Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Will Not Honor Rsvs in CA properties from out of state travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Will Not Honor Rsvs in CA properties from out of state travelers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2020, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I have an end-of-month stay (as CA resident) at a Hyatt in San Diego . . . so far no communications or issues with the reservation. Nor any issues going through the booking process for various SF properties.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Kacee
I have an end-of-month stay (as CA resident) at a Hyatt in San Diego . . . so far no communications or issues with the reservation. Nor any issues going through the booking process for various SF properties.
See information posted above- restrictions don't apply to CA residents staying in CA properties.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
See information posted above- restrictions don't apply to CA residents staying in CA properties.
I thought some areas of California had mileage restrictions (IIRC 150 mile radius in the Bay Area) for nonessential travel.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 11:48 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
That’s not the case for regions under the state stay at home order:

“For a SPECIFIC region under the Regional Stay-At-Home Order:
Non-essential travelers are not allowed.”
Old Dec 11, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm well aware of what the restrictions are. There are two levels - the State of California's and the restriction referenced in the email from Hyatt corporate.

Hyatt's stated policy is less strict than the State of California's, since California does purport to prohibit hotel stays for CA residents unless the stay falls within one of three specified exceptions. As a CA resident I am most interested in whether hotels are doing anything to enforce the State's restrictions.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, is AirBnB considered lodging? Logic would say yes, but they might argue that it's more like renting a furnished apartment or even house guesting with someone you know (like couch surfing).
I have heard of Airbnb canceling reservations in CA as a result of the new orders. But I'm not sure if that's corporate or the individual host; Airbnb is taking reservations in currently prohibited areas right now.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In theory all hotels and airbnb in severe zones (below 15% icu - including socal etc) should be closed to all nonessential instate or outofstate ppl.
Link
its a confusing and unproductive mess basically

Last edited by azepine00; Dec 11, 2020 at 6:08 pm
Old Dec 12, 2020, 1:25 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Maybe...if it actually was a law. It's just an executive order put out by Newsom.
It is still a law. Not all laws are statutes. Laws can come from the executive branch (administrative law) or the judicial branch (case law). Regardless of where it comes from, it has the same force of law.

As for this particular situation, while enforcement will obviously be difficult, hotels need to at least make it look like they are enforcing it, so that they aren't held liable in case an outbreak is traced to them.
JIMCHI likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm well aware of what the restrictions are. There are two levels - the State of California's and the restriction referenced in the email from Hyatt corporate.

Hyatt's stated policy is less strict than the State of California's, since California does purport to prohibit hotel stays for CA residents unless the stay falls within one of three specified exceptions. As a CA resident I am most interested in whether hotels are doing anything to enforce the State's restrictions.
How they want to prove that you're a CA resident? If they ask for ID just show them your passport.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
How they want to prove that you're a CA resident? If they ask for ID just show them your passport.
To prove residency in a state you show a passport ? I would think a CA DL/ID seems more logical.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Originally Posted by myperks
To prove residency in a state you show a passport ? I would think a CA DL/ID seems more logical.
I think OP was getting at the fact that hotels generally don't ask for specific types of ID upon check in, i.e., a non-Californian could claim to be from California at check-in and show their passport as ID for check-in purposes, and the hotel would be none the wiser. Of course, California properties could start to be more specific on ID requirements upon checking in under this order, but until concrete data points prove otherwise, I'm assuming they are not doing so. And even so, you have to handle folks who live in California part time or those like me who have moved to California but not updated their licenses for one reason or another.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:07 pm

I would imagine the properties are determining residency based on the address in your Hyatt profile.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
I think OP was getting at the fact that hotels generally don't ask for specific types of ID upon check in, i.e., a non-Californian could claim to be from California at check-in and show their passport as ID for check-in purposes, and the hotel would be none the wiser. Of course, California properties could start to be more specific on ID requirements upon checking in under this order, but until concrete data points prove otherwise, I'm assuming they are not doing so. And even so, you have to handle folks who live in California part time or those like me who have moved to California but not updated their licenses for one reason or another.
but the “op” sure has an interesting (nonsensical) way of expressing things.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I thought some areas of California had mileage restrictions (IIRC 150 mile radius in the Bay Area) for nonessential travel.
That's unique to Santa Clara County.
Hotels and Other Lodging Facilities:

Hotels and other lodging facilities will be open only for essential travel and for use to facilitate isolation or quarantine.

Quarantine Post-Travel:

Leisure and non-essential travel are strongly discouraged, and a new Mandatory Directive on Travel will require people to quarantine for 14 days upon return to the County from travel of more than 150 miles. Healthcare workers traveling into the county to provide care or patients traveling into the county to obtain treatment will be exempted from this requirement.
https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19...11-28-2020.pdf
Old Dec 15, 2020, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i hope noone is gonna be turned away by this - so far we havent heard any stories.
Those who want to come (eg to ski, to get away from cold or to visit relatives) will come anyways and unfortunately what an order like this does is driving those stays from relatively safe and isolated hotel rooms to friends and family and various shared accommodations - exactly the stuff we intend to prevent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.