Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Charlotte / University Research Park

Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:23 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Stay Report - 6/29 to 6/30

Location: The hotel is located in the University Area of Charlotte on WT Harris (NC-24) just west of I-85. It's a good area to be in as there are a bunch of restaurants and other hotels around here (from the HP you can walk to a TGI Fridays, a Cheddars Scratch Kitchen and a few other places) and by virtue of being by I-85 it's an easy drive anywhere. Downtown is less than 20 minutes away.

Hotel: The hotel is a new construction purpose built HP which as you know I absolutely prefer to an Amerisuites Convert. It has a large parking lot, small outdoor pool, really attractive lobby with a business center and a bar area and a breakfast area. There are two elevators and there were no waits. Do note the hotel is very recently opened and that means some issues. That includes no beer or wine as they don't have their liquor license yet and very limited breakfast.

Check In: All the employees were friendly but I'm not sure how well they're trained in Hyatt benefits. They didn't seem to know the different levels or benefits for them. I was able to get my free water at least.

Room: Very nice though a little smaller than the old HP rooms but with a much better bathroom. The bed was large and comfortable and had power next to it, the TV was huge, the living room area nice though I do miss the separate kitchen area. Lastly Wifi worked well and soundproofing was fine.

Breakfast: As I said, very limited. They had breakfast sandwiches but you had to ask for them along with yogurt, fruit and oatmeal. Apparently the spread will improve soon.

Overall it's a much nicer physical hotel than the older HPs by the airport and I look forward to when they're fully open and stocked.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IHG
Why did they bother with the partition? Was it as minimal as it seems in the photo? The room looks dark, with only the 2 lamps and no overhead light. Also, it looks like the TV is over the desk part of that piece of furniture. In the last generation of Hyatt Places, the TV is on the chest of drawers and can be swiveled toward the bed or toward the sofa. It isn't directly over the desk, which is at desk height, not at the height of the chest of drawers. So, the chest of drawers with 2 drawers across and maybe 3 deep has gone and been turned into a luggage type shelf. Is that a closet where the coffee maker is? And I think the sofa has gone from 5 to 4 cushions.

It is nice that there is a new HP in Charlotte, though. The Tyvola Rd, Lake Pointe, and Arrowood conversions are all ghastly, as is the Hyatt House on South Tryon. Are you going to try the new Centric, too?

Thanks for the report.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Thanks for posting - I will be there next week.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AmericanCasey
Why did they bother with the partition? Was it as minimal as it seems in the photo? The room looks dark, with only the 2 lamps and no overhead light. Also, it looks like the TV is over the desk part of that piece of furniture. In the last generation of Hyatt Places, the TV is on the chest of drawers and can be swiveled toward the bed or toward the sofa. It isn't directly over the desk, which is at desk height, not at the height of the chest of drawers. So, the chest of drawers with 2 drawers across and maybe 3 deep has gone and been turned into a luggage type shelf. Is that a closet where the coffee maker is? And I think the sofa has gone from 5 to 4 cushions.

It is nice that there is a new HP in Charlotte, though. The Tyvola Rd, Lake Pointe, and Arrowood conversions are all ghastly, as is the Hyatt House on South Tryon. Are you going to try the new Centric, too?

Thanks for the report.
I'll be trying the Centric too once the prices stabilize a bit. Right now it's usually 50% more than the HPs which is hard to justify even if they are terrible. FWIW I didn't find the room to be too dark.
AmericanCasey likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: Hyatt | Globalist, IHG | Plat Elite, Hilton | Gold, Bonvoy | Gold Elite, DL | Plat, AA | Plat Pro
Has anyone recently stayed here? Is breakfast back to the typical HP buffet spread? Anything fun to do or any recommendations in the area?

I managed to grab a $15/night mistake rate here using the "PRIDE" code and doing a 20 night mattress run for the 2,022 bonus points promo. I know I shouldn't be complaining of any shortcomings or have much expectations at that given mistake rate. They've since fixed the issue shortly after booking and consumer affairs emailed me noting that it was caused by human error but that they will honor my reservation; I'm just hoping I'll still be able to get qualifying nights towards status and the 2,022 bonus points!
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Stayed again here last night and annoyingly they don't have their stuff together still.

- Check in agent was nowhere to be found when I arrived at 9:30 PM. I had to wait 5 minutes for her to show up
- She also served as the bartender so I waited while she dealt with the line that formed while she was gone only to learn all their beer taps are broken and they don't have any draft beer
- My room was missing a bunch of amenities including coffee mugs and in fact cups of any kind and a bath mat and only had two towels. When I dropped something and bent down to pick it up I noticed a ton of accumulated garbage under the bathroom sink
- Breakfast is still bad. It's the same spread I posted above except there were no hot breakfast sandwiches available at 8:45 AM. When I asked an attendant about it she rudely informed me they'd stopped serving hot food. I pointed out the time and she said they weren't making anymore.

The rooms and hotel are nicer than the airport and Arrowood property but the fact that a year in they're still having such simple service issues is frustrating.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by CMK10
Stayed again here last night and annoyingly they don't have their stuff together still.

- Check in agent was nowhere to be found when I arrived at 9:30 PM. I had to wait 5 minutes for her to show up
- She also served as the bartender so I waited while she dealt with the line that formed while she was gone only to learn all their beer taps are broken and they don't have any draft beer
- My room was missing a bunch of amenities including coffee mugs and in fact cups of any kind and a bath mat and only had two towels. When I dropped something and bent down to pick it up I noticed a ton of accumulated garbage under the bathroom sink
- Breakfast is still bad. It's the same spread I posted above except there were no hot breakfast sandwiches available at 8:45 AM. When I asked an attendant about it she rudely informed me they'd stopped serving hot food. I pointed out the time and she said they weren't making anymore.

The rooms and hotel are nicer than the airport and Arrowood property but the fact that a year in they're still having such simple service issues is frustrating.
-----------------------------------------------------------

If you ever have to go to Harrisonburg, Virginia, the new Hyatt Place there is just like this one in Charlotte, but is very well run. The only problem I had was that the laundry is pay by app only. The manager eventually let me give him quarters after he loaded the app on his own phone to start the machine. A small ironing board is under the sink in the bathroom. The closet is too short to hold dresses or long coats. There are knobs around the mirror to hang things on. The breakfast at the Hyatt Place in Harrisonburg is excellent. The eggs actually have some taste and the cook puts cheese in them some days. On the subject of laundry, it is free at the Hyatt Place in Charlottesville, and inexpensive at the Hyatt Place in Fredericksburg. Charlottesville has a good breakfast, although the eggs have no taste. But they make pancakes one day and waffle quarters the next, and the good oatmeal is back. I haven't been to Fredericksburg in a while; but a few months ago the eggs were changed to something that was like tasteless foam, completely inedible, and there was only packaged oatmeal. Back to Harrisonburg, these new Hyatt Places have laminate floors with a movable piece of carpet under the ottoman in front of the sofa. The exercise room looks into the pool room, which isn't a great design. But it had the pretty colored kettle balls as well as the regular free weights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.