Community
Wiki Posts
Search

expiration of points - pandemic

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:25 am
Original Poster

expiration of points - pandemic

I haven't had any activity with Hyatt since before the pandemic. It appears as though all my points will expire on June 30 unless I have some activity. Is this correct? What is the least expensive way to refresh my expiration date?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
1) Transfer 1000 points from Chase if you have any Ultimate Rewards and a UR earning card.
2) Do you have the credit card? If yes, then make a $1 purchase somewhere.
3) If you don't have a hyatt CC, it's really a useful card and worth the AF if you can use a free night cert.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:34 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dogfan
I haven't had any activity with Hyatt since before the pandemic. It appears as though all my points will expire on June 30 unless I have some activity. Is this correct? What is the least expensive way to refresh my expiration date?
If you have the credit card your points won't expire. If you don't, probably the cheapest way to reset the 24 month clock is to purchase points. The minimum is currently 1000 points for $24.

Here's' what Hyatt's FAQs say ..."You can remain active in World of Hyatt in the following ways:

i. Receive points (earned on eligible stay/spend at a participating Hyatt or M life Rewards destination, etc.)
ii. Redeem points (free night stays, room upgrades, Dining, Spa & More, Avis car rentals, etc.)
iii. Receive credit with a travel partner or M life Rewards Tier Credits for a stay at a Hyatt hotel or resort
iv. Gift eligible awards to another member (as permitted under the World of Hyatt terms)
v. Convert points into miles/credit with a travel partner
vi. Purchase points
vii. Combine points with another World of Hyatt member’s account
viii. Have an active Hyatt Credit Card associated with your World of Hyatt account"
Carolina2Cali likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

No, don't have either of those. Any other ideas?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:42 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
​as skj mentioned you can purchase 1000 miles minimum for 24$

https://storefront.points.com/world-...378H_000013286
Carolina2Cali likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:27 pm

Not sure if Hyatt has a shopping portal or dining program similar to the airlines?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by gbdbld
Not sure if Hyatt has a shopping portal or dining program similar to the airlines?
Neither.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Have you contacted Hyatt to see if they'll extend them?

Also, if there's a participating Hyatt near by, you could go and buy a meal and they'll credit your account: https://help.hyatt.com/en/faqs/world...-and-spas.html

And, FWIW, Hyatt's T's and C's:
Will I be required to have activity to keep my World of Hyatt account open?

If a Member’s account is inactive for twenty-four (24) consecutive months, all points in that member’s account will be forfeited at that time, but, subject to the program terms, the member’s account will remain open (with the ability to earn new points thereafter). (Prior to July 1, 2017, members whose accounts were inactive for twenty-four (24) consecutive months had their membership terminated and all points in and awards or benefits associated with that member’s account were forfeited upon termination.)

How can I keep my account active?

You can remain active in World of Hyatt in the following ways:

i. Receive points (earned on eligible stay/spend at a participating Hyatt or M life Rewards destination, etc.)
ii. Redeem points (free night stays, room upgrades, Dining, Spa & More, Avis car rentals, etc.)
iii. Receive credit with a travel partner or M life Rewards Tier Credits for a stay at a Hyatt hotel or resort
iv. Gift eligible awards to another member (as permitted under the World of Hyatt terms)
v. Convert points into miles/credit with a travel partner
vi. Purchase points
vii. Combine points with another World of Hyatt member’s account
viii. Have an active Hyatt Credit Card associated with your World of Hyatt account

Please note that, if a member redeems points for an award reservation and either cancels that reservation or does not actually check-in on the appointed date (i.e., no-shows), that will not count as a redemption of points and will not affect the measurement of that member’s World of Hyatt activity.
David
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Least expensive way is to buy a cup of java at a Hyatt restaurant and make sure they enter your account number for the purchase.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you value your free time at all, you simply buy 1,000 points for $24. The points themselves are worth $15-20, so really you're just burning $4-9 to avoid wasting time with other strategies to get a few Hyatt points.

And FWIW, if you are a member of one of the cashback websites, you will get cashback on points.com purchases. Topcashback for example frequently sends me a "spend $10 and get a bonus $10" offer, so I can bring my per-point cost down to a very attractive level, even when paying regular price.

Originally Posted by 59Impala
​as skj mentioned you can purchase 1000 miles minimum for 24$

https://storefront.points.com/world-...378H_000013286
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Or the most foolproof way ever. Book the cheapest nearby hotel. Highly recommended you actually check in and enter the room even if you don't stay long. Or spend a couple of quiet hours watching whatever it is no one else in your house wants to watch. Remote checkout the next day.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 10:47 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by jayer
Or the most foolproof way ever. Book the cheapest nearby hotel. Highly recommended you actually check in and enter the room even if you don't stay long. Or spend a couple of quiet hours watching whatever it is no one else in your house wants to watch. Remote checkout the next day.
The issue here is that sometimes the "cheapest" nearby hotel is not exactly cheap (i.e. unless you're looking a ways out, you could be looking at something approaching $150 after taxes and fees...the cheapest one in my area is over $140 on that metric the middle of next week).

Honestly, there's a points promo going on right now...I'd advise that OP consider buying 5k points with it (to hit the discount level).
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jayer
Somebody who is concerned about points expiry has clearly not spent any nights in a Hyatt --> couldn't care less about status.

So why do a mattress run where you get a 20% rebate at best, if there's a good promo running? Just buy points...
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
bumping this thread...craigthemif said upthread that if you value your time at all, you're best off buying points (or transferring from chase). he's right.

there's no Hyatt in my city, but was in Charlotte the other day and figured 'how hard can it be? surely I can just buy a cup of coffee or whatever and get the points.' um, no.

dropped in at a hyatt place--front desk person said she'd been with hyatt for 30 years and had 'never heard of anything like that.' I figured maybe that hotel didn't participate and went on my way.

second hotel I tried had a nice restaurant...which was independently owned, so they didn't participate.

checked the website that evening, it claimed the first hotel did indeed participate. I went back the following day and plead my case--with a link to the promotion, and a highlighted screen shot showing the hotel did participate. the person working the desk this day was more than willing to help out and learn something new, and ended up calling her manager to assist. I was there nearly 45 minutes, when I left it still hadn't been completed, but they were both working on to figuring it out. apparently the system to pay for a cookie and the system to pay for a room are separate, or something.

if your time is valuable, might be best just to buy some points.
projectmaximus, skj and LovePrunes like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:53 pm

so just booking a stay requires activity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.