Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Montréal Downtown - MASTER REVIEW THREAD

Hyatt Place Montréal Downtown - MASTER REVIEW THREAD

Old Mar 1, 22, 1:48 pm

Programs: Chase, Hyatt
I see the same 100% deposit message for every booking I attempt, too. Oh well, glad to have a Cat 3 Hyatt option in Montreal again.

Deposit Policy
Credit Card Deposit Required 1 NIGHT(S) DEPOSIT WILL BE CHARGED TO CREDIT CARD

Cancellation Policy
Non-Refundable/100 Percent Deposit At Booking
Old Mar 1, 22, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I just made a booking for September and it went through just fine. No problem with a 48 hour cancelation policy.
During festival season ( most of the summer) I can certainly understand a more restrictive policy.
Old Jun 10, 22, 4:59 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hi All,
I will be attending what I assume will be the Grand opening day of Hyatt Place Montreal as well as nights at the Grand multi million dollar
renovation/ reopening of the Vogue a Curio Hotel by Hilton and the Ritz Carlton Montreal
The Hyatt Place seems to be about 10 to 15 minutes from both other properties Fingers crossed for a smooth polished experience.
The photos look nice despite being a Hyatt Place.
The international properties of Hyatt Place seem better overall than most any of the US properties most things considered
Typically I avoid them.This message I find odd considering the property has never been even opened
Is that a pre arrival warning don't be disappointed if the food sucks? There was no previous!!!

Note from Hyatt Place Montréal – Downtown
DUE TO ENHANCED FOOD SAFETY AND HYGIENE PROTOCOLS FOR RESTAURANTS AND ROOM SERVICE AS A RESULT OF COVID-19, THE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST BUFFET MAY DIFFER FROM PREVIOUS BREAKFAST BUFFET OFFERINGS.

Absolutely thrilled that the the pre-departure has been scrapped effective June 12th.My thanks to a fellow Flyertalker of 20 plus years who tipped me off early this AM
First reason a refund two the time wasted to get tested and transportation costs to and from.Now I can look forward to a great journey.Woo Hoo
Haven't been out of the US since January 2020!
Have a great weekend all.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 10, 22 at 5:12 pm
Old Jun 11, 22, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
Hi All,
I will be attending what I assume will be the Grand opening day of Hyatt Place Montreal as well as nights at the Grand multi million dollar
renovation/ reopening of the Vogue a Curio Hotel by Hilton and the Ritz Carlton Montreal
The Hyatt Place seems to be about 10 to 15 minutes from both other properties Fingers crossed for a smooth polished experience.
The photos look nice despite being a Hyatt Place.
The international properties of Hyatt Place seem better overall than most any of the US properties most things considered
Typically I avoid them.This message I find odd considering the property has never been even opened
Is that a pre arrival warning don't be disappointed if the food sucks? There was no previous!!!

Note from Hyatt Place Montréal – Downtown
DUE TO ENHANCED FOOD SAFETY AND HYGIENE PROTOCOLS FOR RESTAURANTS AND ROOM SERVICE AS A RESULT OF COVID-19, THE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST BUFFET MAY DIFFER FROM PREVIOUS BREAKFAST BUFFET OFFERINGS.

Absolutely thrilled that the the pre-departure has been scrapped effective June 12th.My thanks to a fellow Flyertalker of 20 plus years who tipped me off early this AM
First reason a refund two the time wasted to get tested and transportation costs to and from.Now I can look forward to a great journey.Woo Hoo
Haven't been out of the US since January 2020!
Have a great weekend all.
Enjoy it - I had no idea Hyatt has Montreal properties opening this year! Kept getting no availability when I was searching!

I'm on my first international trip ever this week and am scheduled to come back - guess when, June 12th? What luck!

I'm very excited to head up to Montreal this July (also staying at the Ritz - #1 on TripAdvisor and 4.9 on Marriott - what even?). Perhaps, I'll find myself near the HP during one of my walks and can check out construction progress.
Old Jun 11, 22, 9:40 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I'm afraid that 10 to 15 minutes is really quiet the journey from the point of view of what goes on in those two areas of town. The city of Montreal has tried to "improve" the situation around Place Dupuis with les Jardins Gamelin but this corner of town is still not somewhere I would suggest being.

