Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Getting points for restaurant spend: 15x spend back thru 20 Dec2022

Old May 8, 2021, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
Promotion active again until December 20, 2022:

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/en/offers/dine-local.html

Normally, 5x base points are awarded for eating at a Hyatt restaurant. With this promo, 3 x 5 points are awarded, so 15x (5x base and 10x bonus).
Give the server your Hyatt number at the time of payment. You will see the number on your credit card receipt.

Terms & Conditions

Members may earn triple points on Eligible Non-Stay Charges for food and beverage purchases at participating outlets at participating Hyatt hotels and resorts between September 15, 2022 at 12:00 a.m. CDT and December 20, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. CST. Outlet participation is limited. Offer may not be available at all properties or at all outlets at a participating property. Offer is not available at Alua Hotels & Resorts, Breathless Resorts & Spas, Dreams Resorts & Spas, Hyatt Residence Club, Hyatt Zilara, Hyatt Ziva, Lindblad Expeditions, MGM Resorts, Small Luxury Hotels of the World, Sunscape Resort & Spas, Vivid Hotels & Resorts, or Zoëtry Wellness and Spa Resorts. Please ask outlet associates about participation. Members may earn a maximum of 100,000 Bonus Points per transaction under this offer (in addition to any Bonus Points you may earn as an elite member). Only Base Points are tripled, and all points awarded under this offer are Bonus Points. You must provide your World of Hyatt membership number at the time of purchase.

Offer not valid on alcoholic beverage purchases in certain jurisdictions. Member must use an Eligible Method of Payment to settle qualifying Eligible Non-Stay Charges. Eligible Methods of Payment do not include, without limitation, guest room or folio charges, hotel “House Accounts,” charges settled by a company or organization, charges billed to a guest room/folio or unit at a Hyatt-branded residence, point redemptions, award redemptions, Hyatt-branded gift cards, Hyatt gift cheques, or property-specific gift card/certificates. Failure to pay for purchases renders this offer void.

Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for Bonus Points to be posted to your World of Hyatt account. Hyatt reserves the right to alter or withdraw this offer with a suitable substitute offer of equal value (if legally required) at any time. Offer is subject to the terms and conditions of the World of Hyatt program available at worldofhyatt.com/terms. Hyatt®, World of Hyatt® and related marks are trademarks of Hyatt Corporation or its affiliates. ©2022 Hyatt Corporation. All rights reserved.

Print Wikipost

Getting points for restaurant spend: 15x spend back thru 20 Dec2022

Old Sep 18, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
technically true, but Kana Kitchen at the Andaz Maui had some issue with there credit card reader, and for whatever reason, zero points. (They used the front desks card reader, which didn’t register the charge as either hotel stay or restaurant). Got zero.
That has nothing really to do with being a hotel guest though, that’s more to do with the restaurant having a technical issue. I’m sure the restaurant could’ve provided you with a physical receipt since their receipt printer wasn’t having issues, you could submit that to MHC who would get the credit processed.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllThePants
Hmm -- I guess that's probably true. But I put it on my Hyatt card because I get the card points associated with the spend also. So never really considered any other card.
I've assumed the best multiplier would be my Chase Sapphire Reserve at 3x, so I think I've always used that in this situation. At the front desk, sure, I use my Hyatt cc.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm pretty sure Morimoto at Andaz Maui does NOT participate in this promo, yet does allow room charges.

So no, I don't think this is a safe assumption.
I realize this is a rhetorical question, but, well, that is confusing. Why would a restaurant go to all the trouble to integrate that level of payment info, but then not participate?

For instance, the website says that the grand Hyatt Seattle participates in the promo. But they have no dining other than a Starbucks counter and the Ruth’s Chris in the lobby.

The only other way they could be participating is if someone found a way to charge room service to a separate bill But that makes no sense.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I've assumed the best multiplier would be my Chase Sapphire Reserve at 3x, so I think I've always used that in this situation. At the front desk, sure, I use my Hyatt cc.
The Hyatt card is 4x $ spend at Hyatt - so it’d edge out the Sapphire Reserve in this case.

The restaurant charges ring up as “Hyatt” spend.

Notwithstanding that the Sapphire would allow you to transfer to non-Hyatt loyalty programs. Most of my Sapphire points end up either going to Hyatt or United in the end, so I don’t really have a problem banking them in Hyatt in the first place.
josephstern likes this.

Last edited by AllThePants; Sep 18, 2022 at 8:07 pm
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
1) you are NOT supposed to get triple points if you do dining and are staying at the hotel

2)however, in practice in the vast majority of places, if you pay at the restaurant and give them your Hyatt number (even if you are staying at the hotel) you will get the points. I have done this dozens of times
59Impala likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
1) you are NOT supposed to get triple points if you do dining and are staying at the hotel

2)however, in practice in the vast majority of places, if you pay at the restaurant and give them your Hyatt number (even if you are staying at the hotel) you will get the points. I have done this dozens of times
Actually, Yes you are. I’ve explained why above, if you take the time to read it, it’ll make more sense. It’s more to separate the charges as there’s already a promo running concurrently (this was also the case with the previous identical promo), and it allows non-hotel guests to earn as well.

Many others have chimed in here and on the previous identical promo stating specifically that the hotel managers and FDA’s have told them as hotel guests to make sure not to charge dining to the room so that they can participate in the promo.

I’ve also asked MHC on the previous promo and on this promo and she has stated that yes hotel guests can utilize this promo, just dine and pay at the restaurant. She provided the explanation that it’s more due to the concurrently running promo she pointed out FAQ’s 5 and 6 and she said it’s also convenient for those not staying at the hotel and encourages spending with Hyatt.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have had many Hotel managers and GMs tell me that staying guests are not supposed to get the points when dining in. They were surprised waiters were taking payment at the restaurants themselves because as one said, "That's not the way it is supposed to work." The goal is to get more business from people not staying at the hotel to drum up F&B revenue.

it is obviously more time consuming for waiters when paying guests pay at restaurant and get points, than a guest simply signing charges to room.

many hotel execs encourage guests to pay at restaurant because they know it'll net them more points. Hyatt people lke to make guests happen and help them find workarounds
59Impala likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I have had many Hotel managers and GMs tell me that staying guests are not supposed to get the points when dining in. They were surprised waiters were taking payment at the restaurants themselves because as one said, "That's not the way it is supposed to work." The goal is to get more business from people not staying at the hotel to drum up F&B revenue.

it is obviously more time consuming for waiters when paying guests pay at restaurant and get points, than a guest simply signing charges to room.

many hotel execs encourage guests to pay at restaurant because they know it'll net them more points. Hyatt people lke to make guests happen and help them find workarounds
That’s not the intention of the promotion at all and many lower end managers or employees don’t know exactly Hyatt’s intentions many of them can’t even interpret the basic WOH T&C.

This FAQ question would’ve been a perfect opportunity to state that since the person is a hotel guest they are therefore ineligible, Hyatt did not state that.

6. I have a food and beverage charge that was applied to a bill for a room. Can I get triple points for that bill?
No, only food and beverage charges paid for at a participating venue will be eligible for the triple points promotion.”

They are literally stating for a hotel guest just to pay directly at the food outlet!

My MHC who is much deeper into Hyatt corporate than a hotel supervisor specifically stated being a hotel guest does not render one ineligible for the promotion.

So it’s been confirmed by many people here as well as Hyatt Corporate that it’s good for both hotel guests AND non-hotel guests.

Hotel managers would not condone fraud and Hyatt would definitely not condone it either. By definition you’re accusing Hyatt Managers of condoning fraud, everyone here of committing fraud, and even Hyatt corporate of knowing fraud is being committed and doing nothing. This is exceedingly ludicrous and just a major misconception of hotel managers, FT’ers, Hyatt corporate and this promotion.

Fraud - “D
eception intended to result in financial or personal gain.”

Here’s further reinforcement -

However, this promotion is targeted toward meals paid for directly with the restaurant — whether you're staying there and not charging the meal to your room or whether you aren't staying at the property at all.”

https://thepointsguy.com/news/curren...romotions/amp/

Last edited by Matt4200; Sep 19, 2022 at 3:40 am
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:26 am

Here is the final confirmation from Hyatt clarifying that hotel guests are also eligible and able to participate in this promotion.

I don’t think any more time should be invested into debating this from anyone here as it’s been clarified and reinforced on multiple different fronts. I’m glad that I was able to clarify this though for people on the fence or unsure about participating while also staying at the hotel.
rhg247 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I went to my local Hyatt for the continental breakfast. I mentioned that I was not staying at the hotel, just wanted the breakfast and will pay. No problem, at checkout, the hostess didn't charged me. Guess I have to try again, as I need some activity in my account since expiration date is December. WOH is not one of my preferred program, but I have some random stays in the past.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by arollins
I went to my local Hyatt for the continental breakfast. I mentioned that I was not staying at the hotel, just wanted the breakfast and will pay. No problem, at checkout, the hostess didn't charged me. Guess I have to try again, as I need some activity in my account since expiration date is December. WOH is not one of my preferred program, but I have some random stays in the past.
Free breakfast is always nice. If you keep having this problem you might be better off buying a few points. If you buy the smallest amount its not too bad.

I had some Hyatt points due to expire in December as well, not enough to warrant spending money to keep alive. So I created an account for P2 and transferred to her account.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by arollins
was it a hyatt place? How do you not get charged for a meal, anywhere?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Schnit
Free breakfast is always nice. If you keep having this problem you might be better off buying a few points. If you buy the smallest amount its not too bad.

I had some Hyatt points due to expire in December as well, not enough to warrant spending money to keep alive. So I created an account for P2 and transferred to her account.
Yes, I'm thinking of doing that, but the breakfast was still going to be the least expensive option vs paying $48 for 2k point.

Originally Posted by Seagull689
was it a hyatt place? How do you not get charged for a meal, anywhere?
Hyatt Regency.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: Hyatt, Southwest, Hilton, Delta
Brand new Hyatt member here. This weekend, I decided to check out this promo at a couple of local Hyatts where I live. Here are the results:

Saturday: Breakfast at an Unbound Collection by Hyatt property. Really good breakfast. Mentioned I wasn't staying at the hotel and wanted to attach my WOH number. Server had no clue what I was talking about. Got his manager. The manager had no clue what I was talking about. The manager had to get someone from the front desk to explain how to do it but it number still didn't get attached to the bill when they ran it.

Sunday: Brunch buffet at a Grand Hyatt. The food was just okay. Next time, I will probably place an order instead. The manager was able to attach the WOH number and it showed on the receipt when paying. Progress.

Because I am new, I am not sure about how fast points are added to your account. But it's Wednesday and the points from the weekend still have not appeared. I took photos of all receipts. I am guessing customer service will need to go back and add these later.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 1:03 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by LineByLine

Because I am new, I am not sure about how fast points are added to your account. But it's Wednesday and the points from the weekend still have not appeared. I took photos of all receipts. I am guessing customer service will need to go back and add these later.
when I did so at HR Zurich Airport, the points posted instantly, i.e. within a few minutes. Yes keep receipts. T&C mention to allow 2-3 weeks, so I‘d do just that and then complain if not received.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.