FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   COVID testing at Hyatt properties (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2032467-covid-testing-hyatt-properties.html)

coleslaw Jan 14, 2021 8:53 am

COVID testing at Hyatt properties

I noticed Andaz Mayakoba has begun offering an "in house" COVID test where, for $190 (+ tax and service charges?) you can get tested with results back via email in 12 hours. This is pretty useful now that the US is requiring a COVID test for (re-)entry.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/me...am/news-events

Are any other properties offering this? It doesn't seem to be very widely publicized as yet.

Beachchaser Jan 14, 2021 9:53 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 32967725)
I noticed Andaz Mayakoba has begun offering an "in house" COVID test where, for $190 (+ tax and service charges?) you can get tested with results back via email in 12 hours. This is pretty useful now that the US is requiring a COVID test for (re-)entry.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/me...am/news-events

Are any other properties offering this? It doesn't seem to be very widely publicized as yet.

hyatt ziva cancun is doing the same, I believe the cost is around $217 but can fluctuate, we canceled our trip mainly due to the reality if we test positive (even if its a false positive) we would have to quarantine in Mexico for up to 2 weeks.

Dsm2m2 Jan 14, 2021 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Beachchaser (Post 32967886)
hyatt ziva cancun is doing the same, I believe the cost is around $217 but can fluctuate, we canceled our trip mainly due to the reality if we test positive (even if its a false positive) we would have to quarantine in Mexico for up to 2 weeks.

^ This. I have Zilara Cap Cana in FEB and I imagine a positive test doesn't result in 2 weeks of quarantine at the resort.

txhyattlvr Jan 14, 2021 9:57 am

Exactly. What a nightmare that would be. This is going to kill the Mexican resorts....

txhyattlvr Jan 14, 2021 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Dsm2m2 (Post 32967899)
^ This. I have Zilara Cap Cana in FEB and I imagine a positive test doesn't result in 2 weeks of quarantine at the resort.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them shut down. Hopefully not permanently.

Ryno1234 Jan 14, 2021 10:00 am

Interesting. Can you just retest until you get a negative? may be a little cost prohibitive, but was just wondering.

Beachchaser Jan 14, 2021 10:03 am

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr (Post 32967900)
Exactly. What a nightmare that would be. This is going to kill the Mexican resorts....

Agreed, I wouldn't be surprised if we ultimately see the resorts eventually shuttered until this is repealed.

Beachchaser Jan 14, 2021 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Ryno1234 (Post 32967910)
Interesting. Can you just retest until you get a negative? may be a little cost prohibitive, but was just wondering.

there is no definitive answer, I absolutely love mexico but when there is potential bad news its hard to get a straight answer.

coleslaw Jan 14, 2021 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Dsm2m2 (Post 32967899)

I'm sure it could result in 2 weeks of quarantine at the resort... if you were willing to pay up :)

Andaz Mayakoba also offers medical evaluation services for groups through AZUMED Laboratory. COVID-19 PCR tests can also performed on all attendees, with results communicated to the meeting organizer and resort prior to event taking place as well as often throughout the event as is requested by the meeting organizer and its attendees.
It's also interesting that they're trying to market this to groups. I would be surprised it any large corporations would be willing to risk a group meeting right now, but perhaps it would be of use to wedding parties and the like (not that I would encourage a wedding party - or any type of party/group gathering - anytime soon).

ocdb8r Jan 14, 2021 1:58 pm

My initial reaction: SOLD!

I totally get that the new US regulations requiring a PCR test are likely to chill travel, but this is exactly the sort of productive response to that situation that I applaud hotels taking. I look at Aruba as an example; their ability to make testing easy, fast and reasonably priced has allowed them to maintain some semblance of tourism. I understand this is a slightly different situation given the testing to return requirement, but people have seemed willing to risk having a positive test on arrival forcing them to quarantine immediately.

At this point, my biggest concern is finding easy, fast and reliable testing if I am going to travel. Given Mexico isn't (yet) requiring testing on arrival, this sort of option for testing to return (in my case to NL) makes it an attractive option.

bcosinteno Jan 14, 2021 2:33 pm

Playa (which means all Ziva and Zilara properties) hasn't made their announcement yet (it's coming later today or tomorrow) but they are following AM Resorts lead and will be providing all guests with free covid testing on property prior to their departure flight.

coleslaw Jan 14, 2021 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by bcosinteno (Post 32968690)
Playa (which means all Ziva and Zilara properties) hasn't made their announcement yet (it's coming later today or tomorrow) but they are following AM Resorts lead and will be providing all guests with free covid testing on property prior to their departure flight.

That’s a great deal if it doesn’t come with a minimum stay requirement.

The going rate for a COVID test in Mexico is ~$150, so it makes it worth booking your final night at a Ziva / Zilara if you can get a test with a 12hr turnaround time AND accommodation AND all inclusive for ~$3-400 a night (or 25k, or 18.75k if you’re eligible for the 25% rebate).

MSPeconomist Jan 14, 2021 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 32968715)
That’s a great deal if it doesn’t come with a minimum stay requirement.

The going rate for a COVID test in Mexico is ~$150, so it makes it worth booking your final night at a Ziva / Zilara if you can get a test with a 12hr turnaround time AND accommodation AND all inclusive for ~$3-400 a night (or 25k, or 18.75k if you’re eligible for the 25% rebate).

If it's positive, are you required to quarantine in place there at your own expense?

dw Jan 14, 2021 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ryno1234 (Post 32967910)

I think the issue is that some people have reported tests continuing to come back positive for several weeks (like up to or more than 1 month), even when they were asymptomatic. I think it would be faster to get a doctor to clear to you to travel as someone who is "recovered" (CDC's wording), though the current order is quite vague on that and it could also potentially be a big hassle when in a different country.

coleslaw Jan 14, 2021 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32968739)
If it's positive, are you required to quarantine in place there at your own expense?

It’s Mexico... so, I doubt it.

You’d obviously need to stay in the locality but I don’t see why you couldn’t rent an AirBnB to quarantine for the two weeks. That’d minimize your need to interact with people or go out in public.