FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Devaluation of Breakfast Benefit at Hyatt Place (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2028144-devaluation-breakfast-benefit-hyatt-place.html)

Explore SE Asia Nov 6, 2020 4:22 pm

Devaluation of Breakfast Benefit at Hyatt Place

Here is some info on the change.

https://onemileatatime.com/hyatt-place-breakfast/

I understand there are 20 Hyatt Place hotels in the pilot program. Does anyone know where a list is posted?

TravisMT81 Nov 6, 2020 5:32 pm

I was at Hyatt Place near IAD recently, and they had breakfast sandwiches for sale in their glass case (like Starbucks). But then in Dallas they had the Jimmy Dean sandwich complimentary.

Matt4200 Nov 6, 2020 7:14 pm

“World of Hyatt Globalist Members will receive one free hot paid at these properties”.

I can’t help but wonder if they mean one free hot meal/item per registered guest stayed in a Globalist Room (up to 2 Adults and 2 Children).

Explore SE Asia Nov 6, 2020 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 32801591)
“World of Hyatt Globalist Members will receive one free hot paid at these properties”.

I can’t help but wonder if they mean one free hot meal/item per registered guest stayed in a Globalist Room (up to 2 Adults and 2 Children).

The points guy reflects your understanding.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/hyatt-...kfast-changes/

"World of Hyatt Globalist members will continue to receive free breakfast at all Hyatt Place locations worldwide, including at these pilot hotels. This top-tier elite perk is limited to two adults and two children occupying the same room as the Globalist member. (A Globalist staying at a pilot hotel is entitled to one paid item per registered guest.)"

Matt4200 Nov 6, 2020 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia (Post 32801610)
The points guy reflects your understanding.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/hyatt-...kfast-changes/

"World of Hyatt Globalist members will continue to receive free breakfast at all Hyatt Place locations worldwide, including at these pilot hotels. This top-tier elite perk is limited to two adults and two children occupying the same room as the Globalist member. (A Globalist staying at a pilot hotel is entitled to one paid item per registered guest.)"

Definitely good to know. It’s rough as I’ve stayed at HH, HP, Doubletree and Embasssy Suites during the pandemic and Hyatt House was by far the worst breakfast.

Hyatt House literally handed us some 99 cent store freezer section sausages and off brand pancakes frozen solid and told us to cook them ourselves along with an apple. That’s just a terrible offering in general, even a Holiday Inn wouldn’t do that.

I was hoping they’d consider changes to HH Breakfast as well.

itcheroni Nov 6, 2020 8:13 pm

Currently here at a HP in Mexico and the breakfast is very good, even though the choices are very limited. They offer a few cold cereals, fruit, pastries, and yogurt, which are all pre-wrapped. For hot choices, there are 4 hot items you can order, all of which taste like regular restaurant quality. I like being limited to a handful of good quality choices because I tend to overeat when there are a million stations of delicious looking items. But if I'm staying at a higher end brand, I do want to indulge myself on a decadent buffet breakfast. Hotels should know better than to take away too many perks.

Daftryan Nov 6, 2020 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by itcheroni (Post 32801740)
Currently here at a HP in Mexico and the breakfast is very good, even though the choices are very limited. They offer a few cold cereals, fruit, pastries, and yogurt, which are all pre-wrapped. For hot choices, there are 4 hot items you can order, all of which taste like regular restaurant quality. I like being limited to a handful of good quality choices because I tend to overeat when there are a million stations of delicious looking items. But if I'm staying at a higher end brand, I do want to indulge myself on a decadent buffet breakfast. Hotels should know better than to take away too many perks.

Cool. Where in Mexico?

MSPeconomist Nov 7, 2020 8:04 am

Many HPs in the USA have been posting that breakfast would start to be free only for WOH members and I've been wondering how they could ever enforce this, given the open lobby areas including the breakfast buffet and seating areas combined with limited staffing. How profitable is it to pay someone (even at minimum wage) to guard the buffet for several hours every morning and check credentials?

Explore SE Asia Nov 7, 2020 8:23 am

My Current Breakfast Choices at HP
Frosted flakes, instant oatmeal packets, packaged blueberry muffins, apples, oranges, vanilla yogurt, milk, apple juice, orange juice

PS I wish I was in Mexico.

itcheroni Nov 7, 2020 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Daftryan (Post 32801800)
Cool. Where in Mexico?

Aguascalientes. I tried the Centric in Leon as well but I much prefer this HP for a comfortable mattress run. The staff does a good job here.

storewanderer Nov 7, 2020 10:42 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32802530)
Many HPs in the USA have been posting that breakfast would start to be free only for WOH members and I've been wondering how they could ever enforce this, given the open lobby areas including the breakfast buffet and seating areas combined with limited staffing. How profitable is it to pay someone (even at minimum wage) to guard the buffet for several hours every morning and check credentials?

One location I stayed at, they sort of barricaded the area so you had to walk directly past the front desk to get over to the breakfast area and they "checked you" there. Another location with the layout where the front desk is across the "walkway" from the breakfast area was the best, they had a guy standing at the opening to the breakfast area who was the Maintenance Manager on a handheld checking your name/checking you in. I didn't see how they handled it if someone came up who was not entitled to the breakfast (Priceline guest or something) but I assume they would be sent over to the front desk to pay or it would just get added to their tab via the handheld.

storewanderer Nov 7, 2020 10:49 am

Looking at this change it is obviously a transition away from free breakfast. I anticipate there will be little interest in the Continental Breakfast offering that is given (I mean, many of these breakfast bags are so bad they aren't even worth taking) and ultimately that will be quietly dropped. Maybe they will throw a bowl of bananas and a few shrink wrapped defrosted muffins or danish next to the free coffee to at least say they offer "something" free.

One thing you can say for this is at least in the US it appears they will be doing a consistent offering from location to location after they get past the pilot period. A lot of other chains are really struggling with consistency on the breakfast program right now.

MSPeconomist Nov 7, 2020 2:04 pm

When HGP first started, USA HRs had coffee self serve urns and big baskets of muffins near the elevators on HGP floors. If was a small free continental breakfast and a nice perk for HGP members.

Daftryan Nov 8, 2020 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by itcheroni (Post 32802754)
Aguascalientes. I tried the Centric in Leon as well but I much prefer this HP for a comfortable mattress run. The staff does a good job here.

What's going on in Augascalientes? Is it a nice city to visit?

I was interested in HC Leon, but everyone says the location sucks for tourists...

MSPeconomist Nov 9, 2020 7:48 am

I just stayed at a USA HP that had a system where people were asked to order grab and go breakfast in advance, although I didn't have the impression that they were prepared in advance. There was one hot and one cold choice each morning, on a rotating schedule for variety. Each breakfast bag included a large glass of orange juice, yogurt, cut fruit (melon, etc.), and a big green apple. Surprisingly (and funnily), coffee and tea were freely available in the lobby during breakfast hours, self serve. The market had pastries, cakes, and bottled/canned beverages, with no salads or sandwiches, but one could presumably order drinks or barista coffees.

I thought this was better than the pre-improvement HP breakfasts, but not as good as the local bacon, monkey bread, waffles, berries, etc. on that I saw on the buffet more recently preCOVID-19.