Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Is Hyatt trying to erode the value of the Full Globalist Breakfast Benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2021, 2:39 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Historically what drove my business to Hyatt over the past decades to become a Diamond/ Globalist
and later a Lifetime Globalist many hundreds of thousands dollars later
was the generous breakfast for two no questions asked worldwide.
That all started to change years ago when the Park Hyatt New York opened sometime after the grand opening months
They appeared to keep micro managing the benefit and changing up the policy in their favor a number of times seeing
which new version would least upset their best customers.
Every time I checked in I had to guess what the shrinking benefit would be.Sometimes they would mention other times SURPRISE its on you!
Thankfully their odd policies remained exclusive to just this property for the most part.
So problem solved I tended to avoid the hotel overall favoring Andaz or Grand Hyatt
That too is changing in my eyes with the Grand near closing and the Andaz Wall street a shadow of its former self
in every way and many of the newer Hyatt's in NYC becoming overpriced limited service properties

The World of Hyatt dollar Globalist $ amount limit never was never an actual rule in the terms and conditions and still isn't.

Fast forward post being vaccinated I am seeing an unwelcome pattern in a small variety of hotels
like Park Hyatt Chicago/ Hyatt Regency Chicago setting 27 dollar per person limits
Mind you we previously could go to the club and have whatever we wanted.I rarely have hot breakfasts ever opting for continental cereal salmon fruit etc
Posts from other Globalists guests seem to be running into the same issue/experience

At the Hyatt Regency Chicago last weekend that 27 dollar credit was reasonably adequate the Park Hyatt no way with
near ten dollar bottles of water and other extreme prices on the menu
My hunch is behind the scenes of World Of Hyatt is a few of the ex SPG alumni who seem to be going the SPG Marriott way over time.
Hyatt never played the seasonal game with award nights.We have that to look forward to as well
This is def the old SPG business behavior that drove me from their programs and many of their select hotels,.
In the future I see doing a fraction of the past 100 nights a year I was doing as many of Hyatt's.(hope I'm wrong)
Rates are now quite high (in some cities) & the service has diminished to new lows even with low occupancy (some are offering fair rates)
The Grand Hyatt San Francisco no longer answers their phone for example.You have to text them.And at best for now its grab and go
Granted many of the hotels need time to get back on their feet early on.Of course I am not too concerned in the short run.

At the end of the day I can find other luxury hotels at sometimes @ half the price of premium Hyatt's (like the Gwen in Chicago)Vs The Park Hyatt
where I can buy my breakfast with a similar meager elite 20 to 25 dollar credit but still come out way ahead
when the rate is 200 a night vs 400 and up at the Park Hyatt
That buys me a ton of breakfast anywhere.
What the heck do eggs and toast cost the hotel as long as the guests keep coming and they stay loyal.
Thoughts anyone?
karung99 and ceebee100 like this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 29, 2021 at 2:52 pm
Old May 29, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Historically what drove my business to Hyatt over the past decades to become a Diamond/ Globalist
and later a Lifetime Globalist many hundreds of thousands dollars later
was the generous breakfast for two no questions asked worldwide.
That all started to change years ago when the Park Hyatt New York opened sometime after the grand opening months
They appeared to keep micro managing the benefit and changing up the policy in their favor a number of times seeing
which new version would least upset their best customers.
Every time I checked in I had to guess what the shrinking benefit would be.Sometimes they would mention other times SURPRISE its on you!
Thankfully their odd policies remained exclusive to just this property for the most part.
So problem solved I tended to avoid the hotel overall favoring Andaz or Grand Hyatt
That too is changing in my eyes with the Grand near closing and the Andaz Wall street a shadow of its former self
in every way and many of the newer Hyatt's in NYC becoming overpriced limited service properties

The World of Hyatt dollar Globalist $ amount limit never was never an actual rule in the terms and conditions and still isn't.

Fast forward post being vaccinated I am seeing an unwelcome pattern in a small variety of hotels
like Park Hyatt Chicago/ Hyatt Regency Chicago setting 27 dollar per person limits
Mind you we previously could go to the club and have whatever we wanted.I rarely have hot breakfasts ever opting for continental cereal salmon fruit etc
Posts from other Globalists guests seem to be running into the same issue/experience

At the Hyatt Regency Chicago last weekend that 27 dollar credit was reasonably adequate the Park Hyatt no way with
near ten dollar bottles of water and other extreme prices on the menu
My hunch is behind the scenes of World Of Hyatt is a few of the ex SPG alumni who seem to be going the SPG Marriott way over time.
Hyatt never played the seasonal game with award nights.We have that to look forward to as well
This is def the old SPG business behavior that drove me from their programs and many of their select hotels,.
In the future I see doing a fraction of the past 100 nights a year I was doing as many of Hyatt's.(hope I'm wrong)
Rates are now quite high (in some cities) & the service has diminished to new lows even with low occupancy (some are offering fair rates)
The Grand Hyatt San Francisco no longer answers their phone for example.You have to text them.And at best for now its grab and go
Granted many of the hotels need time to get back on their feet early on.Of course I am not too concerned in the short run.

At the end of the day I can find other luxury hotels at sometimes @ half the price of premium Hyatt's (like the Gwen in Chicago)Vs The Park Hyatt
where I can buy my breakfast with a similar meager elite 20 to 25 dollar credit but still come out way ahead
when the rate is 200 a night vs 400 and up at the Park Hyatt
That buys me a ton of breakfast anywhere.
What the heck do eggs and toast cost the hotel as long as the guests keep coming and they stay loyal.
Thoughts anyone?
Though a dollar amount isn’t spelled out, a specific order type is -

Globalists will receive daily complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges) for each registered guest in the room, up to a maximum of two (2) adults and two (2) children.”

Considering that at most properties an entree also includes eggs and choice of a protein I feel that is sufficient.

If a property is offering Breakfast to Globalists you are entitled to just that, regardless of any specific $ amount imposed as long as your order adheres to the benefit menu provided above. (Entree or Buffet along with coffee and juice for up to two adults and two children with the age of what is considered a child at the property’s discretion).
Fly Me To The Moon likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
If the hotel skimps on a free breakfast, they had better be the least expensive name brand hotel in the area to get my business.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 7:47 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
If the hotel skimps on a free breakfast, they had better be the least expensive name brand hotel in the area to get my business.
That's why I still keep my IHG Spire/AMB status. At least they're upfront about no free breakfasts. Years of evaluating the savings sans breakfast pays off again. Not worth eating breakfast at most hotels anyway, so BYOB-well at least instant espresso. My favorite was the Courtyard going to a $10 coupon for breakfast. The St Augustine Courtyard charged $10 (including tax) just for a breakfast sandwich, so juice and coffee costs extra. Pass.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Korean Hyatts seem to be keeping up the Globalist breakfast standard but have seen PH Busan actively reducing portion sizes. Breakfast is still "unlimited" but you have to order a few portions to make a satisfying meal of it. When breakfast goes to 1 entree, 1 juice and 1 coffee then I would be done with Hyatt in Korea.
Old May 29, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
LOL. I see the OP is still railing against the PH NY because they won't let him create his own $100 complimentary breakfast.
Old May 29, 2021, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If Hyatt encourages or allows the gutting of the hotel breakfast benefit for Globalists, then that is pretty much going to push me away from using Hyatt as much and it will likely drive me into the arms of Amex FHR, Virtuoso and Hyatt Prive type bookings in the kind of situations where I may choose a Hyatt anyway and want breakfast included. But at that point, I’m also less likely to give the business to Hyatt than if Hyatt maintains its breakfast benefit for Globalists.
Skink, lsquare and NJNY like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 2:03 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
I just finished a stay at the PH DC. The front desk stated I had a $40 credit per person, but this wasn’t actually enforced.

It’s worth noting I had additional rooms on my reservation booked on a Prive rate, so they may have been referring to that as it wasn’t clear.
Old May 30, 2021, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have yet to see any real enforcement of a maximum spend on BF.

But it's perfectly understandable for a hotel to want to have the ability to crack down on people ordering 4 breakfast entrees for no other reason than they can...
MSPeconomist and 59Impala like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If Hyatt encourages or allows the gutting of the hotel breakfast benefit for Globalists, then that is pretty much going to push me away from using Hyatt as much and it will likely drive me into the arms of Amex FHR, Virtuoso and Hyatt Prive type bookings in the kind of situations where I may choose a Hyatt anyway and want breakfast included. But at that point, I’m also less likely to give the business to Hyatt than if Hyatt maintains its breakfast benefit for Globalists.
Hyatt Prive doesn't always equal a full, complimentary room service breakfast. They just give you what they give Globalists or other paid breakfast rate guests. I was charged for choosing room service under Prive before.
Old May 30, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WN CP, Hilton GoId, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Citi, Barclay, Chase, Amex, CapOne
Agreed... my experience with the $15 vouchers at HC Chicago Loop to be used at a place 2 blocks away this week were comical. Definitely did not meet the T&C. Feels very Marriott-esque, and will drive me away from Hyatt if this is a trend that continues. There's not time for hassle and petty math at breakfast. Then it's no longer a benefit, but a stressor.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I have yet to see any real enforcement of a maximum spend on BF.

But it's perfectly understandable for a hotel to want to have the ability to crack down on people ordering 4 breakfast entrees for no other reason than they can...
There are people that can really eat. I'm one of them during days where I had a very light dinner.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
If we weren't just coming out of a pandemic that decimated the hotel industry last year, I would you say you might have a point.

While annoying in the short term, I would let these hotels + programs re-gain their a feet a bit this summer w/high occupancy rates + improving ADR before making a final judgment.

If one wants to go to Marriott (where they have increasingly zero control over rogue properties on a host of benefits) or to Hilton (where their new policy for rest of year is a small, defined $ benefit), think they will find some seriously brown grass.
dw, lsquare and TravelingChef like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Without perks, it is best price wins and eat at Cracker Barrel.
strickerj and hoipolloi like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
There are people that can really eat. I'm one of them during days where I had a very light dinner.
Generally, I skip the food at breakfast, and really only order coffee and some water. However, there are times when given time zone differences, I've had to burn the midnight oil and work throughout the night and only finishing up during the early morning hours. This is probably the only time I'll order food for breakfast. I'll be so famished where a single of serving of 2 eggs and some sausage just isn't going to do it.

I'll explain and assure them to bill my room if necessary, but, if I recall, no property ever has.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.