Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best Option for already booked stays on Sold Out Dates.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

Luckily I made 2 bookings well in advance in case we decided to stay 4 nights (and continue and another resort elsewhere) instead of 5.

Here’s the issue -

So I have (2) Reservations one is for 4 Nights at Andaz Papagayo, the other is for 5 Nights. The 5th night is the night they’re absolutely Sold Out apparently for our November stay.

For the 4 Night stay we were able to apply a TSU as they had a Standard Suite available. However, we’ve decided we want to stay the full 5 nights. Unfortunately since they’re sold out we can’t apply a TSU or do anything further with the 5 night reservation it seems.

So I’m wondering what would be the best course of action at this point?

Would it be possible to shorten the 5 Night Sold Out booking to just the 1 Night or since it’s Sold Out is that not an Option?

Worst Case scenario we don’t mind switching rooms on the 5th night if needed it’s an inconvenience but not the end of the world. Hopefully though the hotel would have something extra in inventory or someone would cancel closer to November.

Also this would be our Honeymoon stay so any thoughts/advice is welcome for this scenario.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
So I have (2) Reservations one is for 4 Nights at Andaz Papagayo, the other is for 5 Nights. The 5th night is the night they’re absolutely Sold Out apparently for our November stay.
Are these concurrent reservations? If so, perhaps the fact that you're holding onto an extra room that you know you won't use is part of the reason why the hotel is sold out.

Would it be possible to shorten the 5 Night Sold Out booking to just the 1 Night or since it’s Sold Out is that not an Option?
No. Modifications of existing reservations must meet the current rate and stay controls. If you can't book a new reservation for that 1 night, the system won't let you modify your existing reservation for only be for that single night.

Inventory is controlled by hotel. They set their rate and stay controls. As such, the only people that can help you would be people working at the hotel. You could try contacting the hotel. Although, if you are indeed holding multiple reservations for the same nights, the likelihood that someone there will want to help you out decreases.

Also this would be our Honeymoon stay so any thoughts/advice is welcome for this scenario.
You're only going to get married once (hopefully). If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't be messing around with suite upgrades. I'd splurge and book the exact room/suite that you want.
LondonElite and 59Impala like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Are these concurrent reservations? If so, perhaps the fact that you're holding onto an extra room that you know you won't use is part of the reason why the hotel is sold out.

No. Modifications of existing reservations must meet the current rate and stay controls. If you can't book a new reservation for that 1 night, the system won't let you modify your existing reservation for only be for that single night.

Inventory is controlled by hotel. They set their rate and stay controls. As such, the only people that can help you would be people working at the hotel. You could try contacting the hotel. Although, if you are indeed holding multiple reservations for the same nights, the likelihood that someone there will want to help you out decreases.

You're only going to get married once (hopefully). If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't be messing around with suite upgrades. I'd splurge and book the exact room/suite that you want.

As I wrote in the original post the only issue is the very last night so overlapping reservations isn’t the issue. I’m actually lucky I booked both otherwise I wouldn’t even be able to get a Suite for the 4 Nights.

Both reservations are booked on points rather than cash rates. Because they are sold out on the 5th night and close to sold out on the first 4 nights switching to any type of cash rate would be very costly (cheapest room is the Andaz Suite $974 a night vs. 20k points).

Unfortunately even if I wanted to pay more I’m currently in the best bookable room/suite for the first 4 nights as everything else is sold out other than the one Suite type I’m in the Andaz Suite.

The only issue is the 5th Night which is why I’m asking for the best advice given the situation.

Last edited by Matt4200; Jun 15, 2021 at 9:46 pm
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Being a student of your previous posts on this forum, I consider you to be the most wired to Hyatt guy on here. My advice, stick with the four night rez and hope things work in your favor for the final night. Ditch the 5 night rez. If things don't work out, you have freedom of movement.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hedoman
Being a student of your previous posts on this forum, I consider you to be the most wired to Hyatt guy on here. My advice, stick with the four night rez and hope things work in your favor for the final night. Ditch the 5 night rez. If things don't work out, you have freedom of movement.
Definitely appreciate the sentiment. I guess I find it a bit strange that the system allows shortening of reservations to get around minimum stay requirements (especially for properties like Andaz Maui) but it can’t shorten it from 5 nights to 1 night.

I emailed MHC to hopefully work with someone directly on property to see if anything could be done.

Not sure if push came to shove and I absolutely had to choose either 4 nights in a Suite or 5 Nights in a Base King Room which I’d take. That’d be a tough call to make especially for a honeymoon.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:38 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Because of situations like this, I tend to book my Hyatt points stays a bit split up at times. E.g. if I was sure I want to stay 4 nights, I'll book those under one reservation and would look to use the TSU (if I had any ). For the 5th night that I may or may not want to use, I'd book it separately to gain flexibility.

Now of course, if I really want to stay 5 nights, in the end, I'd be looking at a room change on the last night, burning another TSU or maybe rather outright making a standard suite booking for that night in question, especially if the TSU for first 4-night stay cleared.
​​​​​​
One could also speculate and hope for a courtesy upgrade on last night (not likely if sold out of course) or ask for cash upgrade upon check in for that one night. Various options possible that may work (or not). YMMV of course.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demue
Because of situations like this, I tend to book my Hyatt points stays a bit split up at times. E.g. if I was sure I want to stay 4 nights, I'll book those under one reservation and would look to use the TSU (if I had any ). For the 5th night that I may or may not want to use, I'd book it separately to gain flexibility.

