Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Mattress Run for Hyatt Globalist in 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mattress Run for Hyatt Globalist in 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Given that we might have a surge upon a surge after Thanksgiving, what happens if the hotel temporarily closes during a MR? Santa Clara County closed hotels to leisure travelers today, open only for essential travel and those needing to quarantine.
Id guess they’d let existing “residents” complete their stays (and maybe even extend their stays), but not allow leisure travelers to check in for new stays (assuming the leisure travelers are being honest about the purpose of their stays...).
Old Nov 29, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
With the lucrative promos, low rates, and 2021 business travel up in the air for a while, I’m booking a few mattress runs to get me to 40 nights in 2020 and 13 rollover. At $54/night and the 3x points, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get nights much cheaper.
River in Sight and tobikosan like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Duke777
With the lucrative promos, low rates, and 2021 business travel up in the air for a while, I’m booking a few mattress runs to get me to 40 nights in 2020 and 13 rollover. At $54/night and the 3x points, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get nights much cheaper.
Yes, the current promos are extremely lucrative. Maybe not as good as the promos from 2009. However, I won't be doing a mattress run. I'm going to actually stay there. I hate paying for something that I'm not using.
econ likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Any stays at any MGM properties longer than 14 days will receive 0 Elite Night Credits. So I definitely would recommend against attempting that.

Just depends where you look, you’d have to factor in travel costs too. What area are you hoping for? Northern US, Western, Eastern, Southern.
THANK YOU MATT AND PORTLY!!! Matt, do you have any links or insight into this Vegas longer than 14 days rules provision? And if I stayed at Mandalay Bay over this past summer, could I request Hyatt nights credit for it?

Research completed, I can't find availability for this Macae Brazil place... but looks fantastic! Indeed there's a few cheap Mexico options, you can actually just search an entire country or state on Hyatt (or Google's Hotel page) and as long as there are less than 200 Hyatts, they will show you all options, and you can sort by price. Now I just have to pick one, and convince my boyfriend to stay there and open and close the room a few times a week while I go home for Christmas... or pay more than the cheapest and actually have an interesting vacation. Fairbanks and the northern lights seems tempting... loved Alaska in the Summer...
Old Nov 30, 2020, 5:26 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
THANK YOU MATT AND PORTLY!!! Matt, do you have any links or insight into this Vegas longer than 14 days rules provision? And if I stayed at Mandalay Bay over this past summer, could I request Hyatt nights credit for it?
I posted about this rule here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31621392-post785.html
Old Nov 30, 2020, 11:07 am

I may still do a 6 night end of the year MR even with the reduced Globalist requirements because the hotel that I want to stay at is showing me cheaper rates in Dec-Jan than in Jan-Feb.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Nov 30, 2020 at 11:27 am
Old Nov 30, 2020, 6:31 pm

Does this promo stack with the promo from today that all requirements are cut to 50%
Old Dec 1, 2020, 1:36 pm

Just booked my (reduced) Dec. mattress run for Globalist! Will use credit card free nights and spend to get milestone bonuses since I will have all of 2021 to do so.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
However, I won't be doing a mattress run. I'm going to actually stay there.
I thought that's what "a mattress run" was? Staying in a hotel for no other reason that to earn nights/points?

Not actually staying would be "a phantom stay", and thus ineligible for anything.
59Impala likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Given that we might have a surge upon a surge after Thanksgiving, what happens if the hotel temporarily closes during a MR?
What happens is the hotel cancels the remainder of your reservations, and you have to find another hotel. That happened to a friend of mine staying at the Hyatt Place Tokyo Bay, which closed up shop in March on a day's notice. He made a reservation at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo for the rest of his stay.
lsquare and iluvdoco like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I thought that's what "a mattress run" was? Staying in a hotel for no other reason that to earn nights/points?

Not actually staying would be "a phantom stay", and thus ineligible for anything.

Based on many posts, threads and different forums/blogs the vast majority consider a Mattress Run to not actually include staying in the hotel. Could be due to it being a low quality Hyatt Place in most cases, or just easier for them.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not how I understand it.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
That's not how I understand it.
Then why would it be called "a mattress run", if not because the only purpose of the stay is to use the mattress (i.e. sleep there)?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Then why would it be called "a mattress run", if not because the only purpose of the stay is to use the mattress (i.e. sleep there)?
“Mattress run” and “mileage run”. For both you’re going through the motions to get the benefit (points and elite qualification). If it just so happens that you actually want to travel to the place you book in either case, great. But that’s secondary to the main purpose of accruing benefits.

I’m sure most people would love to be able to take the first segment of a mileage run and go straight back home without having to complete the rest of the itinerary while getting all the benefits.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Matt4200 kind of explained it best. How is this any different from a mileage run where I still have to complete the flight to get the benefit?
Matt4200 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.