Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Early checkout on award points stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2021, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

Had to check out a day early to get home. Does Hyatt or the hotel process a refund of the points for that night automatically?
Old May 10, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You will have to deal with the hotel.

I don't believe, although I could be wrong, that you are eligible for a refund without prior approval.
Old May 10, 2021, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some hotels have early departure fees, IME $25-$100 if you leave earlier than the departure date on your reservation and don't inform them of the early departure at check in. If there's a fee, you shouldn't pay for the night(s) you don't use.

Otherwise, it's somewhat at the discretion of the hotel and would depend on when you inform them that you're leaving early. IMO if there'a a 24 hour cancel policy for the reservation and you tell them more than 24 hours in advance (using the customary time of day for the cancellation policy), it *should* be OK.

Just leaving suddenly isn't wise unless there's a true emergency. It's best to talk with someone like a front desk supervisor and note their name. Try to get a printed bill before leaving too, showing the actual dates of your stay, but this might not be possible if you pay with points and don't have any additional room charges.

I don't know whether one would contact the hotel or Hyatt to get points refunded.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 2:57 pm

Even if you confirm(ed) with the front desk, it's best to contact WOH (or better yet, a concierge if you're a globalist) to handle this for you.

I had a similar situation recently. Booked a 3-night mattress run, but after checking in decided I only needed 2 nights to meet my night threshold. Spoke to the front desk on day 1 -- who reassured me that that was fine and that my points would be "automatically" returned to my account.

Well - that didn't happen. Opened up an accounting case after-the-fact with the service line, then got no response, then pinged my concierge with a reference to the accounting case, and they just gave me the points back as bonus points. They informed me it's best to go through corporate to get points refunded -- as the individual hotel sites are often misinformed or specific staff don't exactly know what they're doing.

I think what basically happens when you cash in points is it gets exchanged in the corporate systems for some sort of electronic certificate that the hotel redeems and gets credit for on your checkin/checkout. The hotel may or may not have the ability to modify the duration/value of the certificate. But the corporate mothership certainly can.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 2:20 pm

No Automatic Point Refund

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Had to check out a day early to get home. Does Hyatt or the hotel process a refund of the points for that night automatically?
I'm going through this process now. I checked out of the Hyatt House DC Wharf a night early in July because my plans changed, and I just didn't like the hotel (very low water pressure, and I'm probably too high maintenance).

I asked the front desk 24-hours before my planned early departure, and the gentleman said it would be no issue, that he would amend the stay and the points would be credited back. He did in fact amend my stay reflecting the new dates.

10 days later the points are not back and I contacted WOH Globalist line (not concierge) and they quickly pointed out the T&Cs in 2.6 “Unused portion of Award Forfeited”:

"Unused Portion of Award Forfeited. No credit will be issued for any portion of an award that is not fully used. If a Member has an Award Reservation, checks in, and departs earlier than the confirmed checkout date, the Member forfeits any unused portion of the award and corresponding points."
However, after informing the Gobalist agent of my conversation with the front desk, she put me on hold and called the hotel directly. Within 48-hours, my account had been credited back the points.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
I moved out four days early this week on points stay.
Step 1.....ask hotel if it is a problem. No problem for me.
Step 2...email to concierge....three hours later points in account.

It really depends on the hotel to set terms of early check out. They have zero to do with points going back to your account. Just like WoH has zero to do with you checking out early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.