Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Lodge at Spruce Peak - Destination by Hyatt REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Lodge at Spruce Peak - Destination by Hyatt REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I did not even try that. BUT, because I had to find a pet friendly hotel, I simply asked my concierge to find one in a driveable distance. He actually made the 3 reservations. But I'll keep it in mind and try next time.

I think the problems were caused because they were a destination hotel. I never had this issue having them combined at regular Hyatts.
When you use the “Pay My Way” feature (and I think whenever you use award certs in general) you’ll end up with one reservation that says it contains “multiple rooms” even if you just reserved a single room for multiple nights. It’s kind of odd but I’ve never had issues with it.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by sch_flyer
We are here now, and had a lengthy discussion with the FD manager about upgrades at this property. The short version is they will upgrade Globalists to studio units for free (although not proactively), but any further upgrades are an upcharge that is somewhat negotiable. The main reason is that every room/unit is privately owned, and when occupied, the owner receives a cut of the proceeds, and there are minimum agreed upon rates for all unit types (so the upcharge is to that minimum rate, supposedly). Since studio rates are close to standard rooms, they are still within that minimum rate range. Very confusing.

Did your upcharge count as eligible spend for point earning?
We actually needed the studio, and there are 2 varieties of them. I think they gave us the higher variety, which basically is a better view. I didn't mind paying the $36 per night to guarantee getting a microwave.

Unless something has changed, I have always received points for the upgrade fee.
sch_flyer likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
When you use the “Pay My Way” feature (and I think whenever you use award certs in general) you’ll end up with one reservation that says it contains “multiple rooms” even if you just reserved a single room for multiple nights. It’s kind of odd but I’ve never had issues with it.
This has always been the case for me. I've also blended award, certificate, and paid nights without any issue.

I suspect this hotel is a rare case.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Been a month since checking out, with followups direct to hotel, and the stay still hasn't been fixed from 0 points/0 nights. It's an annoyance that shouldn't occur.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by pWei
Been a month since checking out, with followups direct to hotel, and the stay still hasn't been fixed from 0 points/0 nights. It's an annoyance that shouldn't occur.
My concierge got in touch with them and manually added the 3 nights, but not the points. He had to get copies of the corrected folios from them. Once he did, he manually posted the points. He also gave me some points for my trouble. I did not ask for anything except for it to be fixed.

The hotel FD manager also sent me an email apologizing for the issues we encountered.
pWei likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 3:24 pm

A bit late in posting this, but figured late is better than never. We were there for 4 nights in mid-July with a couple of grade school aged kids. Had a fun time overall, though like others here we noticed the staff shortage and there were times where it impacted the overall experience. For example, very limited housekeeping, limited dining options (especially weekday lunch), running out of pool towels, not all activities running – especially during the week, etc. Food was just ok overall, though we definitely didn’t go hungry and tons of places in the main town to eat.

All that said, the grounds were great for a family. Gondola ride to the top is free if you have a full Epic pass for the upcoming winter (not one of the multi-day passes – we learned the hard way) and we enjoyed our lunch at the top of the mountain. Our kids spent a lot of time hanging out in the main grassy area between all the buildings and found new friends to play with every day. There were lawn games set up every day, a smores set up on the weekend nights, and there’s a fun playground that is a bit hidden (our kids called it a ninja warrior course). Also enjoyed the big outdoor heated pool (lots of families with kids) and took advantage of some of the hikes (only a few of them are good for younger kids but we did ok). Booked a Prive rate and they included a buffet breakfast for all 4 us (2 kids/2 adults), which was appreciated. As noted by others, no nights or points posted from our stay and it took a couple of follow-ups with Hyatt to get them posted (though they did finally post and all of our meals (tax/tip/drinks) were included in the points total). We stayed in a Junior Suite which was fine for our family with the kids on the living room pullout couch (I didn’t find it too comfortable, but kids didn’t mind) and parents in a separate bedroom. No early upgrade was possible due to how this hotel is set up with Prive and at check-in they said an upgrade wasn’t available (not sure if a Globalist would have had better luck). Staff was friendly overall.

Bottom line: Not in a rush to return until staffing is back to normal and the full set of activities and food options are open, but would definitely spend another long weekend there in the future assuming those issues are gone.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 2:15 pm

We've stayed at the Stowe Mountain Lodge, now the Lodge at Spruce Peak, a number of times over the last decade. Our most recent stay was in late June.