Last edited by ABG; Jun 12, 22 at 10:54 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 11, 22, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
Enjoy it - I had no idea Hyatt has Montreal properties opening this year! Kept getting no availability when I was searching!

I'm on my first international trip ever this week and am scheduled to come back - guess when, June 12th? What luck!

I'm very excited to head up to Montreal this July (also staying at the Ritz - #1 on TripAdvisor and 4.9 on Marriott - what even?). Perhaps, I'll find myself near the HP during one of my walks and can check out construction progress.
HP Montreal was supposed to open later and instead opened some days or weeks earlier so I jumped on it to try it out
Unfortunately the Grand opening of the New Ritz Carlton Nomad won't open as scheduled so they canceled my booking.
Forced to slum it @ The Park Hyatt New York on the way home.I know I will get an outpouring of sympathy in this forum
Ritz Carlton Montreal has a stellar reputation and the first Ritz ever.The building is over 100 years old! I'm anxious to see how they do
There is also a new Centric Montreal coming as many here know.I wish that was opening first instead
ElevatorEnthusiast and pWei like this.
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:52 pm

Grand Opening Day Hyatt Place Montreal 06/14/22 Their first guest!

Hyatt Place Montreal sent out a message prior to incoming guests that nobody would be allowed to check in prior to 3 PM opening day.
My driver pulled up to the property just before 3 PM after passing right by it originally.
Initially I was told that it would be another half an hour to an hour before they had computers running and to go hang out @ Starbucks around the corner.
They were quite insistent we didn't stand by the door so off I went to Starbucks also owned by the group that bought the property
accompanied by the head of security a very nice fellow.Starbucks I later found it is connected directly to the hotel
Under an hour I was checking in and elevators weren't working so the front office took me up in old run down beat up service elevator
packed with housekeepers,mops buckets & linens.The hotel is easily 50 to 75 years old and they performed a miracle updating it! Original service elevator
Was assigned a high floor view room.The view was excellent and the windows quite dirty.All first day guests received a mini bottle of champagne
The neighborhood is a lively slightly dodgy area with quite a bit of homeless,transients with a mix of Greenwich Village NY
meets Hillcrest San Diego vibe with a somewhat rougher edge IMO.Much nightlife and restaurants in the general area
Hyatt Place Montreal is a real asset to the neighborhood and could help turn it around if the right premium merchants sign leases
over time Hyatt Centric should be a one up when it opens

I felt ok during daytime walking around a bit.That said there were also some mentally unstable individuals floating around.
Covid has exasperated the problem as it has in many cities
I'd suggest especially women not to be wandering around at night alone but others disagreed with me I spoke with
Coming from the neighborhood of where I stayed previously at The Ritz Carlton and the grand opening
of the Vogue Hilton a Curio hotel it was a downgrade despite the interesting diversity that may appeal to some more than others
(Vogue is also owned by the HP Montreal owners investment group
Sound proofing in the room wasn't great and there was an outdoor festival across the street that was quite lively and noisy but quieted down by midnight
People seeking the deep inner city vibe should love it.

The Good
A welcoming warm and friendly outgoing team that meant well some experienced some still learning on the job
Solid newer very modern Hyatt Place new generation rooms
Some of the nicest public areas (Mezzanine) of any Hyatt Place I've seen worldwide other than lobby that was just OK
The best variety of food ever seen at any Hyatt Place in an attractive setting.The brand is clearly heading in the right direction and this may easily be HP greatest dining to date
but still not there yet.Grapes were unwashed and kind of sticky.Orange slices out of season tasteless granola.Even Quaker Oats has good packaged granola
Tell me how do you eat a hard boiled egg in a shell without running water? Whats the trick?Scrambled eggs were edible just ok blah
( I could eat it ok but still didn't like it) Coming from the breakfast at the Ritz Carlton I was ruined as it was fantastic 5 star standards like a good Park Hyatt
In this forum I've met some folks that love Hyatt Place breakfast they will be in heaven as its vastly superior to anything Hyatt Place/Hyatt House
in North America with a real kitchen and cook.The highlight were the professional kind experienced servers in the dining room willing to assist with anything you may need
That's a first at any Hyatt Place ever and I hope that lasts
The hotel will be opening some premium large suites in the near future (sadly not standard suites though)
A pool I didn't tour it
A Fitness center

