Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR John Wayne Airport (SNA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

HR John Wayne Airport (SNA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 16, 18, 9:49 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SAN / CLD / SNA
Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Posts: 254
Stayed here Thu/19Aug to burn off expiring free cat 1-4 award, so overnighted & hit the OC Fair.
Wanted the beachside HyattRegency but they were sold out on award rooms for the cert, so tried this place out.

External facing room looking out across the runway, high floor.

Very pleasant, nice hotel. Excellent remodel, very clean, new feeling. Solid staff, very helpful, quite young.
A bit surprised is aligned as a Regency, as isn't a huge"mega conference" feeling place. Maybe a Hyatt, even a Centric.

There is a tad bit of noise from the runway, but not really anything to complain about.
You'd have to be incredibly sensitive to noise for it to be an issue.

Great bed, super comfourtable, well designed room (outlets, lighting).
Solid choice for the price.

Last edited by KevinS; Jul 20, 18 at 9:48 am
KevinS is offline  
Old Aug 3, 19, 5:45 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: La Jolla
Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 145
I was staying here Friday night when SNA had the power outage which unfortunately effected this hotel. The situation was completely beyond their control. Saturday morning they gave everyone free breakfast, a $25.00 value. As a globalist they also gave me 8,000 points, enough for a free night there.

An update for anyone planning on staying here in the future: The parking is still free. The second tower is still not ready as of August 2019. This stay they let me check-in at 11:30am. So no problem with early check-in as long as they are not too busy.

I just remembered. Kinda funny that I was watching the sunset from the top floor with the airport in the foreground. The ferris wheel at the Orange County Fair was still going. Everyone was having fun over there while we were in the dark.

Last edited by gadberry; Aug 3, 19 at 6:11 pm
gadberry is offline  
Old Nov 7, 19, 4:11 pm
  #33  
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zulu Romeo Hotel
Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Posts: 4,146
Will be staying here this weekend. Any update if renovations on the 2nd tower are now completed?
59Impala is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 1:19 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SJC/BUR
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Posts: 948
The second tower is now complete. As a Globalist they put me in the first tower, but I think I prefer the second one.
59Impala likes this.
stvr is offline  
Old Nov 28, 19, 11:56 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SEA
Posts: 2,001
I just spent a night at the property; overall a nice modern Regency. I stayed in the main building and was upgraded to a Deluxe room on the top floor as an Explorist staying 1 night.

https://singleflyer.com/2019/11/28/h...-beach-review/ More photos in post.

Is there any chance that the title of this tread can be changed? I didn't know this was the old name of the property and had a heck of a time finding this.


markko likes this.
Single_Flyer is offline  
Old Apr 8, 21, 12:56 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 81
HR John Wayne Airport (SNA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hi Everyone,

I have an upcoming stay at this property. I searched for awhile; this property doesn't seem to have a thread. HR Irvine has been closed for awhile; and HH Santa Ana seems to have a few comments for this property but no dedicated thread.

This property recently moved up a category from 8K/night -> 12K/night after completing a full renovation; so really feedback for this property sans a year ago is outdated.

Anyone have any recent stays or treatment for Globalists during this time? Thanks!
MechMachine is online now  
Old Apr 8, 21, 1:54 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 3,747
Originally Posted by MechMachine View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have an upcoming stay at this property. I searched for awhile; this property doesn't seem to have a thread. HR Irvine has been closed for awhile; and HH Santa Ana seems to have a few comments for this property but no dedicated thread.

This property recently moved up a category from 8K/night -> 12K/night after completing a full renovation; so really feedback for this property sans a year ago is outdated.

Anyone have any recent stays or treatment for Globalists during this time? Thanks!
Stayed most recently over the summer so a little outdated but still relevant I feel.

So Globalists get basically no Guaranteed Suite Upgrades, the rooms or even ďdeluxe roomsĒ are very small, like NYC level or smaller.

Breakfast was so-so not the best Iíd say 6.5/10 (Breakfast rating is for a pre-Covid stay).

The pool and jacuzzi were okay.

Iíd much rather stay at the nearby HR Orange County or HR Mission Bay (both Cat 3ís) just from experience.

Itís an overall okay property, one small perk is Benihana is next door for dinner, they basically share the parking lot.

With that being said I did make sure to book one stay here for later this year before the change. Definitely a good value at 8k points, but very difficult to justify I feel at 12k points. I understand the change is likely due to the cost of renovations as happened with Mar Monte in Santa Barbara.
Matt4200 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 21, 11:39 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 371
I made a mattress run here towards the end of Feb for the bonus nights. The rooms are very small business hotel variety. Huge TV on the wall that seemed to dwarf the room. It really does seem like it was designed for the solo business traveler who's shooting in/out of town for a meeting. It's on the backside of the airport, so not a whole lot around -- a Benihanas on the same block, but couldn't see much else.

When I was staying there (intra-COVID) I think I was maybe one of a handful of guests there -- it was at 10% occupancy at the time. The few people I did see seemed to be holing up to take a flight out the next day. I imagine it may be picking up a bit with folks traveling more now, but with business travel still down my guess is it'll still be pretty empty.

I rather actually enjoyed the breakfast. It's pretty standard HR business hotel breakfast, but the cafe staff was super nice and the few things I had tasted good and as a Globalist they comp'd me everything I ordered. Nothing to write home about, but probably on par or better than most other breakfast options in the immediate area.

But agree - not really worth 12K points and not really worth seeking out unless there's something that requires you to be in that neck of the woods.
AllThePants is offline  
Old Apr 8, 21, 2:27 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by AllThePants View Post
I made a mattress run here towards the end of Feb for the bonus nights. The rooms are very small business hotel variety. Huge TV on the wall that seemed to dwarf the room. It really does seem like it was designed for the solo business traveler who's shooting in/out of town for a meeting. It's on the backside of the airport, so not a whole lot around -- a Benihanas on the same block, but couldn't see much else.

When I was staying there (intra-COVID) I think I was maybe one of a handful of guests there -- it was at 10% occupancy at the time. The few people I did see seemed to be holing up to take a flight out the next day. I imagine it may be picking up a bit with folks traveling more now, but with business travel still down my guess is it'll still be pretty empty.

I rather actually enjoyed the breakfast. It's pretty standard HR business hotel breakfast, but the cafe staff was super nice and the few things I had tasted good and as a Globalist they comp'd me everything I ordered. Nothing to write home about, but probably on par or better than most other breakfast options in the immediate area.

But agree - not really worth 12K points and not really worth seeking out unless there's something that requires you to be in that neck of the woods.
Thanks for the information. Itís a quick weekend trip with something near the airport so I figured this would be the most efficient use of time rather than fighting lax traffic and flying into there. If it was a longer stay id definitely consider a nicer property.

On a related note; anyone have any experience renting a car off property and having it be delivered here? Silver car (audi dealer) is super close by; would be convenient and theyíre running a nice 30% discount here. Wasnít sure if theyíre still running their airport shuttle from SNA
MechMachine is online now  
Old Apr 8, 21, 3:01 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,279
There are almost a dozen restaurants within walking distance; hundreds if you don't mind driving a bit. It's been a spectacular bargain at 8K, so I've spent quite a few nights there. With the increase, I will likely sleep around a bit more, but only a bit since there are no other 8K's nearby that come to mind. I do like the breakfast offerings as well.

Originally Posted by AllThePants View Post
I made a mattress run here towards the end of Feb for the bonus nights. The rooms are very small business hotel variety. Huge TV on the wall that seemed to dwarf the room. It really does seem like it was designed for the solo business traveler who's shooting in/out of town for a meeting. It's on the backside of the airport, so not a whole lot around -- a Benihanas on the same block, but couldn't see much else.

When I was staying there (intra-COVID) I think I was maybe one of a handful of guests there -- it was at 10% occupancy at the time. The few people I did see seemed to be holing up to take a flight out the next day. I imagine it may be picking up a bit with folks traveling more now, but with business travel still down my guess is it'll still be pretty empty.

I rather actually enjoyed the breakfast. It's pretty standard HR business hotel breakfast, but the cafe staff was super nice and the few things I had tasted good and as a Globalist they comp'd me everything I ordered. Nothing to write home about, but probably on par or better than most other breakfast options in the immediate area.

But agree - not really worth 12K points and not really worth seeking out unless there's something that requires you to be in that neck of the woods.
JackE is offline  
Old Apr 8, 21, 5:05 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 371
Didn't bother to check the the immediate surrounds much since it was a mattress run. Saw the Benihana's (which I like!) -- but the blocks are big suburban ones -- so "walking distance" is a pretty fungible unit of measure. I live close enough that I don't normally go down to the JWA to eat - though many good restaurants within driving distance.

Bonus: parking is free! Which isn't at most of the other hotels in OC. Even the HH a few blocks away charges for parking.

Was definitely a bargain at 8K.

With the exception of the Hyatt Huntington Beach -- which is probably the only one I'd call a bona fide resort-ish destination in the area, most of the Hyatts in OC are destination-dictated - the handful by Disneyland (which are all mostly dead since the theme park is closed) and the ones like JWA - where you just need to be close to the airport.
AllThePants is offline  
Old Apr 9, 21, 7:20 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dayton, OH/CVG
Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 824
I was there last week. My company is HQd in Irvine so i am there quite a bit. I like the rooms. Yes they are small ish, but im always by myself so they work. Staff is really nice. They have the temperature check in the lobby when you walk in. All and all ot a bad place to stay. I have never redeemed points here, only accrued. One of my FAVORITE watering holes is a sports bar called Classic Q. Its an easy walk from they Hyatt. That's a big bonus for me.
Ryno1234 is offline  
Old Apr 9, 21, 11:51 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Posts: 917
The rooms are small because this hotel was converted from a Radisson. I've stayed on both sides of the hotel and I actually like the rooms on the airport side and watching the planes. The other side is a view of the roof of a Staples, so, pretty bad.

I really liked the breakfast a lot, but honestly, the real draw of the hotel is its location next to the airport. If you don't need to be next to the airport then I think the HH up the street is a better deal. It has newer, nicer, larger rooms, but of course a HH breakfast doesn't compare to a HR breakfast.
jn in ca is offline  
Old Apr 10, 21, 12:36 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 3,747
Originally Posted by jn in ca View Post
The rooms are small because this hotel was converted from a Radisson. I've stayed on both sides of the hotel and I actually like the rooms on the airport side and watching the planes. The other side is a view of the roof of a Staples, so, pretty bad.

I really liked the breakfast a lot, but honestly, the real draw of the hotel is its location next to the airport. If you don't need to be next to the airport then I think the HH up the street is a better deal. It has newer, nicer, larger rooms, but of course a HH breakfast doesn't compare to a HR breakfast.
A couple notes -

I feel like a standard feature of Hyatt Regency properties is having plentiful suites (most often Junior Suites) available.

So with this property having exactly 0 Standard Suites/Junior Suites on property itís really missing the mark in that regard. Not only that but with the really small rooms itís just hard to feel comfortable at this property, despite the rooms looking more modern.

Breakfast was just average, if Iím being honest Iíve had better at a few Hyatt Houses, not all though. The nearby Hyatt Regency Orange County also has a better Breakfast IMHO. HR SNA doesnít have a horrible breakfast but definitely nothing to write home about for me.

With it now being a Cat 3 with Cash Rates never under $100 nightly I just donít see this property as viable for the average person for the quality provided. Great if your company is footing the Bill, otherwise Iíd Stat at HR OC (frequently has sub $100 rates or HH SNA Category 2 for points redemption stays).

Lastly -

The Front Desk staff were not very friendly or outgoing in comparison to other HRís so thatís a minus for us as well.

Thatís just my take.
Matt4200 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 21, 1:02 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
A couple notes -

I feel like a standard feature of Hyatt Regency properties is having plentiful suites (most often Junior Suites) available.

So with this property having exactly 0 Standard Suites/Junior Suites on property itís really missing the mark in that regard. Not only that but with the really small rooms itís just hard to feel comfortable at this property, despite the rooms looking more modern.

Breakfast was just average, if Iím being honest Iíve had better at a few Hyatt Houses, not all though. The nearby Hyatt Regency Orange County also has a better Breakfast IMHO. HR SNA doesnít have a horrible breakfast but definitely nothing to write home about for me.

With it now being a Cat 3 with Cash Rates never under $100 nightly I just donít see this property as viable for the average person for the quality provided. Great if your company is footing the Bill, otherwise Iíd Stat at HR OC (frequently has sub $100 rates or HH SNA Category 2 for points redemption stays).

Lastly -

The Front Desk staff were not very friendly or outgoing in comparison to other HRís so thatís a minus for us as well.

Thatís just my take.
Thanks for the heads up. I just looked and found a 1 Bdrm Suite at HR OC For the same dates ~$10 more night than HR SNA. Looks like it was one of the last; since I checked again and now there aren't anymore available. I would have just booked into a standard and hoped for an upgrade but availability has been tight on suites for the dates i've been looking past few days, and one just popped up today. Made a speculative booking earlier just in case. Do you have any recent stays at that property? Seems like it is in the middle of a renovation; suites/rooms may not be updated? Also breakfast at this property seems to be hit or miss - some say its just a $25/day credit to Starbucks? I will post over there too but figured you may know.

Kinda in the middle now with some of your guys' comments. Rates are pretty comparable; but HR SNA has free parking and at least from some comments an in restaurant breakfast on offer. Versus HR OC having paid parking, (potentially) subpar breakfast and older rooms.
MechMachine is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread