Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Certificates Are Being Extended?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Eke2k6
Just got off the Globalist line, after trying to find a good use for my 7 certificates before they expire shortly. I was told that all certificates earned this year are being extended to Dec 31st!

Apparently it was a brand new memo, just sent out. Hopefully they’ll follow through with it.
Has the expiration date on your cert earned early this year changed or not? Your last statement isn't very solid.

No one else at Hyatt as of 10am PST 6/23/21 as heard of what you posted.
TravelingChef and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It's a little odd that they aren't making a public announcement about this if they're serious about going ahead with a mass extension. One would think they'd want to spin it as being a customer service gesture and maximize goodwill and publicity via blogs.

I think the first of the 6 month certs will expire on 7/7 (based on the 2020 carryover nights posting on 1/7 and a day or two after that) so there's only ~2 weeks left.
synergistic likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
It's a little odd that they aren't making a public announcement about this if they're serious about going ahead with a mass extension. One would think they'd want to spin it as being a customer service gesture and maximize goodwill and publicity via blogs.

I think the first of the 6 month certs will expire on 7/7 (based on the 2020 carryover nights posting on 1/7 and a day or two after that) so there's only ~2 weeks left.
I asked the folks at Twitter if they had any idea if they intended to continue the informal policy of points exchange after expiration for Globalists, but I was told that 'We are not converting free nights to points.' I didn't press, I'll wait for the July guinea pigs or maybe that extension - though you'd think if the Twitter team knew about that, they'd have mentioned it. She told me to gift it to a friend, I might should look at the coupon board...
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by myperks
unless you weren’t in Malaysia the whole time this year, how did you earn the two awards without staying at a property if there weren’t any Hyatts in your state?
Why do you care?
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Why do you care?
Why do you care that I care? It’s not that I care because it doesn’t affect me, just curious on how one can earn without having any Hyatts in their area (unless they have massive credit card spend or finding a Hyatt that is willing to do over the phone check ins , which in this case would be members gaming the system and Hyatt gaming right back)
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
No blogger is faster than a FlyerTalker !
I wonder if people realize how many bloggers were/are FlyerTalkers.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 12:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Haven’t seen this come to pass yet
Old Jul 3, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by mhdena
Has the expiration date on your cert earned early this year changed or not? Your last statement isn't very solid.

No one else at Hyatt as of 10am PST 6/23/21 as heard of what you posted.
As a data point, was just on the phone with Diamond line for over 20+ mins for her to "look them up". In the end, I was told what I earned in Feb of this year (Cat 4 & Cat 7) are good for 180 days and they will expired in Aug of this year.

I hope others had better luck than me.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:38 pm

My Cat 1-7 cert expired yesterday. Emailed concierge, and received 20K points
Old Aug 19, 2021, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by DubSlick
My Cat 1-7 cert expired yesterday. Emailed concierge, and received 20K points
Only 20k? Will they give 30k if you ask nicely?
Old Aug 19, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Only 20k? Will they give 30k if you ask nicely?
20k is the norm (if you ask nicely).
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coleslaw
20k is the norm (if you ask nicely).
I'm a Globalist with a Cat. 1-7 certificate that expires mid-January. I want to use it in Hawaii in February. I nicely asked my concierge if she could do that for me, but she said "no." She said she could give me 20,000 points for it once it expires.
This doesn't feel quite right to me. Giving folks only 6 months to use these certs is wrong, and it's even wronger given the pandemic. Is there any way I could get someone at Hyatt to cut me a very modest break on this and give me an extra month to use my certificate? If so, who should I contact?
miss_travel likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:50 am

It's been 6 months expiration ever since the milestones were implemented. Hyatt set the rules, you participated. Just take the 20k points and be grateful for their generosity. Honestly I hope the lack of cert extension will cut down the number of fairweather Hyatt elites out there. You could write to Amy Weinberg. Or sue them in small claims court. Or write to your senators. Plenty of avenues to complain.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm a Globalist with a Cat. 1-7 certificate that expires mid-January. I want to use it in Hawaii in February. I nicely asked my concierge if she could do that for me, but she said "no." She said she could give me 20,000 points for it once it expires.
This doesn't feel quite right to me. Giving folks only 6 months to use these certs is wrong, and it's even wronger given the pandemic. Is there any way I could get someone at Hyatt to cut me a very modest break on this and give me an extra month to use my certificate? If so, who should I contact?
how much effort do you really want to spend seeking an exception in order to come out 10K points richer? let it expire, send one email asking for an extension then, either get the extension or get 20K points. hyatt leisure properties are heavily booked these days. hyatt's not doing anything "wrong" to you. the certs expire in 180 days because hyatt expects many will go unused or used at lesser category properties - hyatt doesn't want the expense of every cert being used on Maui or Big Sur.
TravelingChef and Beachchaser like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
It's been 6 months expiration ever since the milestones were implemented. Hyatt set the rules, you participated. Just take the 20k points and be grateful for their generosity. Honestly I hope the lack of cert extension will cut down the number of fairweather Hyatt elites out there. You could write to Amy Weinberg. Or sue them in small claims court. Or write to your senators. Plenty of avenues to complain.
Originally Posted by Colin
how much effort do you really want to spend seeking an exception in order to come out 10K points richer? let it expire, send one email asking for an extension then, either get the extension or get 20K points. hyatt leisure properties are heavily booked these days. hyatt's not doing anything "wrong" to you. the certs expire in 180 days because hyatt expects many will go unused or used at lesser category properties - hyatt doesn't want the expense of every cert being used on Maui or Big Sur.
Tough crowd here. Weird.

IHG, not known for fantastic customer service (I'm also a Spire, and certainly don't have a concierge there) ROUTINELY helps me with expiring certificates in this manner. Certificates that are originally valid for way more than a year. I suppose you have low customer service expectations.
miss_travel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.