Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Certificates Are Being Extended?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
After noticing this thread, I decided to take a look at my one remaining FNA. I have 2 and they were earned at different times. The last one was when i reached 30 nights in May. Now I see that one (expiring May 9 2022) was used on one of my July stays. The one that is left expires on 12/15/2021. I did not get to pick which cert to use when I booked my July Stay. Shouldn't the system pick the one that will expire next and not the one that expires last? Probably have to call HD to get this one fix.

Category 1-4 Promotion Award
2 Earned 1 Redeemed 1 Available
Expiration Date Dec 15, 2021

Category 1-4 Promotion Award
1 Earned 1 Redeemed 0 Available
Expiration Date May 9, 2022

Here is an update after speaking with the Glob HD. The available one is the 30 night milestone award and it expires in 180 days. I must have booked a stay using 5/9/22 FNA just before the milestone award hit my account. If I was aware of the 180 expiration date, I could have called HD to have them switch it before my stay. And she confirmed the system is smart enough to pick the one that expires next. My mistake, lesson learnt.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Sep 1, 2021 at 7:41 am Reason: updating from HD call
Old Sep 1, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by navatwal
I have 9 free night certs, the reason i do not get to use them Is because you cannot use TSUs with them, this is quite unfair and surely IT can modify the rules to accommodate!
As others noted, it is not an IT issue, and with that many free nights, you could attempt to book two adjoining rooms as a do-it-yourself suite. Then, if the adjoining rooms were not really what you were looking for, you could potentially ask your concierge or the hotel itself if they could just move you to a regular suite.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Here is an update after speaking with the Glob HD. The available one is the 30 night milestone award and it expires in 180 days. I must have booked a stay using 5/9/22 FNA just before the milestone award hit my account. If I was aware of the 180 expiration date, I could have called HD to have them switch it before my stay. And she confirmed the system is smart enough to pick the one that expires next. My mistake, lesson learnt.
An easy mistake to make since the Hyatt site doesn’t show you when/where an award has been redeemed, just the super high level available/redeemed count by expiration date. I end up keeping a separate spreadsheet tracking future stays that use awards and the corresponding award expiration dates and every so often I compare that vs expiration dates of unused awards. It’s been more of a hassle this year vs previous since there have been so many extra awards in the mix…. Which is not the worst problem to have.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 9:28 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by coleslaw
An easy mistake to make since the Hyatt site doesn’t show you when/where an award has been redeemed, just the super high level available/redeemed count by expiration date. I end up keeping a separate spreadsheet tracking future stays that use awards and the corresponding award expiration dates and every so often I compare that vs expiration dates of unused awards. It’s been more of a hassle this year vs previous since there have been so many extra awards in the mix…. Which is not the worst problem to have.
Not quite, you can track it in the "past activity" section in your account. You will see for which reservation an award was used, but looking at the history after a couple of months will not really allow you to tie the exact used award to the reservation, so there it makes sense to keep a spreadsheet

Now that I have cancelled my US trip and 6 TSU's were returned to my account again, they all expire in Dec 21. MHC said I should call her back in December for an extension.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Not quite, you can track it in the "past activity" section in your account. You will see for which reservation an award was used, but looking at the history after a couple of months will not really allow you to tie the exact used award to the reservation, so there it makes sense to keep a spreadsheet

Now that I have cancelled my US trip and 6 TSU's were returned to my account again, they all expire in Dec 21. MHC said I should call her back in December for an extension.
In the past activity section you'll see reservations that were made with awards but you won't see any detail until you expand each reservation - even then you only see the award issue date and not the expiration date. Which is fine if you just have one or two reservations... but becomes a real mess if you have lots of account activity and multiple award reservations. My spreadsheet is a little painful, but for me it's better than the alternative.
59Impala likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if intentional or not whether this is "IT" but I was told on several occasions that the system can not apply two certificates therefore its impossible to put tsu or club upgrade on top of those free night certs.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RedSun
This is what we assumed. It was discussed so many times and some folks were against extending those FNAs that have original 6-month expiry....

Glad that Hyatt extended those.
My 6 month cert expires on 12/15, not 12/31. I just used it to book a night in a couple of weeks. I would have prefer it to expire end of year where I can use it over Christmas weekend.
RedSun likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 2:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Okay so after speaking to MHC at length about possibly exchanging Certs for points, extensions and so on I was told that -

Hyatt Corporate has instructed all Concierges whether Globalist Concierge Line, Customer Service or MHC that as of now no certificates are to be exchanged for points, this may change but they put a freeze on it due to the massive extensions.

Additionally, MHC said that Hyatt has allowed them to grant extensions for any certificates earned in 2021 through at least the end of the year. This is done upon request, not automatically. So if you have certificates expiring and you would like them extended just reach out and ask.

Pretty straightforward easy message -

Hello,

I have a Category 1-7 Certificate expiring in November. Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be able to use it by then. I wanted to reach out and see, are you’re able to extend it to the end of the year?

Kind Regards,

XXXX
Old Sep 10, 2021, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Tough crowd here. Weird.

IHG, not known for fantastic customer service (I'm also a Spire, and certainly don't have a concierge there) ROUTINELY helps me with expiring certificates in this manner. Certificates that are originally valid for way more than a year. I suppose you have low customer service expectations.
I second this. Marriott has also let me use expired certs for rooms. Hyatt may be a superior brand in many regards, but it insists on customer unfriendly cert rules, and we need to call that out.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Additionally, MHC said that Hyatt has allowed them to grant extensions for any certificates earned in 2021 through at least the end of the year. This is done upon request, not automatically. So if you have certificates expiring and you would like them extended just reach out and ask.
Thank you for this, I reached out on Twitter and had my two certs that were set to expire before the end of the year extended all the way to the end of March.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 7:35 am

Denied via Twitter and twice over the phone
Old Sep 11, 2021, 8:54 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by nycvisitor
Denied via Twitter and twice over the phone
try again in the month they expire. MHC advised me she can then do it, but not now.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miss_travel
I second this. Marriott has also let me use expired certs for rooms. Hyatt may be a superior brand in many regards, but it insists on customer unfriendly cert rules, and we need to call that out.
hyatt issues far more certs and they actually can be used at decent properties unlike marriott where your best use is airport hotel in small town..
TravelingChef likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
try again in the month they expire. MHC advised me she can then do it, but not now.
Thanks for the tip !
59Impala likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by azepine00
hyatt issues far more certs and they actually can be used at decent properties unlike marriott where your best use is airport hotel in small town..
Yeah there's such a glut of these, I don't see any great injustice in letting them expire if people can't use them. I say that as someone who has four Cat 1-4s expiring Dec. 31, 2021
Originally Posted by miss_travel
The certs have expiration dates, which have already been extended due to Covid. I don't see anything "customer unfriendly" about eventually expiring them if people don't use them.

Also, Marriott has gotten much stricter about extending certs since the merger. The days of one phone call resulting in a "sure, let me extend that 12 months for you" are long past.
TravelingChef, JackE and 59Impala like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.