The Bad
The hardest bed I have ever tried to sleep on in any Hyatt ever.Think rocks and cement (subjective some love super firm)
Cheap scratchy linens(perhaps they will soften after some laundering) Slept at Hyatt Place Austin airport just fine recently BTW
Coming from other luxury hotels steeped in high end linens and comfort didn't help matters any so I slept on the couch(should have opened the sofa bed)
finally at 4 AM after counting sheep for hours
Isolated issue on my room/floor I had no electricity in most of the room as circuit breakers were blowing day and night
and finally approaching midnight I switched rooms with no working tv bed lights fridge etc
I had an unwelcome visitor insect floating around the bathroom but it was limited to my first room and as long as it wasn't a bed bug
I could live with my new roommate

Would I go back?
Possibly but if I did I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred US and though they are commanding 15k in points I personally don't see it worth that
The old Intercontinental was less in points for an old 4 star.Most hotels were starting to get a premium in a sold out city as the Grand Prix
was only a day away and the reason hotels rushed to open their doors ready or not.
Being the hotel was priced at 4 star pricing 300 plus dollars for limited service I would rather stay at a full 4 Star
I would also need a foam topper but many others prob couldn't care less.
The hotel is recommended and as far as some of the negatives it really depends on the guest and time should smooth out the opening bumps in the road

I will try and download some photos shortly

Lobby Entrance

Front desk

Bedroom

Living Room

Bathroom Vanity Bathrooms seem a bit tight in width but still nice

Shower

Shower stall

Massive bottle of champagne

Coffee anyone?

Fridge

Hallway

View from bedroom managed to shoot around the dirt best I could

Pantry

Easy on the ice cream all but at least charged to the room you can earn WOH points

ooops duplicate couldn't delete

Surprised to see a chipped mirror in a brand new room!

Darn clean them windows folks!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 22, 22 at 11:37 pm
Old Jun 22, 22, 10:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Thanks for the review. Took a look for next week but >$300 on a corporate rate. No thanks despite lamenting the conversion of the Hyatt Regency to Doubletree. I could stay for a lower/same rate at the Hampton/Renaissance//Doubletree in a better location. Shame on Hyatt for not being able to keep the (now) Doubletree under it's flag.
Old Jun 22, 22, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Sounds like quite an adventure! Travel is all about experiences, for sure!
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:07 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Thanks for the review.

NICE to see Nespresso in an HP!!
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala View Post
Thanks for the review.

NICE to see Nespresso in an HP!!
If Hyatt would spy on the Hilton Canopy beds or even within their own brands Andaz 5th Avenue NYC,
fix breakfast quality get a premium gym I would be a Hyatt Place addict
Hyatt Place Montreal trumps the hard product even of Australia and European Hyatt Place properties.They are really improving
Old Jun 23, 22, 6:30 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

If Hyatt would spy on the Hilton Canopy beds or even within their own brands Andaz 5th Avenue NYC,
Hyatt Place Montreal trumps the hard product even of Australia and European Hyatt Place properties.They are really improving
Did they have any door prizes for their first ever guest? GH Jeju didn't for the first guest or first Globalist but this was in the middle of the pandemic.

Hyatt Place Bangkok is still very solid for a HP.

Last edited by Aventine; Jun 23, 22 at 6:38 am
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:25 am
formerly a193991

That is good to see. Have been positively surprised so far of non-US HP's, i.e. Zurich Airport, Dubai, London
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
Did they have any door prizes for their first ever guest? GH Jeju didn't for the first guest or first Globalist but this was in the middle of the pandemic.

Hyatt Place Bangkok is still very solid for a HP.
Unfortunately no but they did leave me with an emotional support insect I discovered while shaving that I became very fond of
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:26 am
formerly a193991

Unfortunately no but they did leave me with an emotional support insect I discovered while shaving that I became very fond of
which you even take on board an airplane - very cool

Search this Thread