Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Walper, JdV, Kitchener, Ontario Master Review Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 2:54 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=124096

The Walper Hotel, a JdV by Hyatt Hotel, Debuts Today in Kitchener, Ontario

92-room boutique lifestyle hotel offers a locally inspired experience and joy-driven service as brand grows with intent in Canada

CHICAGO (May 12, 2021) – Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE: H) announced today the opening of The Walper Hotel in Kitchener, Ontario marking the second JdV by Hyatt hotel in Canada following the opening of The Anndore House last month in Toronto. The 92-room boutique hotel caters to free-spirited guests seeking vibrant and socially inclusive stays – bringing people from all walks of life together.

“We are excited to welcome guests to experience the JdV by Hyatt brand’s heartfelt commitment to inspire playful travel through neighborhood connections in the City of Kitchener,” said Ann Marie Faria, general manager, The Walper Hotel. “The Walper Hotel’s guests will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in our diverse destination while enjoying our eclectic boutique hotel’s joy-driven service.”

• Historic King Suite at The Walper Hotel

• Lokal Cocktail Lounge at The Walper Hotel

• Seating at Lokal Cocktail Lounge in The Walper Hotel

• Exterior of The Walper Hotel
The Walper Hotel is a premiere wedding and leisure destination for Waterloo Region and Ontario residents, thanks to its stunning ballroom, stylish restaurant spaces, boutique guest rooms and heartfelt guest experience.

The Walper Hotel also features TWH Social restaurant located at 1 King Street West, Lokal Cocktail Lounge on the second floor of the hotel and The Barrister’s Lounge breakfast room. These outlets feature locally inspired menus by Chef Nicole Hunt and welcome hotel guests and members of the community alike. New in 2021, a fresh set of cultural events and unique collaborative programming curated celebrating the local community are underway.

World of Hyatt members can look forward to rewards and benefits at The Walper Hotel through the World of Hyatt loyalty program. Members who book directly through Hyatt channels can enjoy personalized care and access to distinct benefits including Guest of Honor, confirmed suite upgrades at time of booking, diverse wellbeing offerings, exclusive member rates and much more.

For more information or to book a stay at The Walper Hotel, please visit www.walper.com.

Last edited by 59Impala; May 12, 2021 at 3:03 pm
Old May 13, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
It's nice to get more Hyatt options in Canada, especially with the PHT (hopefully) re-opening at some point this year.
59Impala likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Korean Air Morning Calm Premium Club
Has anyone stayed here since they joined Hyatt?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
As someone hailing from KW and who visits family there throughout the year, this is a nice addition.

Some of the rooms are on the small side though, the square footage range on the standard room is pretty big for a North American property and even the largest size is just at par with competition like the Delta. It's a historic building though. Good option for Hyatt loyalists. Wonder how parking is handled.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Jul 13, 2022 at 8:47 pm
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
As someone hailing from KW and who visits family there throughout the year, this is a nice addition.

Some of the rooms are on the small side though, the square footage range on the standard room is pretty big for a North American property and even the largest size is just at par with competition like the Delta. It's a historic building though. Good option for Hyatt loyalists. Wonder how parking is handled.
Pretty sweet that Ontario has two JdV hotels. An easy badge pickup for ON residents and a whole lot of other folks in US border states too.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I've completed multiple stays at The Walper, all on points (it was a cat 1 property in 2021 and early 2022, an incredible value). The rooms I've had were all fairly large and spacious and the amenities are fairly nice (Illy coffee machine, environmentally-friendly water bottles, toiletries made by a local soap company etc). The breakfast is excellent and served a la carte. The service has been top notch every stay, during covid when the breakfast restaurant was closed they would bring me breakfast from a nearby restaurant to my room for example, and I was always greeted by name when coming back.

Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by valdor
I've completed multiple stays at The Walper, all on points (it was a cat 1 property in 2021 and early 2022, an incredible value). The rooms I've had were all fairly large and spacious and the amenities are fairly nice (Illy coffee machine, environmentally-friendly water bottles, toiletries made by a local soap company etc). The breakfast is excellent and served a la carte. The service has been top notch every stay, during covid when the breakfast restaurant was closed they would bring me breakfast from a nearby restaurant to my room for example, and I was always greeted by name when coming back.

Any limits on the Globalist breakfast? Looks like a wonderful property.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Aventine
Any limits on the Globalist breakfast? Looks like a wonderful property.
The Globalist breakfast is limited to one entrée from the menu per guest (the portion size is decent though so that was never an issue for me). Coffee and tea is unlimited.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Wonder how parking is handled.
There’s a small dedicated parking lot just past the hotel on Queen St. I checked in last Sunday fully prepared to park in the city ramp around the corner but was told parking was comped as a Globalist. Weird. I thought that was only on awards. Was given a paper notice to put on the car’s dashboard. Hope I don’t get a nasty surprise at check-out but also don’t want to question it either!

Good location, a number of hipster and ethnic restaurants nearby, the in-house one is good too and not overpriced IMO. Due to length of stay (12 nights) no suite was available, but I’m in a good-sized king room on the top level. There’s real hardwood flooring, a large armoire in lieu of a closet, fridge hidden inside a cabinet, Illy coffee maker (which seems to be not working correctly), fancy toiletries, stall shower, etc. I asked last night and was told I could move to a suite tomorrow, but I think I’m gonna pass. Packing up and moving is not what I want to be doing tomorrow.

In order to use the TV with my PC and ipad, I had to get the FD to dig up the OE Samsung remote as the locked-down remote does not allow changing the TV input; Hyatt is going backwards here as other hotels have given up this captive TV nonsense. I don’t WANT to use the Chromecast; it sucks and does not support mirroring a PC or tablet and Google does not need to know what I’m watching.

My other issue is that the AC in the room does a poor job of dehumidifying, and it’s muggy af out there, so it often feels damp and clammy. I mentioned this to FD — who are overwhelmingly friendly and accommodating — and they did something which helped, but it could be better. I had the same problem in TLV last month so maybe it’s dependent on the type of HVAC installed. I don’t know anything about HVAC systems.

Unrelatedly, how many weed shops can survive in a given area? There’s at least four dispensaries within two blocks of the hotel! I can’t imagine all of them being in business in a year or two.
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:13 pm

Thanks for the details! What's there to do in the area for a tourist?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Thanks for the details! What's there to do in the area for a tourist?
Not a whole lot. Kitchener has a small downtown and is mostly suburban sprawl outside of that.

The Kitchener blues festival is going on this weekend right outside the hotel, but I’m not a big blues fan. Good for people-watching. I’m going to see friends in Toronto tomorrow.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:06 pm

Thanks, so there's really no reason to go there unless you actually need to be there. Too bad, looks like a nice hotel.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks, so there's really no reason to go there unless you actually need to be there. Too bad, looks like a nice hotel.
It makes for a lovely weekend getaway from Toronto or Hamilton for sure. We enjoyed a Yoga studio a few doors down, dinner down the street, a haircut in the very nice salon connected to the hotel, and THE Museum right across the street: https://themuseum.ca/
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Useful batch pickup for those in the Kitchener-Waterloo/Western Ontario area too. Not a bad staycation spot for people in the GTA.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:35 pm

It absolutely is, and the immediate neighborhood is interesting and eclectic with a number of fun restaurants. I'm here for an extended customer visit nearby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.