz would be 150k krw/day more expensive than PH
The Andaz suite couch is huge and your daughter could sleep on it. The rollaway is going to cramp the living room or bedroom though. 12 and over get charged full rates at Korean buffets and most luxury properties are in revenue earning mode now. I doubt Andrew Ashdown will waive it for you though. The PH owners need every last 10 won these days

Andaz transit access is a little better since it's covered and can be accessed through the B1 food floor. Apgujeung also has good bus links and Han gang a short walk away. A little closer to north of the Han River and touristy things in Jongno.

Last edited by Aventine; Apr 29, 2022 at 8:29 pm
Aventine is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.