Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Plans to Acquire Apple Leisure Group

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Plans to Acquire Apple Leisure Group

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by khabah
I just listened to the webcast, and picked up these important plans about the company's integration from a question posed to Mark Hoplamazian. He talked about the Miraval and Two Roads acquisitions as examples:
  • With Miraval, they kept management segregated/"focused" but ultimately embedded within the Hyatt business because the on-property guest experience is so unique and was complementary to the premium positioning of the greater Hyatt portfolio
  • Two Roads was fully integrated into the core business and resulted in Hyatt creating a dedicated lifestyle division
  • With ALG, "It's going to be different, we're going to be bringing the entire team with the company and it will operate as a separate unit. Alejandro Reynal...is going to be reporting to me [Mark Hoplamazian] directly and joining the executive team of Hyatt, and the company will largely look the same way it does now after we close, maintaining continuity for ownership, and recognizing that this is a different business than our core hotel operating platform primarily because the all-inclusive management base includes a very different distribution channel profile than ours does and some of the operating modes and processes that they use are also different."
Regarding that very last bit about how all-inclusives operative differently, Hoplamazian said that this is something they learned from when they set up their Ziva and Zilara brands, so they recognize it's a very specialized way of doing things and as such will keep the ALG structure intact.

I would surmise that we'll see the loyalty programs integrated and give guests the fluidity to stay, earn and burn at ALG properties as if they were your regular Regency, Alila or Place hotels, but the business side of things will see them run separately.

khabah
Does ALG have a loyalty program of its own? It seems so, as indicated in this: https://alpha.appleleisuregroup.com/.../loyalty-club/ .

But no free nights there?

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 16, 2021 at 11:35 am
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:35 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does ALG have a loyalty program of its own? It seems so, as indicated in this: https://alpha.appleleisuregroup.com/.../loyalty-club/
ALG has a membership program called Unlimited Vacation Club. Attaching the below slide from the investor presentation deck.

khabah

Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by khabah
ALG has a membership program called Unlimited Vacation Club. Attaching the below slide from the investor presentation deck.

khabah
I think the Unlimited Vacation Club (UVC) is a VERY different model to WOH though.

UVC is more akin to a timeshare than a loyalty program.

It will be interesting to see how they try to give crossover benefits. I assume the UVC model won't go away in its entirety in the short/medium term.
lowfareair and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does ALG have a loyalty program of its own? It seems so, as indicated in this: https://alpha.appleleisuregroup.com/.../loyalty-club/ .

But no free nights there?
It seems to be a membership purchase in exchange for discounts and "VIP" treatment. Details seem to be deliberately missing from the website, which isn't part of the Apple website.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It seems to be a membership purchase in exchange for discounts and "VIP" treatment. Details seem to be deliberately missing from the website, which isn't part of the Apple website.
Alarm bells always start ringing when websites are so light on detail and the you need to call up (and get a hard sales pitch) to find out what it's all about.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Alarm bells always start ringing when websites are so light on detail and the you need to call up (and get a hard sales pitch) to find out what it's all about.

I am sure they will have friendly competent sales representatives on site when you arrive to check in at your all inclusive in Mallorca.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hard disagree. Have you been to a Miraval? They are fantastic & are aspirational...fits well within the Hyatt positioning.
No, and I never will. Not my cup of tea. It's a good fit for you, and it's a probably good fit for a subset of Hyatt members. I've looked at the pricing and can find better values elsewhere IF I desired that type of experience. I'm not a fan of being gouged due to being loyal to a brand name.

Just like if Hyatt bought a cruise ship or three. There would be some Hyatt members that would rave about cruising. Also not my cup of tea (I've done more than one cruise and am not happy with the experience). And I guarantee that Hyatt would price it at a premium to comparable cruise experiences.

What I'm seeing from Hyatt management is an unfocused shotgun approach to acquisitions. I'm reminded of a Christmas special that featured the island of misfit toys ... Hyatt is quickly becoming the chain of misfit hotels.

Lately, I'm finding myself staying more at independent properties rather than chain hotels. Same/similar level of quality and service, but at a lower price point. AKA better value. This is especially true in Europe where on the last vacation I booked more than half our hotels with independents because they were much better value. Our upcoming trip to Europe this late fall has me doing the same - booking more independents that are highly rated. I'm willing to pay a premium to stay in chain hotels, but only if they're actually decent hotels that aren't mispriced compared to the competition. This hodge podge Hyatt strategy of hotel acquisition where they buy up hotels and then charge high premiums is a fail in my book.

Hoplamazian is reminding me of Arne Sorenson. Marriott used to be a chain where you knew exactly what you got. Bland to some, but always predictable. I like predictable; I don't want to pay a premium to stay in a dumpy room. Once Sorenson took over, brand standards went out the window, especially with lounge offerings. I switched over to Hyatt because they maintained quality. I am now seeing the same problem occurring with the Hyatt brand as what happened with Marriott. I'm just hoping that after the pandemic ends and lounges reopen, Hyatt's lounge offerings don't become as inedible as Marriott and Hilton lounges.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
I think the Unlimited Vacation Club (UVC) is a VERY different model to WOH though.

UVC is more akin to a timeshare than a loyalty program.

