Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Updates on Hyatt Brands & Development (including a soon to be announced Alila)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updates on Hyatt Brands & Development (including a soon to be announced Alila)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2021, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SeeTheLights
Maybe the Park Central in San Francisco? Does conversion mean an existing Hyatt property or converting another non-Hyatt into a Hyatt? I don’t know if it means one or another
The Park Central is becoming a Hyatt Regency. And conversion means an existing hotel or resort that is changing flags.
SeeTheLights likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Love it. Great to see Hyatt focusing on full service properties beyond HP/HH.

Also curious about Thompson vs. Andaz...I always thought of the Andaz as the slightly more mature version of a W, but maybe Le Meriden is now the better Andaz parallel and Thompson is the new W? Either way love seeing all this brand development.
Yeah - I've always felt like the W plus an audience a decade older = the Andaz line.
SF1K likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 3:52 pm

I would assume the new aspirational Alila would be in Hawaii, but it sounds like an Alila in Maui is already planned so I don't know if I can see them opening another Alila in Hawaii (though they have two in California). I've also heard rumors of a Miraval in Hawaii.

I am guessing the Trump Hotel in DC is looking to rebrand -- maybe that's it?
Old Jan 26, 2021, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Love it. Great to see Hyatt focusing on full service properties beyond HP/

For Hyatt (and Marriott and Hilton and everyone else) the money is in the franchising fees that come from the volume building out of the lesser brands and I’d bet you HH/HP and the new lower end brand will remain the real focus....

Don’t be mislead. Everyone on here has a point of view (including me) and some are even actively (if indirectly) advertising a service. Prive’ only concerns full service properties....
Hydro88 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Can someone shed light on what type of travelers that Thompson caters to? It's always been of a mystery to me. They're nice properties but not as artsy as Andaz, not as luxurious as Park Hyatt, and not as big and bold as Grand Hyatt's.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Chris2013
Can someone shed light on what type of travelers that Thompson caters to? It's always been of a mystery to me. They're nice properties but not as artsy as Andaz, not as luxurious as Park Hyatt, and not as big and bold as Grand Hyatt's.
I've never stayed at a Thomson, but to me just based on their marketing it comes off as perhaps a more refined/slightly more upscale Kimpton type brand?
joachimm and exploreaswego like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 4:29 pm

I actually think you nailed it...

A half step or so below Park Hyatt... and less expensive.
Not as artsy as Andaz...
Smaller than HR or GH...

For someone that loves Park Hyatt (me me me!) but doesn’t ever pay cash for Park Hyatt (also me me me!) Thompson is an excellent option. They are about as expensive as I’d ever consider paying cash for... and almost (but not quite) Park Hyatt in feel/experience and quality: basically in between a nice HR/GH and a nice PH...
Old Jan 26, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
I actually think you nailed it...

A half step or so below Park Hyatt... and less expensive.
Not as artsy as Andaz...
Smaller than HR or GH...

For someone that loves Park Hyatt (me me me!) but doesn’t ever pay cash for Park Hyatt (also me me me!) Thompson is an excellent option. They are about as expensive as I’d ever consider paying cash for... and almost (but not quite) Park Hyatt in feel/experience and quality: basically in between a nice HR/GH and a nice PH...
That's interesting...makes sense but is there a big segment of travelers for that type of chain? I really tend to enjoy Grand Hyatt/Hyatt Regency properties when traveling with my family as they generally offer a large number of amenities contained inside the property itself such as little convenient stores, Starbucks/coffee shops, restaurants, etc. Very nice to have when traveling with a little one. Park Hyatt I don't mind splurging on when it is just my wife and I as the properties are top-notch. Not sure if I would ever really consider an "in between" unless it offered a very compelling value for the money.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
That's interesting...makes sense but is there a big segment of travelers for that type of chain? I really tend to enjoy Grand Hyatt/Hyatt Regency properties when traveling with my family as they generally offer a large number of amenities contained inside the property itself such as little convenient stores, Starbucks/coffee shops, restaurants, etc. Very nice to have when traveling with a little one. Park Hyatt I don't mind splurging on when it is just my wife and I as the properties are top-notch. Not sure if I would ever really consider an "in between" unless it offered a very compelling value for the money.
Thompson properties tend to be smaller, so they feel more "boutiquey" and service can be a little more personalized. Frankly, I've really enjoyed my stays at several Thompson properties, and I love having them as an option for much the same reasons as @txhyattlvr.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:11 pm

(Note: The following is based on my experience working in the industry. I've never worked for a Hyatt. But, I believe the way they function is similar to industry standards.)

