FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Weirdest thing happened to me on my mattress run (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2031323-weirdest-thing-happened-me-my-mattress-run.html)

ZBigFam Dec 28, 2020 11:38 am

Weirdest thing happened to me on my mattress run

So like many of you I'm in the middle of a mattress run. Booked a local cat one hotel for 10 nights and I'm using it as a satellite office so I'm not in the room all the time.

At check in I was assigned room 406, I had been by the hotel a few days taking the kids swimming etc, and last night I noticed the room on my Hyatt app changed to 412, I thought maybe they had upgraded me to a bigger room or whatever so I didn't pay any attention.

I went to the front desk this morning to get my new key and they gave me my new key and I went up to the room, and there was someone else staying there. There was a family there. the gentleman was very nice and said this is our room there must have been a mix-up and I went downstairs to the front desk.

The front desk agent was flabbergasted and had no idea how another guest was in my room and why my room number had changed. Needless to say they gave me a suite upgrade and now all as well.

I still I'm scratching my head as to what happened though. Do you guys think that they resold my room moved me and then accidentally placed another family in my new room? Weird stuff.

DELee Dec 28, 2020 11:42 am

Sounds like errors at the front desk - typos in closing out rooms, etc. and the system then responding automatically.

At least you got the upgrade!

David

Carolina2Cali Dec 28, 2020 11:52 am

If that happened to me, being the guest in the room another guest walked in on... eventually I'd be mad but I'm not shy, so temporarily hilarious!!

On a more important note, you may need to be vigilante now with the front desk and your nights/points... your first part of the stay may now get credited to 2020 if they in any way checked you out and then back in... time to start making friends with the mistake makers, ASAP.

ZBigFam Dec 28, 2020 11:56 am

True, but I will make sure I have a complete folio that has my entire stay outlined. Good point though.

writerguyfl Dec 28, 2020 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 32919035)
... I thought maybe they had upgraded me to a bigger room or whatever so I didn't pay any attention.

It would be remarkably odd for a hotel to move a checked-in guest without notice. You run into all sorts of liability issues in terms of the potential loss of the guest's personal property.

Did you tell the hotel that you're using the room as an office and therefore wouldn't be keeping luggage/belongings in the room? That would be the only way I see moving a guest without notice as being okay.

As someone who worked at and supervised hotel Front Desk staff, I concur with DELee. This incident was likely the result of human error.

I was fortunate to work in hotels that attracted lots of people who viewed working at the Front Desk as the first stepping stone of a hospitality career. As long as one of those types of employees was working every shift, the number of stupid mistakes dropped significantly because they could advise the rest of the crew.

But lots of hotels only attract hourly workers who view the job as a just a job. Although I've never read any research, common sense tells me that there will be more dumb errors in those types of hotels.

MSPeconomist Dec 28, 2020 2:29 pm

I'm surprised that the OP wasn't more concerned about this. In particular, what happened to his/her belongings (laptop? business papers that may have been confidential?) that were left in the room? Was either party concerned about their security when the OP walked in on the family?

Something also seems to have gone wrong with the OP's keycard continuing to work on the old room's lock. AFAIK when a new key card is issued--and especially when it's done as part of a check in--the previous guest's keycards should be automatically cancelled. The new guest can easily walk in on the previous occupant (unless the previous guest is in the room with the door dead bolted) but the old guest usually discovers the problem when the key card suddenly fails to work.

gooseman13 Dec 28, 2020 3:06 pm

I'm actually confused...OP did you go up to 412 or 406 and find the person in the room? I read this as you were in 406 originally, saw that the app had you in 412 so you went to get a key for that, and then you walked in on 412 but someone was in the room? So they never switched you at all, but somehow there was a switch in the app?

ZBigFam Dec 28, 2020 4:37 pm

Let me add more details, I checked in and was assigned 406 that was Christmas day. I didn't actually go into the room on Christmas day as I had other plans. on the 26th I took the kids swimming at the hotel and the front desk agent recognized me and I asked for an upgrade and a checked and the upgrade was not available. I hadn't gone into my room at any point yet. On the 28th today I headed to the hotel to work and on the app I noticed my room had switched from 406 to 412.

Not a big deal for me since I hadn't gone into the room yet and I hadn't put my stuff in yet. So I went to the front desk to get a new set of keys and the front desk said that wouldn't be a problem they checked my ID and gave me a new set of keys to 412.

As chance would have it I was trying to go into room 412 at the exact moment another gentleman was going into the room to see his family and he said this is our room which is very awkward but I understood his position.

I quickly went downstairs and told the front desk the situation and they were shocked they were like "you should have that room". They had my name associated with that room for some reason

Then again by chance, the same gentleman that was trying to go into the room 412 came down to the front desk saying he needed change for 50 bucks. And that's why I pointed out to the front desk agent that it was that gentleman who was in 412 and not me. This did nothing to alleviate the front desk agents confusion, he asked the gentleman's name, the gentleman said that they were in a different room previously but because the heater was broke they were moved to 412.

Really strange and really weird.

PilotH Dec 28, 2020 5:16 pm

I'll share my story as well in here I guess.

HP, checked in and got my room. First few nights I hopped into my room for an hour and just browsed TV / on my laptop to make sure (if it's even a thing, first MR) they see me swiping my key.
I don't check my room for a few nights as Christmas comes and goes, then when I come back into my room yesterday it's completely cleaned. On the online check-in I asked for no room service, but the front desk may have changed that since I checked in person with them.

What stumps me is that my room key is also gone, and so were my bottles of water (half opened) which weren't replaced either. I'd expect them to at least leave those in my room unless they were expecting to check me out prematurely or knew I was just here for an MR and bail?

rogo Dec 28, 2020 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by PilotH (Post 32919821)
just browsed TV / on my laptop to make sure (if it's even a thing, first MR) they see me swiping my key.

People keep insisting it's a thing. There isn't actually evidence it's a thing however.

DELee Dec 28, 2020 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by PilotH (Post 32919821)
I'll share my story as well in here I guess.

HP, checked in and got my room. First few nights I hopped into my room for an hour and just browsed TV / on my laptop to make sure (if it's even a thing, first MR) they see me swiping my key.
I don't check my room for a few nights as Christmas comes and goes, then when I come back into my room yesterday it's completely cleaned. On the online check-in I asked for no room service, but the front desk may have changed that since I checked in person with them.

What stumps me is that my room key is also gone, and so were my bottles of water (half opened) which weren't replaced either. I'd expect them to at least leave those in my room unless they were expecting to check me out prematurely or knew I was just here for an MR and bail?

Have you since asked for new bottles of H2O and another room key upon your return?

David

PilotH Dec 28, 2020 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 32919933)
Have you since asked for new bottles of H2O and another room key upon your return?

David

Nah, I've got one key of the two still anyways and I don't really need another bottle of water since I'm only there for an hour at a time at most. I'll probably return in a couple days just for a bit, but not before then.

rbAA Dec 28, 2020 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 32919049)
Sounds like errors at the front desk - typos in closing out rooms, etc. and the system then responding automatically.

At least you got the upgrade!

David

Just another form of artificial (human) intelligence: garbage in, garbage out.

JetAway Dec 28, 2020 8:25 pm

Likely just an innocent mistake. Lots of people are using hotel rooms as home offices now and staff are still trying to adjust to the new rhythm of things.

alisamifarooq Dec 29, 2020 12:04 am

It is just an innocent mistake due to the system and staff, you have to take action against respective peoples
Ali Sami Farooq