Hyatt in Bay Area

Old May 2, 21, 1:10 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hilton, Hyatt House, Del Taco
Posts: 5,331
Hyatt in Bay Area

Just wanted to get a thread going for a general discussion of various Hyatt in the Bay Area.

Specifically, for my current situation, I have a couple of category 4 certs I want to redeem at for a short R&R and would like opinions on HR Monterey vs HR Sonoma.
Which feels more upscale, has better ambiance, cleaner rooms, more attractive grounds, more food options nearby, trying harder despite pandemic, etc.
I know neither hotel seems to get rave reviews.
evergrn is offline  
Old May 2, 21, 2:29 am
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 132
I would absolutely never consider either of those cities as part of the "bay area", not even all that close really. You might want to give us a more specific definition for what you're looking for.

Beyond that, those hotels are like 3 hours apart.

And finally, each of those hotels have their own thread.
arjaok is offline  
Old May 2, 21, 4:51 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 5,153
Originally Posted by arjaok View Post
I would absolutely never consider either of those cities as part of the "bay area", not even all that close really. You might want to give us a more specific definition for what you're looking for.

Beyond that, those hotels are like 3 hours apart.

And finally, each of those hotels have their own thread.
Actually, the HR Sonoma is located in Santa Rosa, which is part of the San Francisco Bay Area-North Bay. Monterey is not really SF Bay Area. That said, having stayed at both, neither one are that exciting, though the Monterey property can have some decent rates if you can't afford the Highlands Inn, or Ventana. My older son got married at the Sonoma Hyatt and while nice, it seems a little overpriced for a less than luxurious hotel. Great area though.

As far as Bay Area hotels, the Hyatt's are pretty non-descript, and usually pricier than some of the other choices. I'm planning on a stay at the Kabuki (formerly the Miyako which I liked.) In the city, I prefer the Intercontinental SF on Howard, with it's great lounge, views and location, at least IMHO. Pricing is pretty good as well, though I usually stay there on a BOGO from the AMB program. Luce, their lobby restaurant, actually advertised their Michelin star rating, though the last time I stayed there was over a year ago, and had some of their food offered in the lounge. The GH downtown is nice, but I haven't been there in awhile.
rbAA is offline  
Old May 2, 21, 5:44 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 13,811
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Specifically, for my current situation, I have a couple of category 4 certs I want to redeem at for a short R&R and would like opinions on HR Monterey vs HR Sonoma.
I would pick HR Monterey. HR Sonoma is in Santa Rosa, CA, which is not a tourist city per se. In comparison, I would expect your experience at HR Monterey be better.

Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
Actually, the HR Sonoma is located in Santa Rosa, which is part of the San Francisco Bay Area-North Bay. Monterey is not really SF Bay Area.
Hold that thought. The definition of Bay Area is a loose one. Officially, it composes of 6 counties - Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara (i.e. pretty much where you can find BART). Then you have the extended Bay Area, like Sonoma, Monterey, etc. To be honest, the definition does not matter to locals, but to outsiders only.
garykung is offline  
Old May 2, 21, 7:03 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 5,153
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I would pick HR Monterey. HR Sonoma is in Santa Rosa, CA, which is not a tourist city per se. In comparison, I would expect your experience at HR Monterey be better.
Hold that thought. The definition of Bay Area is a loose one. Officially, it composes of 6 counties - Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara (i.e. pretty much where you can find BART). Then you have the extended Bay Area, like Sonoma, Monterey, etc. To be honest, the definition does not matter to locals, but to outsiders only.
The recent photos of the HR Monterey do make it look better, but when I stayed there it looked a bit dreary, and it's away from the water, which is one of the big draws for Monterey. I've liked the IC near the Aquarium, but usually tried (and recommended,) some of the B&B's there. Of course, I prefer the Highlands Inn. And, IMHO the wineries are much better in Sonoma County.

I remember there used to be a bus service to Santa Rosa from SF, about the time BART was started, which they named Far Area Rapid Transit aka FART. Having lived in the Bay Area for over 40 years, almost all the areas (city, East Bay, South Bay and including the North Bay for many years, mainly Petaluma with my business in Napa,) I always felt that it was part of the Bay Area.
rbAA is offline  
Old May 2, 21, 8:13 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 52,789
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Specifically, for my current situation, I have a couple of category 4 certs I want to redeem at for a short R&R and would like opinions on HR Monterey vs HR Sonoma.
Which feels more upscale, has better ambiance, cleaner rooms, more attractive grounds, more food options nearby, trying harder despite pandemic, etc.
I know neither hotel seems to get rave reviews.
HR Sonoma is a property that has disappointed me enough times with it's cheapness and poor elite treatment that it is off my list. It is however within easy walking distance of quite a few restaurants. Monterey I've not stayed at but am familiar with the location. While it's a good location you'll have to drive for restaurants.
Originally Posted by arjaok View Post
I would absolutely never consider either of those cities as part of the "bay area", not even all that close really.
Sonoma County is part of the core bay area. Monterey is debatable, but certainly within the range of a quick overnight, which is what I think OP is getting at.

Last edited by Kacee; May 2, 21 at 8:30 am
Kacee is offline  
Old May 2, 21, 9:40 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hilton, Hyatt House, Del Taco
Posts: 5,331
Appreciate all the feedback.
it sounds like Monterey HR is better (or less mediocre) overall.
Not many options, as Iím limited to cat4 or less for the certificates.

Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
I'm planning on a stay at the Kabuki (formerly the Miyako which I liked.)
Btw, Kabukiís tub may not be the deep Japanese tub anymore. If that doesnít matter to you, never mind.
freecia likes this.
evergrn is offline  
Old May 2, 21, 12:32 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DCA/IAD/SFO/SJC/JFK/NRT/LHR/BOS/etc
Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Posts: 345
Actually, if you're looking for 'proper' Bay Area and a Category 1-4 the Hotel DeAnza in downtown San Jose is a Category 4, historical and a bit quirky. Obviously not in Napa/Sonoma or Monterey though...
MasterPlanner is offline  
Old May 2, 21, 6:16 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 5,153
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Btw, Kabukiís tub may not be the deep Japanese tub anymore. If that doesnít matter to you, never mind.
I figured that would be the case, though it was a nice feature of the Miyako, I can probably deal with the change. Need a JdV brand stay for the 5 (or soon 10) brand bonuses. And, it's reasonably priced and easy to access with public transportation (MUNI bus.)

As I recall, the HR Monterey has a golf course, so if you plan on playing, it's OK, though I used to like the Pacific Grove Muni course: with ocean view holes (the layout has changed) and there are 9 holes thru the forest, which are also nice. Like Pebble Beach without the extreme cost. LOL And short par 4's so, it may improve your scores.
rbAA is offline  
Old May 2, 21, 8:02 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 5,153
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Appreciate all the feedback.
it sounds like Monterey HR is better (or less mediocre) overall.
Not many options, as Iím limited to cat4 or less for the certificates.
I was just reading the thread about this hotel, and it reminded me of one other impression I had-it's more like a motel, two story with stairs to the second floor. They don't have pictures of the building on the Hyatt/hotel website which tends to gloss over this fact.
rbAA is offline  
Old May 2, 21, 9:11 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 157
I've been looking to burn some free night certs within driving distance of the bay area and El Capitan Hotel in Merced is on my list of places to try next.

It's a cat 2, few hours away from Yosemite and within walking distance to some good restaurants including 510 bistro. The Castle Air Museum is 15min drive away and worth a visit if you're into aviation.

It's a shame 4B stopped their OAK-MCE service as that was a fun way to get over to Merced from the bay area. The only other non-driving option is the San Joaquins Amtrak service.
JAeX is offline  
Old May 2, 21, 9:52 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hilton, Hyatt House, Del Taco
Posts: 5,331
Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
I was just reading the thread about this hotel, and it reminded me of one other impression I had-it's more like a motel, two story with stairs to the second floor. They don't have pictures of the building on the Hyatt/hotel website which tends to gloss over this fact.
I had seen the HR Monterey thread and yes I did get the sense this would be a glorified motel . Yet thereís this $30mil remodel and also Iíve seen comments about the hotel grounds being nice. Are the rooms interior or exterior access?


Originally Posted by JAeX View Post
I've been looking to burn some free night certs within driving distance of the bay area and El Capitan Hotel in Merced is on my list of places to try next.

It's a cat 2, few hours away from Yosemite and within walking distance to some good restaurants including 510 bistro. The Castle Air Museum is 15min drive away and worth a visit if you're into aviation.

It's a shame 4B stopped their OAK-MCE service as that was a fun way to get over to Merced from the bay area. The only other non-driving option is the San Joaquins Amtrak service.
I will look into this property. Thanks for the tip!
evergrn is offline  
Old May 2, 21, 11:02 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 5,153
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
I had seen the HR Monterey thread and yes I did get the sense this would be a glorified motel . Yet thereís this $30mil remodel and also Iíve seen comments about the hotel grounds being nice. Are the rooms interior or exterior access
I don't recall, but with the winter weather there, I would assume it was interior entrances, and the pictures do show balconies for the rooms. Not sure though. The grounds do look good, with the Del Monte Golf Course right nearby.

You should also consider the Waterfront Hotel, a cat 4, in Oakland, as it's near Jack London Square which has some good eating places, and it has some nice water views. Never stayed there, but it looks good. Also, the Andaz San Diego looks good as well, and the Gaslamp distict has some great eating places. I like it better than the GH Manchester in SD as that one lacks much character, though it's near the water. Or, check out the alternatives for redemption by category on the WOH webite:
https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...-upgrades.html
rbAA is offline  
Old May 3, 21, 8:17 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: RIC
Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,693
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
I had seen the HR Monterey thread and yes I did get the sense this would be a glorified motel . Yet thereís this $30mil remodel and also Iíve seen comments about the hotel grounds being nice. Are the rooms interior or exterior access?
HR Monterey rooms are interior access. Now that the restaurant has reopened, breakfast for Globalist is much better than HR Sonoma (assuming HR Sonoma has reopened restaurant for breakfast). HR Monterey offers a nice base to tour the area. It's right next to Naval Post Graduate School, and also a short drive (though walkable) to the beach. I would choose HR Monterey over HR Sonoma any day, unless I'm going to Sonoma County wineries.
CIT85 is offline  
Old May 3, 21, 9:15 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hilton, Hyatt House, Del Taco
Posts: 5,331
Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
You should also consider the Waterfront Hotel, a cat 4, in Oakland, as it's near Jack London Square which has some good eating places, and it has some nice water views.
I kind of was looking for a place with a chill environment, and Oaklandís not exactly what I had in mind, but I will look into it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
HR Monterey rooms are interior access. Now that the restaurant has reopened, breakfast for Globalist is much better than HR Sonoma (assuming HR Sonoma has reopened restaurant for breakfast). HR Monterey offers a nice base to tour the area. It's right next to Naval Post Graduate School, and also a short drive (though walkable) to the beach. I would choose HR Monterey over HR Sonoma any day, unless I'm going to Sonoma County wineries.
Thanks, HR Monterey sounding better and better.
As of now, Iíve booked Monterey.
evergrn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread