Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Certificates Are Being Extended?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:26 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Well, my Globalist is good thru 2/28/23, so looks like they already factored it in when I qualified in Jan 2021. I used the expiring 1-4 FNC in October, but it probably would have been extended had I not needed to use it. Of course, I won't complain if they extend some more....
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:44 pm

Oh good, another thread about this. Add it to the pile.

edit: It was moved! Good.
59Impala likes this.

Last edited by Cotton Candy Lobster; Dec 5, 2021 at 8:59 pm
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:29 pm

Treach to Hyatt Concierge twitter :"At this time, we are not extending free night awards. However, I do recommend you reach out to us on the day of the awards initial expiration for an alternative option."

They have to wait that day of the awards initial expiration to maybe give me 10K points?

I don't have status with Hyatt right now.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
Yep. That is what my Globalist Concierge told me today. I have to email him the day after they expire and MAYBE he will give me 10,000 points for the Category 1-4 awards.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
Well, my Globalist is good thru 2/28/23, so looks like they already factored it in when I qualified in Jan 2021.
I think this is pretty standard isn't it? When you earn status you get it for a full year and change, in addition to the rest of the current year.

Originally Posted by ecgz88
Treach to Hyatt Concierge twitter :"At this time, we are not extending free night awards. However, I do recommend you reach out to us on the day of the awards initial expiration for an alternative option."

They have to wait that day of the awards initial expiration to maybe give me 10K points?

I don't have status with Hyatt right now.
Yes, this has been an almost universal experience. Hyatt wants you to feel the full pressure to use the award before expiration
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:03 am
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by fura2
I just called... the rep said maybe they'll give 20,000 points per expired category 1-7 certificate and 10,000 points per expired category 1-4 certificate. She said they don't have any secret news as to whether Hyatt will extend the certificates or not.
Yeah I would gladly take the 10k points a piece for a cat 1 to 4 as these certificates are completely worthless now anyway. Every hotel I Used one of these certificates in the past has been moved up to category 5. Give me 20k for my two certifcates and i can get 10k Southwest points for them. And never stay at a Hyatt again. Hilton i can get a free night and use it at a $600 a night hotel. All you need to do is spend $15k on a credit card and I have 3 Hilton cards like this and get 3 free nights for $45k spend plus another 200k in points for the spend.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by catsfroggy1
Yeah I would gladly take the 10k points a piece for a cat 1 to 4 as these certificates are completely worthless now anyway. Every hotel I Used one of these certificates in the past has been moved up to category 5. Give me 20k for my two certifcates and i can get 10k Southwest points for them. And never stay at a Hyatt again. Hilton i can get a free night and use it at a $600 a night hotel. All you need to do is spend $15k on a credit card and I have 3 Hilton cards like this and get 3 free nights for $45k spend plus another 200k in points for the spend.
Isnt The Hilton/Amex cert a free weekend night? While Hyatt maybe up to a Cat4 there isnt a restriction as to when it can be used as long as its available, which for me makes it much more valuable if you spend the 15K on Hyatts CC at a bonus area you also end up with 45K which IMO is worth more then 200K Hilton
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
Isnt The Hilton/Amex cert a free weekend night? While Hyatt maybe up to a Cat4 there isnt a restriction as to when it can be used as long as its available, which for me makes it much more valuable if you spend the 15K on Hyatts CC at a bonus area you also end up with 45K which IMO is worth more then 200K Hilton
I'm not sure what the time period is, but for some length of time, Hilton has been allowing those to be used any day of the week.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm not sure what the time period is, but for some length of time, Hilton has been allowing those to be used any day of the week.
Correct but Im sure once things are sort back to normal, it will again be a weekend night, and Hilton also has taken away the free breakfast and instead gives youa few bucks to get maybe a coffee and cake, at least thru 12/31
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by craz
Correct but Im sure once things are sort back to normal, it will again be a weekend night, and Hilton also has taken away the free breakfast and instead gives youa few bucks to get maybe a coffee and cake, at least thru 12/31
with changing travel patterns involving reduced number of business trips, I predict AMEX/Hilton free night certs going forward will be usable any day of week.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Colin
with changing travel patterns involving reduced number of business trips, I predict AMEX/Hilton free night certs going forward will be usable any day of week.
we all can predict what we want to and have sound basis for it, yet that doesnt mean thats how it will end up. Anyway its now I think a 6/22 exp date and I hope youre correct as I cant use then before 12/31
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Club Access Awards expiring too

I dont see any comments about these. I have 5 Club Access Awards which were extended til 12/31/21 however there are virtually no club lounges open--so where does Hyatt expect us to use them. (I haven't found ANY lounges open at hotels I was considering to stay--perhaps there are some but I have found none). I am Explorist and have found Hyatt to be generous in the past but this seems a big oversight to me. I called them last week and was told Hyatt was still considering this extension. I wait in hope.

I was able to use my 3 expiring cat 1-4 awards at Hyatt Centric Milan. My first Centric and not terribly impressed. Tiny room. But I was happy to have been able to use the certificates.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grand Hyatt Berlin had their club lounge open when I was there a few months ago.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:08 pm

Overseas, I found most lounges open. In the US most are still closed. At this point they really need to do something with the club lounge certificates, like converting them to points or using as breakfast instead.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
All lounges in Australia - a country that until very recently prohibited it's citizens from leaving the country - have been closed for many months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.