Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Properties not worth using a Suite Upgrade Award (TSU)

Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gengar
United States:
  • Park Hyatt New York - TSU suite ("1 King Bed Suite") is not a true suite; additionally, Globalists are often upgraded to the "1 King Bed Studio Suite" which is a similar size.
Mexico:
  • Thompson Beach House, Playa del Carmen - No true suites. Only benefit is room guaranteed not to be on the ground floor, which means more privacy and a nicer view from balcony; however, given limited number of rooms on the ground floor this isn't really an issue most of the time.
  • Thompson Main House, Playa del Carmen - No true suites, and the TSU "suite" has even less of a "sea view" than many of the regular rooms (where it is possible to see the sea over the rooftops of the bars and restaurants)
Print Wikipost

Properties not worth using a Suite Upgrade Award (TSU)

Old Apr 28, 2021, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
And with TSUs to burn and a limited number of places I can visit, I've got other things to worry about than rationing them for use the "best" suites. Maybe in 2-3 years this thread becomes a bit more relevant.
I've got TSUs to burn, but they're a finite resource and my number of stays per year is much greater than the number of TSUs I can earn.

So far this year my suite success ratio without using a TSU has been pretty high - but now that travel is picking up, occupancy rates are higher and there are (I assume) significantly more Globalists going into 2021/2022 then I expect that success ratio to go down. There's also a new Prive promotion for 3rd/4th/5th night free on suites, which will probably further reduce standard suite availability.

So for someone like me the thread (/the need to be strategic in TSU usage for 2021/2022) is already relevant.
TravelingChef likes this.

Last edited by coleslaw; Apr 28, 2021 at 1:07 pm
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's completely subjective.
I for one am certainly interested to hear people's opinions on what properties provide a meaningful TSU benefit, and which do not.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
It's completely subjective. If people want to share opinions in a single thread, fair enough. But not worthy of a wiki IMO.

For example, I had no problems with the suite at the GH Berlin. Is it a massive space? Of course not. But IIRC suites there come with a free minibar and you are still getting a bigger room.

And with TSUs to burn and a limited number of places I can visit, I've got other things to worry about than rationing them for use the "best" suites. Maybe in 2-3 years this thread becomes a bit more relevant.
The "worth" of a TSU application will always be subjective, but this subjectivity nevertheless will be based on objective facts, which can make this thread useful.
TravelingChef and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: Globallist
would prefer a WIKI on BEST places you USE a TSU. I bet if I search, there's such a beast. carry on......
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Anything without a proper door. Aka not a suite. Hyatt Centric New Orleans, Andaz San Diego, Park Hyatt New York; these are a few scam TSUs that come to mind.
beachfan and TravelingChef like this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Grand Hyatt Seoul, especially, if they're giving you the Jr. Suite to Grand Suite converts.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by stvr
Anything without a proper door. Aka not a suite. Hyatt Centric New Orleans, Andaz San Diego, Park Hyatt New York; these are a few scam TSUs that come to mind.
which is why I loved the GH Berlin. Good soundproofing between one room and the other.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Just for a perspective, us poor Discoverists don't even know what a TSU gets you. I love Hyatt, but it's really hard to get status if you don't travel. I looked into trying to gain some by booking some Work from the Hotel for the Day rates, but around here, that rate was 3 times what it was to stay in the hotel overnight.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Runner123
I love Hyatt, but it's really hard to get status if you don't travel.
That's true - but it's also one of the things that makes Hyatt more attractive to those who do travel. When everyone is a top tier elite then nobody is a top tier elite.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.