Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Koh Samui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Koh Samui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:34 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Had a six night stay last month. Overall quite pleased.

The front office made bizarre changes to my booking and checkin was pretty much a disaster. Also the hotel was pretty much impossible to deal with in getting points credited for the second room on my booking.

Booked two deluxe view rooms one of which was upgraded to the entry level suite. To be honest I'd have preferred the booked view room as opposed to the suite which was more of just an oversized room on a low floor with little privacy and an obstructed view. Very bad sound proofing with the connecting door to the room next to the suite, luckily it was only occupied for one night.

Beach is ok for boarding but far too rocky for swimming etc - it does provide a very scenic outlook though. I found the hotel is quite open about the fact that beach is basically rocks - so knew this going in. Basically didn't leave the resort except to a little strip of shops and a 7/11 about 5/10 minute walk away.

Other than the front office staff are great, lounge is very nice, restaurants are fine. Very quiet during my stay so very easy to find sun lounges etc. Rooms and grounds well maintained. Great value for money - be quite happy to stay there again.

Suite:

Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:28 am

Do you have some pictures from the club lounge please?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Was it RC breakfast or at the restaurant?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:14 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by clublevel15
Do you have some pictures from the club lounge please?

Originally Posted by Aventine
Was it RC breakfast or at the restaurant?
Breakfast was included in my rate. However the lounge currently opens at 11.00 am (from memory) so breakfast is offered in the main restaurant. The lounge welcome letter mentions complementary continental breakfast at the restaurant - but in practice it appeared to be the full buffet on offer.
Singapore_Air and clublevel15 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
On my last visit to the Club Lounge I was the only non-Thai guest and a member of staff muttered something to me about pasta and then came back with a giant bowl of freshly made pasta for me on the assumption that I wouldn't like the (delicious) authentic Thai food available. I was a bit embarrassed sending it back, but I'm not going to fill myself up on pasta in Samui like some kind of North American sales rep on per diem. It's a nice thought, but I hope the staff bear in mind that not all white people are the same
Singapore_Air and Aventine like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It's a nice thought, but I hope the staff bear in mind that not all white people are the same
Perhaps well intentioned, but bringing a guest something they didn't order based on their skin color is mildly offensive regardless of the details.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone else find the rooms to be a bit bland and cookie cutter? The blue carpet is the only touch of color.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:38 pm

Nah, I think the woven sliding doors and the bed headboard are some nice local touch.

This is a review I've seen earlier this year:

Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Aventine
Does anyone else find the rooms to be a bit bland and cookie cutter? The blue carpet is the only touch of color.
I think that's fair. When you're in a room with a view I don't think that you really notice it, but if you get stuck in one of the low floor rooms at the back it feels like you might as well be in a major city.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any advice on suite type that may be more practical for family stay with kids?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I have an upcoming 6 night stay here from their recent promo of about $95/night which was a steal.

Did both of you get upgraded to the "1 Bedroom Regency Suite" or the "1 Bedroom Regency Suite Ocean View"? Any idea what the hotel would charge or upgrade globalists to the villas?

Originally Posted by chad75
Booked two deluxe view rooms one of which was upgraded to the entry level suite. To be honest I'd have preferred the booked view room as opposed to the suite which was more of just an oversized room on a low floor with little privacy and an obstructed view. Very bad sound proofing with the connecting door to the room next to the suite, luckily it was only occupied for one night.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
As per my extensive review with photos, yes I've stayed at the hotel 3 times in the last year.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:06 pm

That "Ocean View" distinction never used to be there. Makes sense, I suppose. I'll have had both then. You definitely want the Ocean View, as the non-views face onto a particularly unattractive setting.

No idea if there are paid upgrade options to the villas. They're priced at 2-3x the cost of base rooms, so I'm guessing it will be a chunky upgrade cost and that's if you can get availability.
Gertjaars likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Funny, the oceanview suite is a premium suite while the regency suite is standard suite. 😬😬😬
Hopefully I can get upgraded to the ocean closer to my check in dates. Theres a lot of wide open availability after august. Hope I dont get pasta for being one of the non-thai guests

Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

View suites are always going to be premium. Regency suite might just have a road or mountain view.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:43 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
I have an upcoming 6 night stay here from their recent promo of about $95/night which was a steal.

Did both of you get upgraded to the "1 Bedroom Regency Suite" or the "1 Bedroom Regency Suite Ocean View"? Any idea what the hotel would charge or upgrade globalists to the villas?
I was upgraded to the standard regency suite in block 1 (the bottom right hand corner of the photo in post 5)- which was classified as a resort view.

View from balcony:

EuropeanPete, diverg and Gertjaars like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.