Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

$700+ spent on room upgrade, no base points

Old Feb 7, 21, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold

The situation is this, I've used 2 free night certificate awards for a stay and 2 nights. I've used the APP for a paid upgrade of my room to a Suite that cost a total of $700. Do keep in mind I'm new to Hyatt so maybe this is obvious to you, but this doesn't really make sense to me. To me any money spent for accommodation should be base-points eligible. But I've checked my account and have gotten zero points. Called (escalated to manager) and was flatly told that any "Free Stays" will earn "no points" and it doesn't matter if you pay more on top of the free stays to upgrade the room, all free night stays = absolutely no points. She told me in the future I should remember that only revenue stays' or points-stays' cash upgrade are eligible for points, but never certificate stays. Ok............

Sorry, but this policy really stinks and highway robbery in my opinion. I've spent $700+ for the room, yes it's based on a Free night certificate stay, but money spent is money spent. What's the difference between spending $700+ on the different bookings?
Old Feb 7, 21, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666 View Post
The situation is this, I've used 2 free night certificate awards for a stay and 2 nights. I've used the APP for a paid upgrade of my room to a Suite that cost a total of $700. Do keep in mind I'm new to Hyatt so maybe this is obvious to you, but this doesn't really make sense to me. To me any money spent for accommodation should be base-points eligible. But I've checked my account and have gotten zero points. Called (escalated to manager) and was flatly told that any "Free Stays" will earn "no points" and it doesn't matter if you pay more on top of the free stays to upgrade the room, all free night stays = absolutely no points. She told me in the future I should remember that only revenue stays' or points-stays' cash upgrade are eligible for points, but never certificate stays. Ok............

Sorry, but this policy really stinks and highway robbery in my opinion. I've spent $700+ for the room, yes it's based on a Free night certificate stay, but money spent is money spent. What's the difference between spending $700+ on the different bookings?
Does your folio show the $700?
Old Feb 7, 21, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Contact WoH, they'll sort it out. This is the most common "missing points" situation for me, so seems like an IT issue.

Also, remember you're owed points for any service fee applied to the upgrade fee.
Old Feb 7, 21, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Contact WoH, they'll sort it out. This is the most common "missing points" situation for me, so seems like an IT issue.

Also, remember you're owed points for any service fee applied to the upgrade fee.
Didn't made it clear in the OP but I did just that, both the agent and "Manager" I've talked to are WoH people, not the property. The WoH "Manager" was the one that told me the policy given in the post.
Old Feb 7, 21, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
Does your folio show the $700?
Yes, both the WoH agent and "manager" saw the folio and it was the Manager that told me this isn't qualifiable points earning spending.
Old Feb 7, 21, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Is there anything in the T&C that applies, one way or the other?
Old Feb 7, 21, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
Is there anything in the T&C that applies, one way or the other?
Not specifically addressed, but should be treated as either an "Eligible Rate" or "Eligible Incidental Charges."
Old Feb 7, 21, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666 View Post
She told me in the future I should remember that only revenue stays' or points-stays' cash upgrade are eligible for points, but never certificate stays. Ok............
I also didn't receive any points on a points stay with cash upgrade. In 2019, it had been years of no activity, and I didn't anticipate staying with any regularity in the future. I converted Chase UR points to stay 2 nights at the PH Sydney and paid cash upgrade upon arrival for Opera House view. No points earned, though I didn't follow up since I didn't even consider I should have earned any (at least not until today). My online portfolio shows no "qualifying spend", but the bill shows it as a "room supplemental charge", so maybe it didn't qualify anyway based on their definitions.
Old Feb 8, 21, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klew97 View Post
I also didn't receive any points on a points stay with cash upgrade. In 2019, it had been years of no activity, and I didn't anticipate staying with any regularity in the future. I converted Chase UR points to stay 2 nights at the PH Sydney and paid cash upgrade upon arrival for Opera House view. No points earned, though I didn't follow up since I didn't even consider I should have earned any (at least not until today). My online portfolio shows no "qualifying spend", but the bill shows it as a "room supplemental charge", so maybe it didn't qualify anyway based on their definitions.
My folio says "accommodations" but the "Manager" at WoH recognized it as a room charge but cites policy (per my OP)

It's interesting that for your case she specifically said "points-reservation" with upgrades IS ELIGIBLE. Guess she's wrong there too.

Anyway, I was thinking of moving my 100+ nights stay from Marriott over to Hyatt as I keep hearing good things about it from afar. Also I'm a revenue spender that I frequently spend to upgrade room and prefer hotel dining first. If Hyatt is nickle/diming their members then, at least for my pattern of spending, Hyatt isn't a good option afterall. I'm sure Hyatt has great properties and unique benefits that are superior to Marriott. But when they wouldn't even give base points for something as basic as room upgrade, that's where I personally would have to draw the line.
Old Feb 8, 21, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
I'd HUCA, never had any problem with my concierge getting room upgrade fees credited. Don't understand why WoH is giving pushback on this, it's no different than any other charge you'd make on an award/cert stay. Sounds just more like bad and lazy CS agents.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 8, 21, 1:47 pm

Frankly I am perplexed by this also. I would never imagine not getting points for that and would fight to the very last breath over it. Really odd they are fighting that.
Old Feb 8, 21, 1:51 pm

removed - double posted

Last edited by beggarbard; Feb 9, 21 at 10:31 am Reason: Double posted
Old Feb 8, 21, 2:01 pm

Data point -
I stayed at PH Maldives in Jan 2020 and at Miraval Austin in Dec 2020 using WoH award stays (not free night certs). For both properties, my additional spend qualified for base points and earned the normal earning rates (base + status based bonus + promos). At PH Maldives, the additional spend was room upgrades, F&B, and resort charges (activities, airport transfers). At Miraval Austin, the additional spend was resort charges and retail and 100% of the spend qualified for base points.

I second the suggestion to HUCA and speak to a different rep
Old Feb 9, 21, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
I'd HUCA, never had any problem with my concierge getting room upgrade fees credited. Don't understand why WoH is giving pushback on this, it's no different than any other charge you'd make on an award/cert stay. Sounds just more like bad and lazy CS agents.
What is HUCA?
Old Feb 9, 21, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Hang Up Call Again

Search this Thread
Search Engine: