Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR John Wayne Airport (SNA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HR John Wayne Airport (SNA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Well, to save $2 and my job. Company policy.
Don't they let you pay the difference? I don't really know how all of that works.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:24 pm

Any update with the renovation as this is now in April 2018?

Are the renovated rooms good to go?

How's the globalist breakfast at this property
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Feels Like A New Hotel

Overall more solid build than the HR LAX

Two shower heads

View from 7th floor down to the lobby and restaurant.

Plenty of outlets to charge everything

Step out on balcony. Leave screen open or closed. Close the black out curtains when you are ready to sleep

View from balcony. Room is quiet with window closed

Room Service 24 hours

Big TV

Welcome letter from Manager and amenity

Some guests may not like this style of bathroom door. It closes much better than the ones at the HR LAX

Clock in big mirror. Light in vanity.

Iron in the narrow closet. Very nicely done.
River in Sight likes this.

Last edited by gadberry; Apr 29, 2018 at 7:52 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:02 pm

I just checked in two hours ago. I stayed here 4 months ago and I am very impressed. It feels like a completely new hotel. I keep making comparisons to the HR LAX because they are both former airport Radissons turned into HRs. I think they did a much better job here. I haven't tried breakfast yet or the gym.

There are already some good reviews on Yelp. The renovation isn't 100% done. I am on the top floor (7th) facing the airport. It looks like they will be ready for summertime. Internet seems to work fine. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by gadberry
Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Thanks for the review. Have they started charging for parking yet?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: WOOD PLAT, HYATT GLOB, SOUTH A-LIST+, UNITED SILVER
I just checked in two hours ago. I stayed here 4 months ago and I am very impressed. It feels like a completely new hotel. I keep making comparisons to the HR LAX because they are both former airport Radissons turned into HRs. I think they did a much better job here. I haven't tried breakfast yet or the gym.

There are already some good reviews on Yelp. The renovation isn't 100% done. I am on the top floor (7th) facing the airport. It looks like they will be ready for summertime. Internet seems to work fine. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Nice renovation.

BUT only a good hotel if you enjoy the loud roar of airplane engines flying over your head continuously late into the night...... no thanks

I would rather stay at the Hyatt Regency Newport or Hyatt House.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by CrashDavis
Nice renovation.

BUT only a good hotel if you enjoy the loud roar of airplane engines flying over your head continuously late into the night...... no thanks

I would rather stay at the Hyatt Regency Newport or Hyatt House.
It may be a function of room location, but I've stayed there a number of times without noticing aircraft.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Stayed here three times and haven’t been bothered by noise. Also SNA has a curfew
Old May 1, 2018, 12:58 pm

Free Parking
Old May 1, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Free Parking
Yeah, but how much longer until they start charging $20+ a night?
Old May 17, 2018, 11:09 am

I wrapped up a four-day stay today. I stood at the front desk for ten minutes trying to decide whether to extend for two more days, or move to the Hyatt House, at US$8 savings. Some observations/points of self-debate:

- There are a lot of little wrinkles that haven't been "worked out yet.
--- No online or app check in/out.
--- The key readers in the elevators are not active yet; not really a big deal in this "mellow" area, especially since the elevators are right in from of the front desk.
--- There are no earphones/headphones in the gym...because many of the pieces of equipment don't have the television turned on yet.
--- Coffee makers in the rooms are K-Cup contraptions. If you like that, you're good. If you're me...
--- There are two buildings. One has been renovated, the other is in-process. (Man, it's u-g-l-y!) I didn't hear any construction noise, but I wasn't around during the day.
--- The work in the one building seems to be complete and nice (tasteful, modern, clean, open feeling). Nice photos from gadberry, above.
--- Some of the renovation is still a little "buggy". My room had a beautiful, sliding shower door on ball-bearing rollers. Smooth as glass! Unfortunately, the door wasn't hung level, so gravity rolled it open.
--- There isn't much nearby. Shopping is a Staples. Restaurants: a strip mall with a Jimmy John's, a La Salsa, a Japanese place...a little further, an Indian restaurant, a 7-Eleven, an Ike's Love (closes 7:00PM). During the workday, there are more cafes and sandwich places for the local workers.
--- I couldn't get the business center printer to work. It showed "out of paper" even when it wasn't.
--- Breakfast is a large buffet, maybe a wee bit better than your average U.S. Hyatt Regency (IME) . $25 menu price; hotel covered my $32 w/tip without any hassle. The usual stuff (eggs, bacon, bready-things, scones) with a rotating daily bonus dish (fritatta, chorizo+muffin+egg on English muffin) plus a few little niceties - dried cranberries, dried blueberries, various things to sprinkle on eggs or cereal. The rolled oats looked like grits! Coffee refills did arrive. Staff was fine.
-------------- Side note: strict vegetarians won't find much other than melon, dry cereal and maybe a bread. Oily potatoes. This is where the Hyatt House looked "as good as..." I can't comment on non-veg things, but it all looked well-prepared and well-presented.
--- Parking remains free and plentiful.
--- Front desk staff is a mixed-bag; some polished and professional, some maybe still "working on it".
--- I didn't hear anything from the airport, and I was there many hours during which planes were arriving and departing. It does get noisy outside, so the hotel is doing something right here.
--- I did get my room preference

In the end, I decided to stay a few more nights.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; May 17, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
You had me at free parking
JackE likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:09 am

I am guessing there is no club in the hotel?
I guess that would just give me free breakfast instead
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:24 pm

You are correct. No club. Free breakfast for Globalists.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:01 pm

Just a quick update. The FD says they don't know if there will be an RC or not. This hotel has two towers. There are no suites available ATM because they will all be in the tower that is being renovated. That tower might have an RC.

In other news, I have never had a problem getting 4pm check-out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.