There's a whole side of hotel branding that relates to hotel owners and not guests. Typically, a hotel owner who buys into a franchise will be given geographic exclusivity. Essentially, the hotel group will guarantee they won't sell another franchise of a given brand within a certain area. Typically, the larger the market, the smaller that area will be due to the fact that there will be more potential guests.

Hotel groups work around this restriction by developing multiple brands that are similar. My educated guest is that the overlap in brands that you're describing is due, in part, to need to sell franchises to similar hotels within the same market.

Personally, I end up feeling somewhat confused as a potential guest when this happens. But it seems like all major hotel groups do it. That means there probably are multiple studies by MBAs that have concluded that amorphous branding doesn't hurt the bottom line.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it would be nice to get smth on Big Island.. like rebrand FS Hualalai or at least Mauna Kea
Single_Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Thanks for the info! I never would have known this type of inside info otherwise.

For the Alila rebrand, is this a property distressed by the pandemic or someplace that was going to be reflagged regardless? Wondering how many distresses/shuttered properties get rebranded post-covid and how many stay empty.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alextrips
Thanks for the info! I never would have known this type of inside info otherwise.

For the Alila rebrand, is this a property distressed by the pandemic or someplace that was going to be reflagged regardless? Wondering how many distresses/shuttered properties get rebranded post-covid and how many stay empty.
Id have thought that an expensive rebranding (moving “upward” or, at worst, “sideways”) would be one of the last things a distressed property would want to do!
Old Jan 26, 2021, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
(Note: The following is based on my experience working in the industry. I've never worked for a Hyatt. But, I believe the way they function is similar to industry standards.)

There's a whole side of hotel branding that relates to hotel owners and not guests. Typically, a hotel owner who buys into a franchise will be given geographic exclusivity. Essentially, the hotel group will guarantee they won't sell another franchise of a given brand within a certain area. Typically, the larger the market, the smaller that area will be due to the fact that there will be more potential guests.

Hotel groups work around this restriction by developing multiple brands that are similar. My educated guest is that the overlap in brands that you're describing is due, in part, to need to sell franchises to similar hotels within the same market.

Personally, I end up feeling somewhat confused as a potential guest when this happens. But it seems like all major hotel groups do it. That means there probably are multiple studies by MBAs that have concluded that amorphous branding doesn't hurt the bottom line.

I agree. I hate that you have all these stupid ‘brands’ under Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, etc.

I don’t want a fancy name. Just name it Marriott Downtown Austin or The Hyatt Dallas, etc.

That way, I know what property it is, where it is and have up to date photos so I can check out the joint prior to booking.

Hotel chains have gone nuts in all their ridiculous naming gimmicks.
writerguyfl and Pocatello like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FriscoHeavy
I agree. I hate that you have all these stupid ‘brands’ under Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, etc.

I don’t want a fancy name. Just name it Marriott Downtown Austin or The Hyatt Dallas, etc.

That way, I know what property it is, where it is and have up to date photos so I can check out the joint prior to booking.

Hotel chains have gone nuts in all their ridiculous naming gimmicks.
I would also wish for consistency in names: Why Cityname Hyatt Regency in one place and Hyatt Regency Cityname in another location, not to mention The Cityname Hyatt Regency and The Hyatt Regency Cityname? My preference would be to have Hyatt as the first word in hotel names so that Hyatts can be quickly identified in alphabetical lists such as AAA tour books and city tourism literature. Fort some online sources, it's hard or impossible to search by the hotel family or brand too.
writerguyfl and Pocatello like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.