Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Unbound Hotel Figueroa, (downtown LA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unbound Hotel Figueroa, (downtown LA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hippo387
1. Room is small. I was upgraded from queen to king, and got an 11th floor room facing Figueroa St. The bathroom is TINY. There was space around the bed and the TV is very large (but no real guide channel, just an old-school scrolling list, then you have to manually navigate to the channel). One small loveseat-ish couch positioned such that you cannot watch TV from it. Closet very small, probably 30" wide.
*Very small*

From the hotel's web-site:
"1 Queen Bed
Enjoy 187–220 square feet of space inside this Spanish, contemporary-designed room, offering one queen bed with Sferra luxury linens, separate seating area, curated local art pieces, and a bathroom with rainfall showerhead. "
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA PL, DL Gold, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Great for Globalists

Completed a 2 night stay and was a bit hesitant going in owing to some of the previous comments. Arrived around 9PM and front desk was spacey and didn't acknowledge me immediately even though there was no queue. I think the receptionist realized the faux pas and was instantly friendly. Was proactively upgraded to an 11th floor one bedroom suite. Bed is a tiny queen, but I was traveling alone so no worries. Two TVs, spacious bathroom with shower only. Mini fridge, coffee station, no minibar. Seating area in bedroom and living room. I think I would prefer a larger bed to additional seating in bedroom. Breakfast at Cafe Fig was stupendous with a globalist allowance of two entrees, specialty coffees, fresh juices x 2 adults/children. It was super tasty. The restaurant does sit on Figueroa so outdoor dining can be tricky (an iced coffee and bottle cap thrown at us dining outside). Didn't visit the pool but the bar is amazing and has an excellent happy hour during the week. For an all-in $200/night paid rate I'll be back.

Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by heatheresq
Completed a 2 night stay and was a bit hesitant going in owing to some of the previous comments. Arrived around 9PM and front desk was spacey and didn't acknowledge me immediately even though there was no queue. I think the receptionist realized the faux pas and was instantly friendly. Was proactively upgraded to an 11th floor one bedroom suite. Bed is a tiny queen, but I was traveling alone so no worries. Two TVs, spacious bathroom with shower only. Mini fridge, coffee station, no minibar. Seating area in bedroom and living room. I think I would prefer a larger bed to additional seating in bedroom. Breakfast at Cafe Fig was stupendous with a globalist allowance of two entrees, specialty coffees, fresh juices x 2 adults/children. It was super tasty. The restaurant does sit on Figueroa so outdoor dining can be tricky (an iced coffee and bottle cap thrown at us dining outside). Didn't visit the pool but the bar is amazing and has an excellent happy hour during the week. For an all-in $200/night paid rate I'll be back.
nice review.
I also stayed here recently and agree with some of your observations.

Front desk definitely spacey at times, sometimes just plain brusque/borderline rude and unhelpful. the phone and wifi in my room went out overnight and it took hours of back and forth before they gave me access to another room to do some work in. getting to that point was like pulling teeth, and ultimately I didn't pay to work in a single king room, i paid for a suite. no other attempt at service recovery and overall a poor experience.

Website for suites mention minibar but they're not there anymore. also no iPad.

bathroom in suite only had shower without a tub, which is disappointing.

If that's a 55-inch TV, I swear... looked 32" or max 40", at least in the suite I stayed in.

Pool is small. the restaurant/bar La Casita is just ok imo... drinks/food a bit overdone (personal preference perhaps since I'm not a fan of things like truffle oil; I asked for a simple mezcal margarita and it was well done). staff were friendly but clearly overworked/understaffed.

Cafe Fig breakfast was efficient and tasty. but overall, I still miss the restaurant/bar concept that was here pre-COVID. menu at Cafe Fig is more generic now whereas Breva's concept of a more Mediterranean focus had more interest. the previous lobby bar's gin tonicos are missed.

as a data point, generally mask wearing indoors was ok. obviously in the restaurant/bar area no masks, but otherwise people working in the lobby or wandering through were good about wearing masks, which was appreciated.

overall, a mixed experience. perhaps part of this is the re-opening challenges with covid, part of it a transition from their previous concepts that's still in progress. I personally think this would be better as a category 4 so the cat 1-4 awards could be used here, and since the level of service/amenities/hard product fits more of a category 4 than 5+, imo.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Restaurants

Are any of the restaurants suitable for a nice Christmas Eve dinner or should I look elsewhere?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Are any of the restaurants suitable for a nice Christmas Eve dinner or should I look elsewhere?
Personally, I would look elsewhere, unless you're staying at the hotel and don't feel like venturing far. There's a new restaurant there, Sparrow, that opened recently, but reviews look mixed, though I haven't tried myself yet.
it looks like you're relatively local, however, in which case there are plenty of other, better options.
I'd personally rather go by this list
https://la.eater.com/maps/christmas-...en-los-angeles
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:31 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Good stay, would come back

Hi everyone. I booked a junior suite, and got upgraded to the Casa Suite as a globalist. Front desk staff was friendly and efficient.

It’s an older building, and they did their best to work with the existing infrastructure. We stayed on the 12th floor, and ambulances can still be heard at night. The gym is small and had power blocks going up to 50 pounds, and a multi cable machine set up with a pull up bar. Two peloton bikes, but in a small space.

Factor in the taxi ride from LAX, as it won’t be inexpensive.

As a Globalist, you get daily espressos from the bar.

Breakfast was nothing to write home about, and service was lackluster.

i would highly recommend Bavel for dinner, about a 5-10 min taxi ride. Make reservations early on. The reviews for Cafe Fig weren’t that great, and after trying their breakfast, I wouldn’t recommend dinner here.

If I had an early flight, won’t be worth the hassle, if I had a later flight, then I would come back here.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, United Silver, American Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I stayed here a few weeks ago on a Saturday night - friendly staff at check-in and allowed me to get my key around 10:30am, which was a nice benefit. The hotel had an impressive feel and lobby - my first time at a "Unbound" property. I will note the "gym" on the second floor is very very small. Not really sure why they even offer a smaller one room fitness area. Breakfast was taken at Cafe Fig - agree with above review the service was pretty poor actually but food was solid. No issues with wiping away destination scam fee or breakfast upon checkout. The hotel is a great location near Staples Center and downtown bars/food. About a 30 minute Uber to LAX. I only stayed one night - the queen room is very small. However, didn't mind as I had a short stay.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Great Christmas Eve stay!

Pretty much wonderful stay. Front desk was on point and upgraded me, as a Globalist, to a king suite in the rear of the 11th floor. Only fault with the room was a missing area rug in the living area and the hardwood floor was a bit slippery.
Bed was super comfy and the bathroom was large and nicely fitted out .

Breakfast service was rather confused and confusing.
The breakfast itself was tasty and more than adequate for two people. Nothing extra appeared on the final bill.

Now the one thing that we absolutely loved about the Hotel Figueroa was the artwork and the charming references to the past. This is totally unlike all the shiny new hotels in the area and perhaps may
not be to everyone's taste. But it fit our taste just fine and I look forward to returning.

BTW we ended up having a fantastic Christmas Eve dinner at Colori Kitchen which is a 15 minute walk from the hotel. The walk can get rather " big city" at times.
We noticed a brand new Capital Grille a 1/2 block from the hotel if you are looking for something a bit closer.

​​​​​​
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:24 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I too enjoyed my stay although I think it's aimed at a hipper crowd. The staff were friendly from the moment I arrived until I left, proactively upgrading me to a one room suite, two days before arrival.
Breakfast was fine - just ordered what I wanted and everything, including Tip was taken off by check-out.
Slept well - it's well insulated.
Hotel was full the night I stayed which I think says something about how the area is taking off as a place to visit.

Shower

Bathroom

Living Room

Bedroom
Old Aug 30, 2022, 12:54 pm

Have to disagree with other reviews. Did not like.
Got upgrade to a very dingy "junior suite" as a Gobalist. Tiny and dark. Bathroom is huge. Weird use of space. Casa suite for sale, but no go. Front desk adamant and I don't like to fight that fight. No view with a building close. No natural light. One of the lamps didn't work until I moved a credenza to see it was unplugged. No light in the work area -- hard to work. Silly complicated little coffee machine with no light nearby. Television says "no signal." If you haven't been here before, good luck finding the valet parking. Took a few trips around on complicated one-way streets. Have to go into the adjacent lot where there is a small sign. Staff fine but a little ambivalent. Decided to get breakfast to go. Was told 20 minutes. Came back in 20 minutes and was told to wait another 15. Asked for utensils in bag. No utensils and no napkins. Food was ok. Got an ok rate but with the parking charges and high taxes I probably should have used points. Won't stay again.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:00 pm

Any recent globalist experience here?

I am looking to book a couple night around thanksgiving when the car show is in town. Rates look pretty cheap and the location appears to be conveniently located within walking distance to the car show.

The standard rooms look very small, but they are cheap enough that I really don’t want to pay extra for a suite. Hoping to ride my globalist status to a suite upgrade that so far all look available for my dates. Anyone know is this hotel is more generous or stingy with the suite upgrades? I will have a wife, kid, and dog with me so the extra space will matter.

also, how is the globalist breakfast ?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Seagull689
Any recent globalist experience here?

I am looking to book a couple night around thanksgiving when the car show is in town. Rates look pretty cheap and the location appears to be conveniently located within walking distance to the car show.

The standard rooms look very small, but they are cheap enough that I really don’t want to pay extra for a suite. Hoping to ride my globalist status to a suite upgrade that so far all look available for my dates. Anyone know is this hotel is more generous or stingy with the suite upgrades? I will have a wife, kid, and dog with me so the extra space will matter.

also, how is the globalist breakfast ?

most likely that they'll upgrade you to a junior suite. honestly depends on how busy the hotel is, but if it's over a weekend they'll probably try to block the 1 bedroom suite in the hopes that they can sell it on Friday/Saturday nights.

Thanksgiving weekend may be different, but it seems like they've been trying to get into the pool party scene for weekends. I.e., loud music, restricted access (guests get wrist bands), as a FYI.

for breakfast: saw some issues with charges not being assigned correctly. monitor your folio/bill closely.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I had a good stay here, would definitely return. I booked 2 rooms, one on points with a TSU, the other paid. They overbooked the suites, so I got a king room the first night, then moved to the suite. Service recovery was good; they returned 15,000 of the 20,000 points for the night and I was happy with that. I also got a further $75 credit when the suite was not ready the next day until mid afternoon, and was happy with that as well.

This is a historic property that has been updated, but not recently. I thought the rooms were very comfortable, great beds and linens, decent Nespresso-like coffee machine, spacious enough (I saw a king room, junior suite, and 1 bedroom suite). There were a few minor negatives: slow elevators, annoying light switches that you had to press repeatedly before they would do anything, some noise outside at night, and a scene in the lobby in the evenings. But the building itself is truly historic, with beautiful public areas and real character, which I appreciated. I also really liked the pool area, and the service there was good. The service overall was very responsive. Globalist breakfast was fine but nothing exceptional.

I would definitely return to this property if the pricing was good and I wanted to be downtown...
itsaboutthejourney and dpb132 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
There were a few minor negatives: slow elevators, annoying light switches that you had to press repeatedly before they would do anything, some noise outside at night, and a scene in the lobby in the evenings.
What kind of "scene" in the lobby - a standard boutique hotel scene, or something negative that needs to be pointed out?

I am going to a conference across the street at the JW Marriott in a few weeks, and those hotels are sold out. I have this hotel booked as it is very close and provides an opportunity to pick up some Hyatt points / elite nights (pushing for Explorist this year I think). However I could book away (Sheraton Grand, Intercontinental, Conrad) too - any other recent stays here? Hotel seems fine (with small rooms).
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Adelphos
What kind of "scene" in the lobby - a standard boutique hotel scene, or something negative that needs to be pointed out?

I am going to a conference across the street at the JW Marriott in a few weeks, and those hotels are sold out. I have this hotel booked as it is very close and provides an opportunity to pick up some Hyatt points / elite nights (pushing for Explorist this year I think). However I could book away (Sheraton Grand, Intercontinental, Conrad) too - any other recent stays here? Hotel seems fine (with small rooms).
A good scene: people from all over who want to come there because of the great atmosphere: interesting craft cocktails in the lobby bar and two very good restaurants at each end of the pool.

TIP: if attending events at the JW, exit thru the back of the hotel (towards the pool). It will dump you into a sketchy alley, but its a quick walk through a surface parking lot to Olympic Blvd. where the JW is. I find the Fig a wonderful oasis in the middle of all the Marriott sameness at LA Live.
Adelphos likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.