Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Mattress Run for Hyatt Globalist in 2022

Mattress Run for Hyatt Globalist in 2022

Old Feb 7, 21, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
I ended up booking a week in Hawaii Wailea Ekolu Village for 7 nights, Feb 21-28 using points. Was able to use DL points to get there and just paying for the Hawaiian flight home. Will be working from there and kids going to school but everything should wrap up relatively early in the day and we can go enjoy the beach. I might book a night in the Bellevue this week just to be safe and use the pool
Old Feb 8, 21, 3:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eternalX View Post
I actually booked it with points but I would consider redoing with cash. Thanks for the info!
Without a TSU how did you get a suite when booking with points? Or did you just pay the full 40K points/night for a suite?

If you paid the 40K points, then it is 100% worthwhile to mattress run for the TSU.

For example, 4/26 - 5/3, you've got three main options for a suite:
1) Pay for it outright with points. 7 * 40K = 280K Hyatt points.
2) Pay for the base room with points, use a TSU. 7 * 25K = 175K Hyatt points.
3) Pay for the base room with cash, use a TSU. $3,243 (including all taxes/fees). With that spend, you'd also earn 30K points (4x with World of Hyatt, + 6.5x for Globalist).

Difference between #1 and #2: 105K Hyatt points (a minimum of $1500 value). So in other words you would should be willing to pay up to $1500 on mattress running to get the TSU and upgrade for free from the base room to a suite for a week.

In this case, 175K points or $3243 + 30K points is a point value of about 1.6 cpp, which is pretty good. Not amazing, but personally I'd probably just use points since I can earn Hyatt/Chase relatively easily. Now, if Hyatt has 25% off award points at that time, then I'd 100% go with the points. If they have a 3x or 4x points like now I would 100% go with paid (if it was 4x points as a resort, then in total you'd earn 86K points for your $3243 spend).
As it is, it's a toss up based on how you value Chase/Hyatt points.

But it's also pretty clear (to me at least) that if you can figure out how to get a TSU you'll save a ton of points and make mattress running worth it.
Old Feb 9, 21, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
Without a TSU how did you get a suite when booking with points? Or did you just pay the full 40K points/night for a suite?

If you paid the 40K points, then it is 100% worthwhile to mattress run for the TSU.

For example, 4/26 - 5/3, you've got three main options for a suite:
1) Pay for it outright with points. 7 * 40K = 280K Hyatt points.
2) Pay for the base room with points, use a TSU. 7 * 25K = 175K Hyatt points.
3) Pay for the base room with cash, use a TSU. $3,243 (including all taxes/fees). With that spend, you'd also earn 30K points (4x with World of Hyatt, + 6.5x for Globalist).

Difference between #1 and #2: 105K Hyatt points (a minimum of $1500 value). So in other words you would should be willing to pay up to $1500 on mattress running to get the TSU and upgrade for free from the base room to a suite for a week.

In this case, 175K points or $3243 + 30K points is a point value of about 1.6 cpp, which is pretty good. Not amazing, but personally I'd probably just use points since I can earn Hyatt/Chase relatively easily. Now, if Hyatt has 25% off award points at that time, then I'd 100% go with the points. If they have a 3x or 4x points like now I would 100% go with paid (if it was 4x points as a resort, then in total you'd earn 86K points for your $3243 spend).
As it is, it's a toss up based on how you value Chase/Hyatt points.

But it's also pretty clear (to me at least) that if you can figure out how to get a TSU you'll save a ton of points and make mattress running worth it.
It has been so long since I booked I had to go check. I transferred all of those points (280k) from chase. I think you just helped me save 100k points. Thats exactly why I posted on here and really appreciate you taking the time to respond with such detail. Thank you!
jmugrappler likes this.
Old Feb 9, 21, 1:08 am

I just checked the award chart again. I won’t earn a tsu until I get to 50 nights. I won’t be anywhere close to that come april. I might get there before the end of the year. Oh well
Old Feb 9, 21, 8:23 am

I just checked the award chart again. I wont earn a tsu until I get to 50 nights. I wont be anywhere close to that come april. I might get there before the end of the year. Oh well
Have a cat1 hotel accessible to you? 5000pts a night, with a 25% rebate... An extra ten nights (credit for twenty if you did this like...now) would only cost you 37,500 points. Even a cat3 would be a savings! Virtually zero chance the bonus nights would post before your extra Feb Hawaii trip, though.
Old Feb 9, 21, 8:45 am

I just checked the award chart again. I wont earn a tsu until I get to 50 nights. I wont be anywhere close to that come april. I might get there before the end of the year. Oh well
Or if you're anywhere close to a reasonably priced Hyatt, it's likely be worth it to just pay for a hotel room for 10 nights. There's another thread tracking cheap Hyatts around the US, but even at $100/night, you're essentially paying $1000 for 150K Chase/Hyatt points. I would 100% buy 150K chase points for $1000.

