Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt might loose 22 SVC owned properties to Sonesta like Marriott and IHG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt might loose 22 SVC owned properties to Sonesta like Marriott and IHG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2021, 8:47 am

Oops, delete

Last edited by synergistic; Apr 25, 2021 at 7:14 pm
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
I was just joking, sorry to get you "going." I was just commenting on the fact that SVC's decision appears to be under review, given the dramatic increase in the number of properties, and the corresponding dropoff in occupancy. But Sonesta will have to do something with all the new hotels, so they are giving out points, like 1000 to 2500 bonus per night or 2x and 3x with rate codes, plus they do have some (few) decent places: The Clift in SF, and a number of more upscale looking properties (older of course) under their Royal Sonesta brand. 95,000 points for their World MC CC and at 30k for a tier 9 (most of the Royal Sonestas,) or 40,000 for their Kauai Resort -looks like it next to the old Westin Lihue near the airport. Though, in the Hotel Deals forum, there is a thread about Sonesta Maho Beach St. Maarten which people seem to like.

I'd stick to Hyatt, or Marriott, depends on your location and where you stay.
Haha, it's ok - I've been known to miss promos even with the big chains, and I had to check. I'm very, very happy with Hyatt, but when it comes right down to it I'm always looking for the cheapest cost after rebate in an acceptable property for my work stays. Even now that I've earned full Globalist, so my only incremental value for nights is credit towards a TSU, I'm getting enough back that it's a no brainer to stick with them. Doesn't hurt that there's a cat1 HP three minutes from my northernmost client - or that I have a very good standing rate at the HP MCO (one of these Sonesta properties!) near my warehouse. I'll have to start doing the math again when Choice and Wyndham start running decent promos again, but until then it's an easy decision.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by rbAA
I'm sure that SVC/Sonesta learned the downside of reflagging the IHG and Marriott properties, especially the cost vs. benefits (saving some management fees,) and decided that the HP's and other lower level properties could not bear the cost to remove the Hyatt touch. And, Sonesta is experiencing a major decrease in occupancy (from 60%+ to 40%+,) so they weren't getting that "guaranteed" minimum anyway they slice it.
Well, it's not just the "Hyatt touch". Sonesta is, for all intents and purposes, an incidental player and that means that they're not able to drive a lot of corporate spending the way Marriott, Hilton, or IHG would. That doesn't mean they might not capture some smaller customers they could try to get to be "captive", but it means they've got some limits.

I suspect that Hyatt was also more willing to try and work to keep the properties given the limited footprint. It seems like amid the downturn, Marriott (in particular) was just as happy to shed a few dozen properties that were probably underperforming and/or which would reduce over-exposure.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Is this proof that Sonesta was dumb to strip their properties of their IHG/Marriott flags because I’m looking for proof of my intuition that that was a terrible idea.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:00 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Looks like this was avoided and agreement extended to 2031

https://www.hotelmanagement.net/oper...t-place-hotels
Old Apr 10, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I wonder which properties are staying and which are being deflagged. Does anyone have a list?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cfabar1
I wonder which properties are staying and which are being deflagged. Does anyone have a list?
??? the title of this thread is "Hyatt might loose 22 SVC owned properties to Sonesta like Marriott and IHG" so there were 22 props in danger of leaving. Now if you had clicked onto the link in the post right above yours the article dated 6/7/21 says 22 are staying so with the little math I know 22-22=0 leaving
Old Apr 10, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Tucson airport is Sonesta. It hasn't been listed as HP for awhile, or I would have stayed there last month.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfabar1
17 of the 22 stayed with Hyatt. Among the 5 that didn't were the HP Tucson Airport as noted above. Not sure who the others were.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by craz
??? the title of this thread is "Hyatt might loose 22 SVC owned properties to Sonesta like Marriott and IHG" so there were 22 props in danger of leaving. Now if you had clicked onto the link in the post right above yours the article dated 6/7/21 says 22 are staying so with the little math I know 22-22=0 leaving
Yikes…. Please read the article you referenced rather than submit glib remarks. Here is a quote from it:

Under the amended agreement, Hyatt will continue to manage 17 of the hotels for a 10-year term effective as of April 1.
here is another
SVC and Hyatt have transitioned management of the five remaining hotels to Sonesta International Hotels Corp. under the Sonesta Select brand
thank you for the math lesson.
projectmaximus likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.