It will be interesting to see how they try to give crossover benefits. I assume the UVC model won't go away in its entirety in the short/medium term.
Hyatt already has a timeshare arm; Hyatt Residences. I'd never buy one; YMMV.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:05 pm
Suspended

I am so surprised some seem to defend Hyatt on this one. Hyatt is paying $2.7 b. Hyatt has like 1050 properties and a market cap of $7.3 b. Today's price tag is equivalent to 37% of their market cap. And that's for ~100 resorts, none of which looks particularly aspirational to me.

They are buying 100 resorts in immediate beach proximity in boring tourist places like Mallorca or Punta Cana. Mostly all-inclusive resorts for the most un-adventurous traveller which does not even want to have to decide on local dining. And I guess there's more: The tour operator selling vacation packages using brands such as Southwest Vacations, United Vacations, or Cheap Carribean.

Sorry, but this is a pretty sad direction for Hyatt to take. And it seems they paid a very dear price, too.
khabah and WasKnown like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:06 pm

But isn't that kind of the point? Diversification.
So if Ferrari buys Peugeot, that's also diversification?
... one would be creating the manufacturer of misfit cars ...
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by itsallgood
So if Ferrari buys Peugeot, that's also diversification?
Well, yes, that’s what diversification is.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I am sure they will have friendly competent sales representatives on site when you arrive to check in at your all inclusive in Mallorca.
It’s interesting you mentioned that. Some resorts that joined Apple Leisure Group alienated some of their long-time customers by setting up some kind of new segmentation approaches at the resorts — something where customers got treated worse than was typical before unless paying up for the “loyalty program” membership tier to get access and be treated more akin to what was the case before the ALG affiliation. Things like restrictions on which pools could be used, which food and drink was available and so on. I don’t know if this is usual kind of practice for all-inclusive resorts, but it seems some resorts which joined ALG alienated some long-time customers by doing what ALG advised them to do.

Originally Posted by 8mh
I am so surprised some seem to defend Hyatt on this one. Hyatt is paying $2.7 b. Hyatt has like 1050 properties and a market cap of $7.3 b. Today's price tag is equivalent to 37% of their market cap. And that's for ~100 resorts, none of which looks particularly aspirational to me.

They are buying 100 resorts in immediate beach proximity in boring tourist places like Mallorca or Punta Cana. Mostly all-inclusive resorts for the most un-adventurous traveller which does not even want to have to decide on local dining. And I guess there's more: The tour operator selling vacation packages using brands such as Southwest Vacations, United Vacations, or Cheap Carribean.

Sorry, but this is a pretty sad direction for Hyatt to take. And it seems they paid a very dear price, too.
Long ago, I learned not to take headline prices for an acquisition as being the ultimate price for an acquisition for the shareholders. Add on to it the way things go with US corporate taxes, with US taxes for pass-thru entities and their beneficiaries, with estate planning, and with dirt cheap financing and I would say it’s riskier to jump to a conclusion about this being an “expensive” acquisition than to jump to a conclusion about this not being an “expensive” price under the current circumstances. I guess we will have a better idea about whether or not this is a truly expensive acquisition when or if Hyatt eventually gets around to spinning it off.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 16, 2021 at 12:29 pm
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:25 pm

It’s interesting you mentioned that. Some resorts that joined Apple Leisure Group alienated some of their long-time customers by setting up some kind of new segmentation approaches at the resorts — something where customers got treated worse than was typical before unless paying up for the “loyalty program” membership tier to get access and be treated more akin to what was the case before the ALG affiliation. Things like restrictions on which pools could be used, which food and drink was available and so on. I don’t know if this is usual kind of practice for all-inclusive resorts, but it seems some resorts which joined ALG alienated some long-time customers by doing what ALG advised them to do.
Ziva / Zilara already do some of that with their club rooms/buildings. Limiting access to some pools and amenities, having bars within the club that stock the higher end liquor and cocktail ingredients, etc.

It’s not as egregious as what I imagine the UVC to be, but it’s along similar(ish) lines.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by itsallgood
Once Sorenson took over, brand standards went out the window, especially with lounge offerings. I switched over to Hyatt because they maintained quality. I am now seeing the same problem occurring with the Hyatt brand as what happened with Marriott.
Question - does the consistency of the Hyatt brand impact you in any way if you simply continue to stay at the particular Hyatt properties that interest you and ignore the properties (like the ones acquired) that don't?
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by 8mh

Once again, it seems you have it backwards. The more this is discussed, the more it appears Hyatt isn't paying $2.7 billion for 100 resorts. A big portion of this is for the new booking channels you mention. Suddenly they control some major agencies that span OTA and provide inventory for independent agencies.

Many of the upscale/luxury AIs can top $500/night during shoulder season and $1,000/night over the holidays. Many of the people I've talked to at those are white collar managers / executives rather than middle class. Hyatt is now the number one company for all-inclusives which opens up many more business travelers willing to go with Hyatt for business if it means they can get their all-inclusive trips for free.

If anything, I think Marriott made the wrong play adding in the middle-range Royalton resorts as Autograph Collection earlier this year. 3 of these brands are, in my opinion, better than pretty much anything Royalton has.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Welcome to the wonderful world of travel clubs. Every major brand in Mexico/Caribbean seems to have one and they love to stress that they aren't timeshares. Instead, you get to pay the price of a new car for discounts and benefits over a period of years to decades.

If you think not having details on the website is sketchy, wait until you hear about how you don't have time to have your lawyer vet the contract and even if you do end up signing, you can't post publicly about what you paid.

I love upscale all-inclusives, but the only thing these "Travel clubs" are good for is laughing about how scammy they feel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.