Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Hollywood REVIEW-MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 18, 2021, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold

1541 Wilcox Avenue
Los Angeles, California, 90028

Now bookable. Category 6! Standard rates of $399.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
My boyfriend lives a few blocks away from there, and I about a mile or two. Good luck everybody! Hollywood is... less ideal than ever. It's less connected to highways and metro, but I'd much rather stay at Andaz Weho. The Thompson could be the most beautiful ever with the nicest people inside but... walk out the front door and prepare to feast on tents and other insanities.
dw, saint, HaleiwaFlyer and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
walk out the front door and prepare to feast on tents and other insanities.
Care to elaborate? Empty streets? Shattered building?

Andaz WeHo is in a great location but the rooms themselves are average IMHO.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 9:17 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by zip10001

I haven't been in the area recently, but seems they are indicating there is a large homeless population in the area now.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium

Hollywood is a tourist place, of course, but also home to lots of crime, people begging for money, homeless, street folks, addicts, et. al. Some are just trying to survive, of course, but others are there to milk the people there to be in "HOLLYWOOD." I am sure the hotel is amazing, but Carolina2Cali is correct about location. I lived 7 years near the area, as well. I'd probably still stay there, but the location would be one that I wouldn't eagerly walk alone at night, for example. Being a Hyatt property, it's probably going to feel like Heaven inside, though.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:19 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Hollywood, DTLA and (sadly) Santa Monica are all places I’m trying to avoid these days. Local residents who live there will likely tell you they’ve had it. I’m someone who lived in NYC for 15 years and started splitting my time between there and LA a few months ago and I’m constantly shocked to see the challenges LA faces in sheltering the homeless, especially compared to NYC.

I guess my point is, if you’re choosing between Hyatt properties, I’d go with the Andaz any day. (There should be a Caption, former Tommie, coming to Hollywood soon as well.)
Old Feb 19, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by downinit
But back to the original topic at hand, Hollywood is definitely a poor place for a Cat 6 hotel, and I would not be surprised to see if fall down to a Cat 5 in the future. With the upcoming DTLA PH, it looks like the hotel scene in LA is definitely attempting to go upscale. Not sure how well it will all work out, but one can always hope for the best.
Sorry yes, I did not mean to spur a generic conversation about the current status of society, but rather, indeed, it feels weird to have a Cat 6 here. It's probably perfect for COVID, if you stay and never leave, WONDERFUL. If you actually want to have an indoor meal or walk to a tourist spot nearby, good luck. I would rather stay in a Generation 1 Hyatt Place in Beverly Hills lol.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:16 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
My boyfriend lives a few blocks away from there, and I about a mile or two. Good luck everybody! Hollywood is... less ideal than ever. It's less connected to highways and metro, but I'd much rather stay at Andaz Weho. The Thompson could be the most beautiful ever with the nicest people inside but... walk out the front door and prepare to feast on tents and other insanities.
Umm, it’s a short-ish walk from Hollywood/Vine metro. I’d call that well-connected by LA metro standards. But I’m an oddball who doesn’t rent a car in LA, and I’m not annoyed by the homeless I do like the Andaz better for proximity to the WeHo nightlife though, and the W is certainly better connected since it’s on top of the station, but this is a Hyatt thread.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Feb 22, 2021 at 11:21 am
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
LA Resident here. If you haven't been here lately, the homeless issue has spiraled out of control. The confluence of this is a multitude of factors, but it's primarily all been caused by poor city/county/state governance. Areas that may have attracted the homeless before like Venice, Hollywood, and Downtown have seen an insane increase in numbers. Additionally, the city decided to stop enforcing any laws related to the homeless and stopped doing encampment cleanups. They now have allowed people to camp anywhere, including city parks, where it was never allowed. It's turned the whole of LA into a giant slum. All of the cities bordering Los Angeles have anti-camping ordinances and prohibit extended parking of vehicles (RV's). That has driven this element all into LA which has none of these restrictions. I'd go deeper here, but it's already off topic and will go further into OMNI/PR territory.

Andaz, while in need of some updates, is still probably the better positioned hotel. That area of Sunset has had less impact of the above, but it will still be visible. Hollywood is back to the shambles it was 20 years ago - probably even worse.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Umm, it’s a short-ish walk from Hollywood/Vine metro. I’d call that well-connected by LA metro standards. But I’m an oddball who doesn’t rent a car in LA, and I’m not annoyed by the homeless I do like the Andaz better for proximity to the WeHo nightlife though, and the W is certainly better connected since it’s on top of the station, but this is a Hyatt thread.
Less relevant in a Hyatt thread, but the W is horribly noisy and the lobby routinely full of prostitutes.

I'm a longtime Marriott elite who is a first-time globalist this year, I've stayed at Andaz WeHo a few times. I wouldn't take a free room at W.
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:28 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Y’all are funny. Staying in Hollywood and expecting a quiet, prostitute-free zone
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Sorry, meant the Andaz being less connected than this new one. You'd have to take the rare 2 bus over to Hollywood to connect anywhere really, or multiple buses. But yea... when were you last in LA? It got bad about 2 years ago but the last 9 months have become unreal for ALL areas, not just the original "funky" places like Skid Row or Venice. They have made tent condos now I kid you not.
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 6:29 am

The FlyerTalk plan for homelessness:

Old Aug 1, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Has anyone recently stayed at this new hotel???
Old Aug 1, 2021, 8:32 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Has anyone recently stayed at this new hotel???
The hotel is opening on August 8th, so the answer to your question is: no, nobody has stayed here yet.

khabah
dpb132 and cfabar1 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.