A few observations to add to the discussion -
-They are short staffed. Towels were always out at the pool. Long lines for valet. (Will need to figure out where the self-parking is; I see the lots in the back but never figured out how to get there......)
-Hyatt advertised the "Work from Hyatt" package, but this hotel removed the desk in the room we were in. They re-modeled the room and got rid of the desk. The desk is now replaced by a fixed luggage rack.
-It made for a very suboptimal work setup. The only flat surface I could do work on was the coffee table; way too low to be able to type comfortably. It was also far from the plug and I had wire running across the room.
-I don't know if all the rooms are remodeled at this point, but would suggest checking with the hotel if you have a need for a desk.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
I'm guessing the main restaurant is now open, and breakfast is no longer at the Alpine Club?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:02 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Question Planning to visit for ski trip - what to expect?

We are planning to visit this resort for a ski long weekend this January.

What am I expecting as far as where to store the ski equipment, i.e. they have a place downstairs or am I dragging it to the room? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by miles_navigator
We are planning to visit this resort for a ski long weekend this January.

What am I expecting as far as where to store the ski equipment, i.e. they have a place downstairs or am I dragging it to the room? Thanks in advance.
They have a nice ski valet room that stores both your skis and boots overnight. I boot up in the valet in the morning, grab my skis that are waiting outside on the rack, then walk over to one of the lifts. It's all pretty seamless. The Lodge at Spruce Peak really is the best ski on ski off hotel in the Northeast and it's better than most ski on ski off places you'll visit out west.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:30 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
The Lodge at Spruce Peak (Stowe, Vermont) = Great Resort but No Upgrades

The Lodge at Spruce Peak

1 Review | 100% Recommended

The Lodge at Spruce Peak

7412 Mountain Rd Stowe, VT US 05672

The Lodge at Spruce Peak (Stowe, Vermont) = Great Resort but No Upgrades (21 Photos)

The Lodge at Spruce Peak

I had never stayed at the “Destination” brand by Hyatt before so for my reservation at The Lodge at Spruce Peak (Stowe, Vermont) I went in with limited (imperfect) knowledge and came away a bit surprised at the lack of simplicity for Hyatt loyalty benefits at this brand.  Overall it’s a nice resort with service quite good relative to other parts of the United States, but because of the lack of upgrade it’s possibly better value for non-Globalists.  Also I would mention that unlike other mountain resorts which can be excellent in the summer, Spruce Peak felt a bit dead so I might recommend it more for the winter than the summer, whereas in many ski resorts in Canada, staying in the summer can be lively as well.  

It would be somewhat unfair to compare Stowe to Europe, and because of my limited knowledge of the U.S. market I therefore I compare Stowe mostly with Mont Tremblant up north, and to a lesser extent Whistler and Banff.  I personally prefer the “compact” nature of Mont Tremblant and other resorts such that you get out of the hotel and everything is within walking distance, whereas at Spruce Peak it would be great for ski-in ski-out but for access to other areas of Stowe you need to drive or take the (free) shuttle bus.  This was probably a bigger issue when staying in the summer because there was not a whole lot in Spruce Peak with most shops and restaurants closed.  Nonetheless, the area at Spruce Peak looked great.

1_IMG_3371.jpegIMG_3315.jpegIMG_3314.jpeg1_IMG_3313.jpeg1_IMG_3312.jpegIMG_3297.jpeg

Room

I booked the entry level room which does not have a kitchenette, and as Globalist given the relatively low occupancy at the time of my stay (during week days) I expected a modest increase to a studio (one short of suite) based on reports by others in the past.  I simply assumed that the lack of suite was because of the limited benefits of the Destination brand and I was mentally prepared to accept a lesser upgrade in part because the studios have a kitchenette.  Once at the hotel I was told my assigned room was the standard one since this is what I booked.  I asked about Globalist upgrades, then they said no problem they would upgrade me to a better view (4th floor vs 2nd floor) and on the better side of the hotel.  I asked what room type this was, and it was still entry level so I argued this is still not an upgrade and it calls into question why was I not given the "better" room to begin with, even if they don't normally give upgrades.  I asked if they changed their upgrade policy because I know of Globalists getting a studio in the past, and the receptionist said there has not been any change "since I work here", when I asked how long ago, she answered one year.  One other staff told me they are a Hyatt category 7 hotel therefore not required to give upgrades which made it an easy target for my continued resistance to being offered an “upgrade” which was not even one.  I scrambled to quickly read the Hyatt Terms & Conditions and realized that it's quite messy because "Destination" is partially participating with lots of differences between properties with regards to breakfast, using free nights, and upgrades.  In the end after a discussion with a manager who confirmed that there was indeed a change in upgrade policy at this hotel about two years ago (so the previous reports of upgrades on FT were not wrong), I got studio but informed next time I won't.

The studio was not a lot bigger than the entry level room but having a small area to cook was a must for us since we have a baby.  I was told that upgrades are not possible at this property because the units are individually owned.  While I understand that it can lead to less freedom for the hotel to upgrade, nonetheless there are many other hotels where such an arrangement does not preclude the hotel from upgrading, Westin Mont Tremblant being one of the notable ones.

IMG_3298.jpegIMG_3299.jpegIMG_3300.jpeg1_IMG_3301.jpeg1_IMG_3302.jpeg1_IMG_3303.jpeg

1_IMG_3376.jpeg

Service

From my limited experience in U.S. hotels, service tends to be less impressive than elsewhere in the world, but at Spruce Peak it was excellent.  First off they contacted me by phone a few days before arrival to welcome us to the hotel and to ask if we needed anything arranged ahead of time.  Many hotels don’t contact before the stay, and of those that do it’s almost always by e-mail only so the personal touch was a plus.  Once at the hotel it was clear that staff was making an effort to remember guest names, starting with the valet service near reception.  I wish front desk staff had been better informed about why the hotel will not give upgrades because giving me the correct reasons to begin with would have avoided some discussions but other than that I found service to be very good overall.  

In my preceding 8 consecutive hotel stays of 2+ nights in other parts of the world in the last few weeks, housekeeping failed to clean our room at the time we requested (usually during breakfast) at least one day of our stay.  The Lodge at Spruce Peak was the first to get the job done as requested every day.  I guess nowadays with housekeeping staff shortages, getting the room clean stands out positively whereas two years ago failing to get it done stood out negatively but not anymore: failure seems to be the norm but I was glad Spruce Peak was more professional in that regard.

Dining

I am not a fan of American breakfasts but at Spruce Peak they had a few original items, among others they had salad, quiche, and veggie-meat patties to make vegan burgers although without the burger buns.  They not only had the buffet but also a small a la carte menu.  Where they failed to meet luxury standards was asking for payment for cappuccino, the charge later being waived because they did not tell us ahead of time. Anyway, despite the Destination brand having limited benefits, at least at this specific hotel the breakfast is included for Globalists but it’s not the case for all Destination hotels and guests would be better off doing more in-depth homework than I did to avoid disappointment.

1_IMG_3304.jpeg1_IMG_3305.jpeg1_IMG_3306.jpeg1_IMG_3307.jpeg1_IMG_3308.jpegIMG_3309.jpeg1_IMG_3310.jpegIMG_3311.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi worked well with speed of 10-15 Mbps.

Overall

Overall I had mixed feelings about the stay.  On one hand most hotels near Stowe are independent and not part of a chain so if I stayed elsewhere I would not get benefits at all so it’s hard to complain about this hotel not being eligible for upgrades, and Spruce Peak was a nice property very well maintained with pristine common areas.  But if I broaden the competition pool by comparing with the value for a ski resort outside the U.S. I find better value elsewhere but I would not mind returning to Vermont for a change in scenery.

The Lodge at Spruce Peak (Stowe, Vermont) = Great Resort but No Upgrades

Would you like to write a review on the The Lodge at Spruce Peak?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 17, 2023, 10:05 am

My Hyatt Concierge line tells me this is a Destination Residence, not a Destination Hotel, and Globalist TSUs cannot be used here. The property's marketing at Hyatt.com doesn't mention it being a Destination Residence. Has anyone had success in applying a TSU here?
Old Jan 17, 2023, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Colin
My Hyatt Concierge line tells me this is a Destination Residence, not a Destination Hotel, and Globalist TSUs cannot be used here. The property's marketing at Hyatt.com doesn't mention it being a Destination Residence. Has anyone had success in applying a TSU here?
I was unable to for that very reason. I was upgraded though to a small studio with a kitchenette. But this was in the summer. If you're going now, it's not likely you're going to get an upgrade of any kind.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I was unable to for that very reason. I was upgraded though to a small studio with a kitchenette. But this was in the summer. If you're going now, it's not likely you're going to get an upgrade of any kind.
This is definitely one of those properties where you should book what you can live with.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
I got the same line from them a couple years ago when I stayed here. Hoping it had changed since then, I actually called the Glob Reservations line last week and was told the same rules are still in place. It's QUITE annoying that on a night that they offer both Standard Award Rooms for 35k pts and Standard Suites for 53k pts, you can't book the 35k pt room and redeem a TSU to get into the Standard Suite. If the hotel is willing to offer Standard Suites for point redemptions, they should be required to accept TSUs those same nights IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.