Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt / Bilt Rewards partnership - Hyatt points for rent payments

Old Jun 22, 2021, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

An interesting tie up between Bilt and Hyatt. It's unclear just how easy it will be to actually use Bilt (or the cost)... but may be worth it for a few thousand Hyatt points every month.

World of Hyatt and Bilt Rewards Team Up to Help Renters Earn Points for Travel

Renters enrolled in new, first-of-its-kind Bilt Rewards program will be able to redeem points for World of Hyatt stays and experiences through paying their largest monthly expense

Photos(1)

CHICAGO (June 22, 2021) Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE:H) and Kairos, a portfolio of brands that builds and invests in solutions across healthcare, housing and financial services, today announced a new strategic collaboration between World of Hyatt, Hyatts award-winning guest loyalty program, and Bilt Rewards, the first-of-its kind rewards program for renters to earn points on rent.

Through this relationship, nearly 109 million renters across the U.S. have access to Bilt Rewards to earn points on monthly rent payments, that they will be able to transfer at a 1:1 ratio to travel and reward partners, with World of Hyatt as the exclusive hotel transfer partner at launch. Bilt Rewards members who are World of Hyatt members will be able to convert their Bilt points to World of Hyatt points and redeem them at more than 1,000 participating Hyatt hotels and resorts worldwide across 19 brands, such as Thompson Hotels, Grand Hyatt, Andaz, JdV by Hyatt, and Hyatt House. Additionally, through World of Hyatts other strategic relationships, points can be redeemed at participating M life Rewards destinations, Small Luxury Hotels of the World (SLH), and Lindblad Expeditions.

We are thrilled to team up with Bilt Rewards to empower people to explore all that World of Hyatt has to offer and experience the joy of travel, said Amy Weinberg, senior vice president, loyalty, brand marketing and insights, Hyatt. Through this collaboration, a routine and often dreaded expense like rent can quickly translate into points to be used for one-of-a-kind experiences, such as a girls weekend at Thompson Nashville, a relaxing beach getaway to Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riviera Maya, or a food lovers night-out at Park Hyatt Paris-Vendme.

Housing is the single largest expense for the vast majority of Americans, says Bilt CEO and Founder Ankur Jain. Until today, rent has been the only major expense on which you couldnt earn anything back. With the announcement of the Bilt Rewards program, we are excited to collaborate with World of Hyatt as the exclusive hotel transfer partner at launch, as its distinct benefits and unique offerings are unrivaled in the industry and will offer renters the opportunity to turn their rent payments into valuable World of Hyatt stays and experiences around the world.

To start earning Bilt Rewards points that can be converted to World of Hyatt points for World of Hyatt stays and experiences, qualifying U.S. residents can enroll in Bilt Rewards or apply for the Bilt Mastercard. Bilt Rewards members must be a World of Hyatt member (enroll here membership is complimentary) and link their Bilt Rewards and World of Hyatt accounts through the Bilt Rewards app to transfer points.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 6:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Bilt is tied in with points.com transfers.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'll always welcome more opportunities to earn points but this seems on the periphery as it is rent only and I would suspect that the hardcore WOH members are not renters. Also odd that this partnership earns Hyatt points as Bilt seems to be centered around cashing out points for housing cost reductions.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I'll always welcome more opportunities to earn points but this seems on the periphery as it is rent only and I would suspect that the hardcore WOH members are not renters. Also odd that this partnership earns Hyatt points as Bilt seems to be centered around cashing out points for housing cost reductions.
Most "hardcore" WOH members I know are in consulting/finance and based in big cities where it's more common to rent vs. own, so I don't think it's an insignificant segment. It's clearly targeting the "millennial" crowd rather than "boomers". With rent being (most people's) largest monthly personal expense I think it's an interesting prospect (if the fees involved are reasonable).
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:38 am

Count me as the target market! We own leisure properties elsewhere and rent a unit exactly where we want to live for only slightly more than association fee, property taxes, and insurance. I've got this bookmarked to see if we would be interested in taking advantage. Wonder if you can use it for commercial lease payments too?

​​​​​Edit: doesn't look likely, they signed on with big name groups, I doubt that it'd be viable for my independent landlord. Oughta be pretty sweet for mega-urban renters, though - 3c rebated on rent with no fees is really attractive!

Last edited by synergistic; Jun 22, 2021 at 9:49 am
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Nothing is said about the earnings or transfer rates.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Nothing is said about the earnings or transfer rates.
In an article I just saw, it said 2pts/$ on rent, and the above article says 1:1 transfer to Hyatt - assuming that's accurate, it's pretty attractive.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Wow, I wish this had been around in my 20s. It seems like a great no-fee way to pick up a truckloads of points on otherwise non-earning spend.

