Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Mobile Entry to Skip the Front Desk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2021, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver

I checked some of my future hotel stays and some have under Amenities (on their web page) a "Digital Key" icon. Is this the same as mobile entry?
Anyone used this and does it work well if you have?
Old Mar 25, 2021, 2:55 pm

IIRC you still have to check in at the front desk to enable digital key.
hotelfanatic likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
About 90% of my stays at digital key/mobile entry locations never had to stop at the front desk, all done on the app.

How well the phone works on door locks varies between hotels, some are near instant, others I've had issues and delays.
LASUA1K and TravisMT81 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by olouie
IIRC you still have to check in at the front desk to enable digital key.
You should not have to.

You often do have to.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 9:40 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
It's been consistently inconsistent for me. Sometimes I can bypass, sometimes not. Figured for COVID they would have gotten their crap together on this. Hilton is so much better at this. With the technology we have now there should be no reason to stop at the front desk.
markko, hp12c, Quinlanty and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 9:59 pm

Guess I’m just unlucky lately haha. Not been able to get it to work without going to front desk yet. But can’t wait.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I tried this back in December (don't normally stay at Hyatt) with the DFW Regency. Worked like a champ for checking in and checking out. Never had to go to the desk - I was impressed.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02
I tried this back in December (don't normally stay at Hyatt) with the DFW Regency. Worked like a champ for checking in and checking out. Never had to go to the desk - I was impressed.
This is a game changer. Being a heavy AA flyer I always hated waiting in the long checkin lines when getting off a flight.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:44 pm

What kind of upgrade scenarios are available if any? I always ask at check-in, and thus never have used any of the digital check-in apps, fearing I would miss an upgrade chance.
cmx likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Not sure this in standard, but checking in at HC Philadelphia the other day the app had me verify my identity by providing a picture of my ID and a selfie. It didn't seem to connect back to the app properly (there was no "continue" button at end of the process) and so I just hit back. Told me to go to front desk to get key.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Originally Posted by rogo
You should not have to.

You often do have to.
I notice a lot of disdain here from guests towards the hotel itself as if it is the individual hotels choice when in reality the blame falls on the guest.

If you book the stay within 48hrs of the check-in date you *will* be forced to go to the front desk. No matter what. This is a Hyatt wide anti-fraud policy there is no getting around unless you call the front desk and ask them to check you in.

If you do not have a valid credit card on file or there is a payment issue when trying to check in you *will* be forced to go to the front desk. Again, not the hotels fault.

Now there are cases when it may be considered the individual hotels fault: If they have special documentation requirements for check-in (mainly for overseas properties), if you've queued your check-in and been pre-assigned a room that is not ready for an extended period of time due to housekeeping or maintenance issues (when you queue a mobile check-in it pre-assigns you a vacant dirty room within the category booked (unless there's already a vacant inspected room ready then you'll obviously get that), usually in order of how long its been vacant as the system is guessing which rooms will be cleaned first.)

As a slight aside - if you have special requests or want to be upgraded you're better off either: including notes in your reservation/calling in the morning and waiting to do mobile check-in. When you do mobile check-in first thing in the morning like I said it pre-assigns you a room within your category (Hyatt is starting to introduce other options for alternate rooms in the app when checking in on your phone so this info may soon be useless, YMMV) and puts a "Do not move" tag on your reservation. Ergo, most hotel staff will not bother upgrading or moving your room - especially if you've completed the check-in all the way and disappear from the hotels Arrivals list. If you have a request and the hotel assigns your room then when you do mobile check-in it will keep that same room.
cmx, SNA_Flyer, Pocatello and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by gooseman13
Not sure this in standard, but checking in at HC Philadelphia the other day the app had me verify my identity by providing a picture of my ID and a selfie. It didn't seem to connect back to the app properly (there was no "continue" button at end of the process) and so I just hit back. Told me to go to front desk to get key.
That definitely is not standard
Old Mar 27, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by vadernader
I notice a lot of disdain here from guests towards the hotel itself as if it is the individual hotels choice when in reality the blame falls on the guest.

If you book the stay within 48hrs of the check-in date you *will* be forced to go to the front desk. No matter what. This is a Hyatt wide anti-fraud policy there is no getting around unless you call the front desk and ask them to check you in.
This explains a lot as I generally have been booking within 48 hours. However, if the guest has status, they already know who we are and there is a history, thus I'd expect a little more trust.

Really appreciate what seems to be some good inside insight.

Welcome to FT
Pocatello likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by vadernader

If you do not have a valid credit card on file or there is a payment issue when trying to check in you *will* be forced to go to the front desk. Again, not the hotels fault.
That's all fine and thanks for the explanation. That being said, I am really, really tired of having to produce a credit card I do not carry in my normal wallet when it's already on file.
As a slight aside - if you have special requests or want to be upgraded you're better off either: including notes in your reservation/calling in the morning and waiting to do mobile check-in. When you do mobile check-in first thing in the morning like I said it pre-assigns you a room within your category (Hyatt is starting to introduce other options for alternate rooms in the app when checking in on your phone so this info may soon be useless, YMMV) and puts a "Do not move" tag on your reservation.
This has always been sort of backwards obvious to many of us. It is really nice when you can ask for the upgrade in app and not have to then go to the desk. Even nicer? Properties that pre-assign upgrades!
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 5:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
That definitely is not standard
It actually is now. At some properties, an area in the app will be available during check-in "Verify my Identity".
I've never been able to successfully complete it.
Skipping it mainly, but not always, results in a "Your room is ready, please visit the front desk".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.