Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Does Hyatt (or concierge) ever confirm upgrades prior to arrival if no cert is used?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Hyatt (or concierge) ever confirm upgrades prior to arrival if no cert is used?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP

Im staying at the Aviara in a couple weeks. Asked the concierge to see if she can request an upgrade (cause the only room available was an ADA KING).

my question is, are upgrades ever confirmed or given, if I don’t use a suite certificate

not looking for a suite. Just anything other than the base foothill views.

thanks.
Old May 4, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yes - but usually only a day or two before checkin at best.
broncophil and synergistic like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How far in advance? Most hotels preassign rooms, but even so, the upgrade isn't confirmed and can be revoked if someone wants to purchase the room before you arrive.

Virtuoso reservations can get upgrades about 48 hours after booking. Some FHR reservations are eligible (sometimes as the hotel's special amenity or a promo, with better treatment for the Centurion card) for a one-category upgrade at time of booking.
broncophil and writerguyfl like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Hyatt Hotels can of course confirm an upgrade prior to check in.

Pre-Confirmed Upgrades are much more likely though if you book via Hyatt Prive’
Old May 5, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hotels that are willing to assign a Globalist to one of the worst rooms are also likely to ignore a Concierge....
Old May 5, 2021, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Hotels that are willing to assign a Globalist to one of the worst rooms are also likely to ignore a Concierge....
Except a good concierge calls rather than emails and speaks directly to a manager with pull, rather than just an FDA.
Old May 5, 2021, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
by now Id expect almost all Hyatt members are Globalists

Id also think that a hotel will take better care of a returning guest

as well as how many Suites a hotel has and if they think they will sell them or any room that is an up from a reg room
Old May 5, 2021, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
*almost all Flyertalk members in the Hyatt forum

It's a very skewed sample.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by coleslaw
*almost all Flyertalk members in the Hyatt forum

It's a very skewed sample.
wasnt referring to FT members only. Hyatt overdid it when the gave 2x for stays and at the same time lowered the threshold to Globalist to 30 nights.. Im not complaining only that the 30 nights is still in play and its even less if you had the CC and even less nights if you just got the CC

My pt was Im sure any Room Mgr will see tons of Globalists almost every night, so preUPing based on status might be put on the back burner till 3/23 when all Lt Globs will be gone if Hyatt reverts back to 60 nights and doesnt keep it at 30 or run another 2x after 1/22
Old May 5, 2021, 2:21 pm

I confirmed into a suite upgrade without the use of a suite award. For an upcoming stay, I booked a std 2 queen bed room. The suite award does not upgrade into my preferred suite (2 queen bed suite), but into a 1 king bed suite. Hyatt called the property about my situation, and the property was willing to block/assign me into a 2 queen bed suite. Since the suite award can't upgrade into the 2 queen bed suite, a suite award was not used.
synergistic likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 3:40 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
That's crazy-talk ... I told some colleagues and other friends about the promotion who I thought might have interest in this and they still wanted no part of it because none of them are traveling for work and they're not spending their own money for hotel status. You're confusing anecdotal evidence from FT and travel blogs with being representative of a wider population. I think the fact that Hyatt felt it necessary to extend Bonus Journeys after it started is also a good indication that it didn't do as much to move the needle as you are estimating.

My pt was Im sure any Room Mgr will see tons of Globalists almost every night, so preUPing based on status might be put on the back burner till 3/23 when all Lt Globs will be gone if Hyatt reverts back to 60 nights and doesnt keep it at 30 or run another 2x after 1/22
Any competent Room Manager has the ability to easily prioritize who to give the upgrades to based on tools provided them by Hyatt.
Old May 5, 2021, 3:41 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Globalist upgrades are to the best available rooms, including Standard Suites. Prive upgrades are confirmed 24 hours in advance and are one-category upgrades. Those two types of upgrades are not comparable.
Old May 5, 2021, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Beckles
That's crazy-talk ... I told some colleagues and other friends about the promotion who I thought might have interest in this and they still wanted no part of it because none of them are traveling for work and they're not spending their own money for hotel status. You're confusing anecdotal evidence from FT and travel blogs with being representative of a wider population. I think the fact that Hyatt felt it necessary to extend Bonus Journeys after it started is also a good indication that it didn't do as much to move the needle as you are estimating.

Any competent Room Manager has the ability to easily prioritize who to give the upgrades to based on tools provided them by Hyatt.
Im basing it on what a few room mgrs I spoke to at the Hyatts I was staying at told me, namely that theyre seeing alot more Globalists then ever before. And the hotels were not Biz Hotels. i was told if I wanted a suite then I should use a TSU, I explained that for a 1 night stay I wouldnt waste a TSU and ending up in the reg room booked is fine with me.

That said I doubt FTers make up a large % of Hyatts members unless FTers number in the 1,000,000s or 100s of 1000s, and I dont think thats the case. Again if a Hyatt member has the CC then thats 5 out of 30, if they did any stays during Jan?Feb that was 2x and every $5K in Spend on the CC is 2 nights, so I would think at least by 12/31 Hyatt will have enormus amount of Globalists even if FT didnt exist.
Old May 5, 2021, 4:56 pm

That said I doubt FTers make up a large % of Hyatts members unless FTers number in the 1,000,000s or 100s of 1000s, and I dont think thats the case. Again if a Hyatt member has the CC then thats 5 out of 30, if they did any stays during Jan?Feb that was 2x and every $5K in Spend on the CC is 2 nights, so I would think at least by 12/31 Hyatt will have enormus amount of Globalists even if FT didnt exist.
Sure, it's going to seem like there are a huge amount of Globalists right now because very few people are traveling in general and there's basically no business travel right now. So there are less "others" in the mix. Most sane people don't go mattress running during a pandemic to secure hotel status or pick hotels or destinations based on current promotions .
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 5:10 pm

Im basing it on what a few room mgrs I spoke to at the Hyatts I was staying at told me, namely that theyre seeing alot more Globalists then ever before. And the hotels were not Biz Hotels. i was told if I wanted a suite then I should use a TSU, I explained that for a 1 night stay I wouldnt waste a TSU and ending up in the reg room booked is fine with me.

As a general rule of course if you needa suite for your stay apply a TSU. There’s a huge gap between Glob Lites in Comparison to Regular Globalists.

Glob Lites have no TSU’s while Globalists have them.

Glob Lite also likely have no history with individual properties whereas regularly Globalists have that history.

Both are big differences.

But, a Globalist is still a Globalist and if a Standard Suite is available at check in the hotel must relinquish it to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.