Originally Posted by synergistic
​​​​​Edit: doesn't look likely, they signed on with big name groups, I doubt that it'd be viable for my independent landlord. Oughta be pretty sweet for mega-urban renters, though - 3c rebated on rent with no fees is really attractive!
According to their FAQ (https://www.biltrewards.com/help?a=W...TqeI8iHnuxYVjg) they seem willing to mail a check or send an ACH to smaller landlords.
synergistic likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Looks like you need their credit card, otherwise the points earned is capped at 250 pts/mo.
Need to spend $3500/mo on their card in order to get a 2x multiplier on rent, capped at the first $2000. See this article
synergistic likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by kevinjm
Looks like you need their credit card, otherwise the points earned is capped at 250 pts/mo.
Need to spend $3500/mo on their card in order to get a 2x multiplier on rent, capped at the first $2000. See this article
I like the end of the article. Please let me know if this happens...

But if, in the future, the card opens up payment options for other housing costs like mortgages or property taxes that would be a true game-changer.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
This seems like a rather obscure addition to the program.

But, if you spend 3500 on non-rent (3500 points) and let's say 2000 on rent (4000 points), then, you maximize your earnings rates (7500 points for 5500 in spend per month, including rent). So, I suppose you are a bit better off than collecting points that way vs the other CC options out there (accounting for bonus categories etc?)?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkOK

But, if you spend 3500 on non-rent (3500 points) and let's say 2000 on rent (4000 points), then, you maximize your earnings rates (7500 points for 5500 in spend per month, including rent). So, I suppose you are a bit better off than collecting points that way vs the other CC options out there (accounting for bonus categories etc?)?
The other CC options for paying rent usually come with a fairly substantial surcharge (~3%).

This would also be an excellent way to meet a minimum spend bonus if you don't go with the Bilt card. Being able to put $3k+ on a card every month would take a lot of the hassle out of card sign ups.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MarkOK

If you consider that you would typically gain zero points for paying your rent anyway, then this makes it 7500 points for $3500 in spend, which is decent. But there are 2x cards with more transfer partners than the Bilt card and without the runaround.

However, the Bilt card can be a good replacement for the non-category spend that would otherwise go on a WoH credit card, for those of us who go that route given the weak earning multipliers of the WoH card. For example, on $1000 non-cat spend, you could earn 3000 points if your rent payment exceeds $2k/mo, which is easy on the coasts. That's effectively a 3x multiplier. This beats trying to spend $15k to get the Cat4 cert. Will keep my eye on this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I agree in certain circumstances you can eek out some extra points this way -- you all don't have to do the math for me. There is a benefit to getting to collect points on rent. But you have to consider the opportunity cost that comes from putting spend on their credit card at a 1 pt/$ earnings rate. When I rented, I felt like I just didn't have that much in expenses outside of eating out and traveling (which get 2+ points/$ on various cards). Even now that I own a money pit known as a house, an amazing percentage of my spend is best off getting 5% off using Amazon's credit card at Amazon, 5% off using Lowe's credit card at Lowes, etc.

Originally Posted by kevinjm
For example, on $1000 non-cat spend, you could earn 3000 points if your rent payment exceeds $2k/mo, which is easy on the coasts. That's effectively a 3x multiplier. This beats trying to spend $15k to get the Cat4 cert. Will keep my eye on this.
That might be the most reasonable target for most people.

The 15K for a cat4 certificate though is basically a 1 pt/$ bonus. (Of course, best to grab it on the bonus category spend anyways)

Last edited by MarkOK; Jun 23, 2021 at 3:42 pm
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:38 am

Running the numbers, assuming that you'd only use categories usually worth ~2.5%...

If your landlord is in the network, using your own card lets you kill off signup bonuses with an otherwise unrewarded spend - no fees for rewards for your rent plus 250pts. At first glance, I'd do this no matter my situation - but it's especially nice for churners.

If not, and you want them to send your landlord a check...

$250 spend earns you 250 pts plus half a point for each dollar of rent - for $2000 in rent, that's 1250 pts - effectively 7.5% back on the $250 in unbonused spend.

$1000 spend earns you 1000pts plus 1pt/$ in rent, so 3000pts - effectively 4.5% on the $1000 diverted spend

$2000 spend earns you 2000pts plus 1.5pts/$ on rent - 5000pts is effectively 3.75% on the $2000 diverted spend

$3500 spend earns you 3500pts plus 2pts/$ - 7500pts is effectively 3.2% on the diverted $3500 spend

To my complete shock, unless I've made a pre-coffee error, this is viable for anyone (that has a hefty rent payment) who can commit to least $250 in unbonused spend every month. I expect I'll be getting one and committing to $250/month, and will use it more heavily when I know I can hit a higher tier. Our rent is a little cheaper, so my rebates are a little lower, but it's still better than I get elsewhere. Higher rent makes it even more valuable. Really did not expect this, can someone check my math?

Last edited by synergistic; Jun 24, 2021 at 10:27 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.