Now of course, if I really want to stay 5 nights, in the end, I'd be looking at a room change on the last night, burning another TSU or maybe rather outright making a standard suite booking for that night in question, especially if the TSU for first 4-night stay cleared.
​​​​​​
One could also speculate and hope for a courtesy upgrade on last night (not likely if sold out of course) or ask for cash upgrade upon check in for that one night. Various options possible that may work (or not). YMMV of course.
We wouldn’t mind changing rooms so much if needed.

I’d assume the cash differential on the last night would be $500+ for the Suite alone. I’d be willing to burn another TSU if needed, but for a $500+ Difference we’d rather switch rooms.

The situation though seems like it may be that either we can have 4 Nights in a Suite and no 5th night at all because it doesn’t sound like modifying the 2nd reservation down to 1 night is an option OR stay all 5 nights in a standard King Room.

Which tbh is a tough choice to make.

I’m hoping MHC can work with the hotel management and make the worst case that we’d have to switch rooms the 5th night and the best case that by some miracle the hotel could accommodate us into a suite all 5 nights.

Rather than choosing between the two scenarios above.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Just to be clear.
You have one reservation for 4 nights, for example Dec. 1- 5
You have another reservation for the same 4 nights, plus one more, for example Dec. 1-6.

And you have no intention of using both rooms ( for example for other family members)?

I would consider what you are doing to be unethical in tieing up inventory, and if I were the hotel management I would have very little
sympathy for your request.

If I was booking with the uncertainty of the last night, I would make one reservation for 4 nights, and another for the 5th night only.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Call Hyatt and have that 5 night reservation shortened to one night. (I can’t tell if you’ve tried doing this?)

Send an email to the hotel and tell them that it’s your honeymoon and you have 2 reservations, hoping you can stay in the same room for all 5 nights.

Don’t overthink it.
gbdbld likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:29 pm

I'd take the 4 nights in a suite then move to a different hotel for 2 or 3 more nights. It is your honeymoon.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Just to be clear.
You have one reservation for 4 nights, for example Dec. 1- 5
You have another reservation for the same 4 nights, plus one more, for example Dec. 1-6.

And you have no intention of using both rooms ( for example for other family members)?

I would consider what you are doing to be unethical in tieing up inventory, and if I were the hotel management I would have very little
sympathy for your request.

If I was booking with the uncertainty of the last night, I would make one reservation for 4 nights, and another for the 5th night only.
I guess here is where the miscommunication is -

We originally booked for 5 nights thena week or so after booking we tried to apply a TSU to which we were informed they were “Sold Out” for our November Dates and they couldn’t.

To clarify I double checked the timeline and January 10th is when I booked the November reservation. January 19th is when I was told no Suites were available so I reached out directly to the hotel and was told that somehow they were Sold Out 10 months in advance in the middle of a pandemic.

After some searching around on Hyatt.com it appeared the only night actually Sold Out was the last night.

Because of this we decided to make a 2nd booking for the first 4 Nights and apply a TSU to guarantee a Suite for our Honeymoon stay.

So to clarify we didn’t make both reservations to purposely tie up inventory, we didn’t make them at the same time, we only made the 2nd reservation to try to get a Suite for at least 80% of our stay and are completely willing/understanding to move rooms mid-stay. Also, the stay is in November meaning the hotel has a significant amount of time to sell the 2nd room once Hyatt is able to whittle it down or whatever happens.

Last edited by Matt4200; Jun 16, 2021 at 2:00 pm
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
...Because of this we decided to make a 2nd booking for the first 4 Nights and apply a TSU to guarantee a Suite for our Honeymoon stay.
Understood. But at that point I would have cancelled the 5 night reservation. and then tried to book the final night - either at the same hotel or at another property.
You have been double-booked ( tieing up inventory that you know will not be used) for 5 months now.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Understood. But at that point I would have cancelled the 5 night reservation. and then tried to book the final night - either at the same hotel or at another property.
You have been double-booked ( tieing up inventory that you know will not be used) for 5 months now.
And what if we decide we’d rather stay the 5 nights in the Base King Room? There’s no way or possibility of booking only the 5th night and switching to another resort for only 1 night would be costly and very burdensome.

That’s the conundrum.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 5:16 pm

And what if we decide we’d rather stay the 5 nights in the Base King Room? There’s no way or possibility of booking only the 5th night and switching to another resort for only 1 night would be costly and very burdensome.

That’s the conundrum.
Right but you really shouldn't be tying up two reservations like this. Make a decision and move on, right now you possibly could be holding us someone else's dream vacation.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tonyr4
Right but you really shouldn't be tying up two reservations like this. Make a decision and move on, right now you possibly could be holding us someone else's dream vacation.
And I agree which is why I’m trying to resolve it and decide 5 months ahead which is (I feel) a significant amount of time rather than deciding 1-3 months ahead.

As an update MHC thinks she can whittle the 5 night down to 1 for the sold out day which I and other posters didn’t believe was possible so that’s news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.