Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Has Anybody Been "Bait and Switched" on a Work from Hyatt rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

I booked the Thompson Zihuatanejo awhile back for a nearly 2-week stay and chose the more expensive "Work from Hyatt" rate because it offered a $50 food / beverage credit per day.

Fast forward to today and the rate has been changed to be a one-off $100 credit. I emailed my Concierge for confirmation - but she may or may not have done anything other than read the current booking conditions for WfH rates, which are indeed $100 per stay.

Obviously for a long stay this works out to a serious amount of money, especially since we stretched our accomodation budget specifically due to the food credit.

Anybody else seen something like this?

I suppose I'll have to see what happens at the hotel, but with the hotel business in general trying all kinds of scams these days I'm not optimistic...
Old Jul 29, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I booked the Thompson Zihuatanejo awhile back for a nearly 2-week stay and chose the more expensive "Work from Hyatt" rate because it offered a $50 food / beverage credit per day.

Fast forward to today and the rate has been changed to be a one-off $100 credit. I emailed my Concierge for confirmation - but she may or may not have done anything other than read the current booking conditions for WfH rates, which are indeed $100 per stay.

Obviously for a long stay this works out to a serious amount of money, especially since we stretched our accomodation budget specifically due to the food credit.

Anybody else seen something like this?

I suppose I'll have to see what happens at the hotel, but with the hotel business in general trying all kinds of scams these days I'm not optimistic...
I had a similar situation at the Grand Hyatt in Playa del Carmen - the WFH rate terms were changed between the time I booked the stay and when I actually arrived, the $50 daily F&B being removed and replaced with an airport transfer - annoyingly the confirmation emails don't have any details of the actual rate rules/terms.

In the end it worked out OK for me, but as a backup I did have a screenshot of the old rate terms to argue my case. I would suggest reaching out to the property directly and stating the terms of the rate you booked and just asking them to confirm that everything is setup/reflected correctly for your stay. I would also suggest not mentioning anything about the terms since changing for new reservations and get it all on email.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
This is a real “yikes”…. I hope Hyatt does the right thing!
Old Aug 1, 2021, 9:34 am

I always email the hotel and ask for confirmation of the package now. Been burned too many times in the past when separate work room turns into just a seat in the lounge etc.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by olouie
I always email the hotel and ask for confirmation of the package now. Been burned too many times in the past when separate work room turns into just a seat in the lounge etc.
In those “seat in the lounge” situations, it’s pretty easy to push back given that the private workspace aspect is something that’s included in the general rate terms (vs stuff like the daily F&B credits that are property specific).
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
In those “seat in the lounge” situations, it’s pretty easy to push back given that the private workspace aspect is something that’s included in the general rate terms (vs stuff like the daily F&B credits that are property specific).
You would think so but it’s been a fight as some hotels consider that enough for the “private workspace”.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by olouie
You would think so but it’s been a fight as some hotels consider that enough for the “private workspace”.
Please do name and shame them!

I’ve had quite a few Work From Hyatt stays. I’ve definitely had to “fight” at some properties, but I’ve always ended up with either another guest room or a conference room. But I’ve probably also been somewhat lucky and chosen properties that are more popular with the WFH crowd.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
So... there was actually no problem at all with the hotel recognising my right to the $50 food credit per day as booked.

But in one of life's ironies, this hotel likes to offer "Work from Hyatt" rates without actually having working internet in all of the rooms. After several days of useless excuses by the hotel, I had to go buy a local SIM card to get online...
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
So... there was actually no problem at all with the hotel recognising my right to the $50 food credit per day as booked.

But in one of life's ironies, this hotel likes to offer "Work from Hyatt" rates without actually having working internet in all of the rooms. After several days of useless excuses by the hotel, I had to go buy a local SIM card to get online...
What property is this?

I use Work From Hyatt quite regularly so I (and I'm sure others) would appreciate knowing which property doesn't have reliable internet so that we can avoid it.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coleslaw
What property is this?

I use Work From Hyatt quite regularly so I (and I'm sure others) would appreciate knowing which property doesn't have reliable internet so that we can avoid it.
Mentioned in original post... Thompson Zihuatanejo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.