Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hotel told my wife I can't earn points because I didn't show up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2021, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold

There Hyatt Forum,

I'm new to Hyatt (not to travel, I am Marriott Titanium and Hilton Diamond that stays on average 100-120 nights a year). I am in a situation where I am just curious about Hyatt rules on this. My wife and I were suppose to travel together to a city in China. However, my plane got cancelled and I won't make the stay (we'll meet in another city for another stay). However, when the hotel got informed of this development they told her they will take off my account number and won't give me points since I didn't stay, and if we want something out of it then she would need to apply for a new Hyatt account and earn points that way.

On the one hand I can understand this, no show = no points. So I'm not here to complain about "Hyatt should do better!", so please do not make quick assumptions.

My question is simply on Hyatt culture. I've been in similar situations before with Marriott (I fly at least 200 legs of flights per year, a cancel flight here or there is bound to happen), and Marriott never had an issue crediting the points. Is Hyatt always this strict in enforcing the rules without any considerations? Again, I understand Hyatt wants to protect itself from a member that books all the reservations for people and get all the points, however, this is my wife and obviously a family trip (our child is with her). Just curious about Hyatt culture - is it really strict when it comes to rule enforcement?

I'm new to the chain and thus would like to be informed. Thanks for the reply.

(Ooops: topic should say hotel as in singular not plural) - edit
Old Jan 25, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I am Marriott Titanium and Hilton Diamond that stays on average 100-120 nights a year
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I fly at least 200 legs of flights per year
Congratulations.

As to your question, it depends on the property. Some are lax and some aren't. The program terms are clear, see see section I(a)1.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 8:09 am

This has to do with china. They have many people who play games with the rules, so the hotels over time became very strict with this. In general hyatt does not enforce this. If this happened in US, it will not be an issue at all.
TravisMT81, dw, EdofFX and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 8:32 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tonysmom
This has to do with china. They have many people who play games with the rules, so the hotels over time became very strict with this. In general hyatt does not enforce this. If this happened in US, it will not be an issue at all.
In my experience, Asian properties are generally more strict about following the T&Cs. US properties may be more lax, but as has been said previously, it varies by property. There definitely are US properties where the account holder must be present in order to earn points and night credits.
Cat88L3 and cmx like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:49 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Most of the people are right here. All the hotel chains have about the same policy. Some individual hotels follow the T&C and some care less.

I believe some of the young people in China are newly trained, know the hotel rules better and enforce the policy better.

Again, Hyatt is just like any other hotel chains. It is local culture, not Hyatt culture.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:16 am
Suspended

OP, Im at a loss to understand how and why the hotel in question would have known that you werent gonna arrive at all.By any chance was the res only in your name? alot of times with 2 names on the res and then when asked where the account holder was and being told they will show up in a couple of days, nothing is ever made from it. Although from the above posts could be China is different. On the other hand if the res has only 1 name on it then everything has to come out otherwise no room will be given
TravisMT81 and DC9 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:22 am

In china they will allow his wife to check in, but they will likely tell her she will not receive any elite benefits until her husband shows up. And if her husband does not show up then they will remove the membership number from the the booking.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Virtually all hotels outside the US require you to show your passport upon check-in and most will make a copy of it. It is not hard for them to find out that one of the two guests in the reservation did not show up. I don't think it is a Hyatt issue, but that of staying at a hotel outside your country, assuming OP is not a resident of China.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:48 pm

Even in the U.S. I've seen them enforcing this. The person whose name is on the reservation (receiving points) has to physically show up at the front desk. Period.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She should be able to substitute her Hyatt number on the reservation so that this isn't a total loss.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 4:16 pm
Suspended

In china they will allow his wife to check in, but they will likely tell her she will not receive any elite benefits until her husband shows up. And if her husband does not show up then they will remove the membership number from the the booking.
I actually wish ALL hotels, did this, no elite benefits given until the Elite Member presents themselves at the FD. Ive read way way too many posts on various sites, where folks ask that a Diamond, Globalist etc etc make a res for them so that will get the benefits and dont care about the stay credit or pts earned
Fims, txhyattlvr, 59Impala and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 5:38 pm

This has to do with china.
I do not believe this is a valid comment.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is by no means limited to China.

If one no shows and gets the points that is all to the good. If not, nothing to even raise a concern about. Has nothing to do with culture.
SHLTP likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
not sure I agree that this is limited to China. With Hilton and Marriott if you don’t stay you don’t get credit.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Usually holds true in Vegas at Caesar's Properties with reservations booked under players cards. I realize this is a bit off from OP's situation but is somewhat of a US data point. Better rates when booking both wife and I. Even if she's not going I'll list her card number and try. At check-in about 75% of the time they'll ask to physically see her or they jack my rate up. It all comes down to fine print and if they want to enforce it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.