At prices like that, you could even be creative. It's worth flying (if you're comfortable) to a cheap location for check-in and then heading home.

Hotel Lincoln in Chicago is a Joie de Vivre hotel (so a bonus since those are hard to find for brand explorer). Saturday 2/13 - Wed 2/24 is a 10 night stay for about $860.
Hell, HP Times Square is only $1000 for the 10 days.
HR Orange County is $1084
synergistic likes this.
Old Feb 9, 21, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
Or if you're anywhere close to a reasonably priced Hyatt, it's likely be worth it to just pay for a hotel room for 10 nights. There's another thread tracking cheap Hyatts around the US, but even at $100/night, you're essentially paying $1000 for 150K Chase/Hyatt points. I would 100% buy 150K chase points for $1000.

At prices like that, you could even be creative. It's worth flying (if you're comfortable) to a cheap location for check-in and then heading home.

Hotel Lincoln in Chicago is a Joie de Vivre hotel (so a bonus since those are hard to find for brand explorer). Saturday 2/13 - Wed 2/24 is a 10 night stay for about $860.
Hell, HP Times Square is only $1000 for the 10 days.
HR Orange County is $1084
How does one earn 150,000 Chase points for spending approximately $1000?
Old Feb 9, 21, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER View Post
How does one earn 150,000 Chase points for spending approximately $1000?
If you read up thread youll see the math. Its more a savings for this specific situation rather than earning. But good advice to the OP either way.
Old Feb 9, 21, 3:51 pm

I'm in Seattle so my options are limited. There is a downtown Seattle hotel for $80/night I could check into tonight. It would be $936 total for the 10 nights. But how does the math get to 150k points? I would definitely save 105k using the tsu. Where does the other 45k come from? As you can see I'm completely new to this type of mileage run

Last edited by eternalX; Feb 9, 21 at 4:23 pm
Old Feb 9, 21, 3:54 pm

Can I be checked into two Hyatt hotels simultaneously? My Hawaii stay is in 12 days
yes you can.
but if your question is if youll get credit for both stays, probably not.
Old Feb 9, 21, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by myperks View Post
yes you can.
but if your question is if youll get credit for both stays, probably not.
What about legit cases involving crossing the international date line? It's entirely possible to spent the same night at Hyatt Regency Tokyo and Hyatt Regency Guam (well, pre-corona it was possible).
Old Feb 9, 21, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
What about legit cases involving crossing the international date line? It's entirely possible to spent the same night at Hyatt Regency Tokyo and Hyatt Regency Guam (well, pre-corona it was possible).
You'd get the stay credit, although it may not post automatically (/most likely wouldn't).
Old Feb 10, 21, 11:21 am

I went ahead and booked a stay in Seattle. I'll probably use the room for a few days to work in. Now to make sure this all clears before my April trip!
synergistic likes this.
Old Feb 10, 21, 1:22 pm

I'm in Seattle so my options are limited. There is a downtown Seattle hotel for $80/night I could check into tonight. It would be $936 total for the 10 nights. But how does the math get to 150k points? I would definitely save 105k using the tsu. Where does the other 45k come from? As you can see I'm completely new to this type of mileage run
You're completely right, it's 105K points not 150K, I typo'd. (280K - 175K = 105K points saved). It's still absolutely worth it for the $936 in my opinion.
Boraxo and synergistic like this.
Old Feb 11, 21, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Math is similar in Northern California where rates are always high.
However there are locations that offer Day Rates of $75 + tax so about $80/day.
  • So roughly $800 for 10 EQN x2 = 20 EQN.
  • But again this is for Diamond aka Globalist Light, no? Because you won't get TSU with only 20 nights.
  • Is Globalist Light for 2 years worth $800?
  • To be fair I would earn 800 x 15 points (3x promo + Explorist + Hyatt card) = 12k Hyatt points which I value at $240.
  • So maybe the real question is Globalist for 2 years worth $560??
Seems like a good investment just for the waived parking and resort fees, much less the free breakfasts. Esp. as I just paid $160 in resort fees for 2 rooms + $40 parking for a weekend stay.

Last edited by Boraxo; Feb 11, 21 at 10:53 pm

Search this Thread