Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Possible to stay without actually staying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to stay without actually staying?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Was thinking about booking a cat1 hotel for a week since the cheapest rate is $99 +tx, Im probably gonna go the pts route since its 3750 per night after the 25% off for having the CC.

I plan to actually stay there on night 1 and most likely again for night #2, But have noo need for it after that, I think its best to put the DnD sign on and then what call up on the day Im to checkout and ask them to check me out and remove the DnD? If I have to go back to CO then I might as well make it an 8 night stay and stay over for night #8 (which Im thinking of doing anyways but since its in the NE who can know if it will snow and KO those plans so Im only booking a7 night stay for now

Should I even bring up the topic when checking in or ask for the MOD and see if they are game or Not? fwiw its over an hour drive for me but I need to be close to there anyways next Mon, so a no brainer but no need to drive back down in order simply to checkout
Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:54 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Just tell the manager / desk you will be in and out of the room over the balance of your stay. I never "check out" of any chain hotel anywhere. You don't need to either; you just want them to know you're in and out over part of your stay.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by rogo
Just tell the manager / desk you will be in and out of the room over the balance of your stay. I never "check out" of any chain hotel anywhere. You don't need to either; you just want them to know you're in and out over part of your stay.
Good advice. Most hotels now have very limited scheduled housekeeping -such as every fifth day. And you can usually set your own housekeeping schedule. Nobody "wants" to go into your room unless absolutely necessary. As long as you pay and don't cause any problems the hotel has no need to actually see you.
rogo likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rogo
Did just that, today I got an email for Express Checkout and did it. Then low and behold the receipt shows I paid $43+ per night. I guess thats how much a Cat 1 gets paid by Corp/ Yet 35K was deducted from my acct as payment

Im thinking of waiting till tomorrow to see if the charges actually go thru and then call the Hotel to get it reversed, is there any reason to do it ASAP rater then wait. I dont want to deal with the shift that was supposing there when I was suppose to be leaving. Plus Id rather call once I know the night credit has posted

Update: I just checked my CC acct and it shows the hold the hotel put on it when I checked in is now released for the full amount and no other pending charge is posting from the hotel. So everything might be 100% OK and it all got handled as it was suppose to with the exception that it showed me what the hotel received from Corp

Last edited by craz; Jan 10, 2021 at 8:36 am
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:37 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by craz
Did just that, today I got an email for Express Checkout and did it. Then low and behold the receipt shows I paid $43+ per night. I guess thats how much a Cat 1 gets paid by Corp/ Yet 35K was deducted from my acct as payment

Im thinking of waiting till tomorrow to see if the charges actually go thru and then call the Hotel to get it reversed, is there any reason to do it ASAP rater then wait. I dont want to deal with the shift that was supposing there when I was suppose to be leaving. Plus Id rather call once I know the night credit has posted
To avoid wasting your time, wait a few days to see if the charges actually post to your card (and ignore any pre-authorizations or pending charges). It's not uncommon to get the invoice that shows the reimbursement the property gets on a points stay.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skj
To avoid wasting your time, wait a few days to see if the charges actually post to your card (and ignore any pre-authorizations or pending charges). It's not uncommon to get the invoice that shows the reimbursement the property gets on a points stay.
Thx, will do as you suggest.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
What’s the opinion on saying I will be in and out and telling them not to cancel your stay?
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
What’s the opinion on saying I will be in and out and telling them not to cancel your stay?
I can only tell you what I did. I mentioned I will be in and out and believe 100% it didnt register with him. I actually stayed the 1st 2 nights and picked up breakfast (if u can call it that) in the morning. When I left on day 3 it probably looked funny I was heading out with my suitcase and and bag, and simply said see you tonight and wish there was a safe in the room(fwiw the morning person doesnt work nights, so no way was I gonna see him even if I returned.)

I feel the least said the better, as a member, Hyatt will email you an express checkout, it worked just fine. Telling them "not to cancel your stay" I cant help will be calling attention to yourself, especially if its all paid for or a pts stay. On a paid stay once they swipe your CC youre in and when you use Express CO, that CC will be the one charged. I left w/o leaving a DnD on my door. The hotel at no time contacted me to see whats up
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:47 pm

I did expressly tell my 22 night stay property that I would be in and out (though I was actually in and out) because I'd been hoping to work out something where I only paid parking on nights I was actually there. Instead they waived parking (yay!) and just called weekly to schedule housekeeping.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
I checked in for a 15 day stay and requested no room servicing but said they were welcome to enter the room if they wanted to check on it. I also said I only needed the room nights and to not check me out early.

I did go back a week later to pay towards my stay to get an expiring Chase 10% back bonus. All went well. My grey hair might help.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Update

as of now the pending charges were removed on my CC, and nothing else posted. I got a survey to fill out(and for the 1st time did so). The stay posted to Hyatt except for the bonus nights which I understand is done every 2 weeks or so.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:24 am

What about the opposite situation? You fully intend to stay but your plane is canceled, your car breaks down or your train is really late. You get charged for the night anyway per their policy. Or you just can't make the trip because something comes up but it's past the cancellation date. You get charged but don't get the points, right? Wouldn't that be "fraud" on their part since you paid for the room and fully intended to occupy it but their one-sided rules denies you the benefit for which you paid when you made the reservation in good faith.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: AA,BA,CO,AMEX,SPG
Book the room, check-in online. Then, how do you check out from the hotel as you are not present? Just curious.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by cscasi
Book the room, check-in online. Then, how do you check out from the hotel as you are not present? Just curious.
I've never actually checked in online, but I check out online easily. They had that portion sorted years ago.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:01 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
What Skywalker said. I have never seen a promotion where this will work, if someone isn’t there the hotel won’t show you as checked into. You can call the front desk on the arrival day, but if they say no you could be a no show.

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
It's unlikely to work that way, especially for several nights. You should find a hotel where you can check in personally or at least ask someone who is listed as second guest to check in for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.