Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hotel De Anza - San Jose, CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:51 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Hotel deAnza: San Jose CA A Destination Hotel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hotel De Anza

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hotel De Anza

Hotel De Anza: A Destination Hotel San Jose, CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (0 Photo)

Hotel De Anza

It appears that the De Anza is very new to the Hyatt family as the name doesn't even show up in the search box above. I stumbled across this fortuitously a couple of days in advance of a Saturday night stay in downtown San Jose for a race Sunday morning. Good thing as we were booked at the Hyatt Place and the reviews for that location are, shall we say, less than stellar.

It was a brief stay with limited time in the room, so this review will be short. Certainly details will be missing.

The hotel is well-situated to downtown and the Convention Center, SAP Center, Center for Performaing Arts and various other theatres. And very close to the race start!

Complementary morning coffee and tea, starting at 7. Coffee was a few minutes late and tea closer to 10-12 late. That was disappointing, especially as they knew that many were off to the race start, so this would have been a day to be on-time or even a few minutes early.

Check In

We had booked a 2-double-bed room using an Award (this was all that was available) with a request for a King. We showed up around 2:45PM, so in advance of the 4PM check-in. After looking, the gentleman found us a King Room that we could love into right away.

For check-out, we requested a late accommodation. The\is gentleman had a list to which we were added. He was asking about time and I asked for 1:30PM, and then mentioned that we were Explorist. He had not inquired or looked at the room in advance. Once I said this, he wrote the 1:30 followed by Explorist. So that worked.

Room

The room was on the second floor with a view of a side street. I would have preferred both a higher floow and a Santa Clara street view, but had only asked for an "interesting" view, so that one's on me. Also, with an early check-in and a room-type change, I take what I can get :)

The room was on the small side, but manageable for a single night. End tables had no drawes and were in a compatible art deco style. Lamps had plugs and USB, so power was not an issue. Minimal drawers throughout (some in the closet) but, again, short stay.

Nespresso style coffee maker, but only PWD for creamer. No tea service at all (mrs. brp is a tea person).

Nicely-sized bathroom with a very nice shower.

Cheers.

Hotel De Anza: A Destination Hotel San Jose, CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel De Anza?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:06 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Separately from the review I'll add that the bar area looked interesting, but we went to the San Pedro Square Market for a wandering dinner the night before the race, so didn't get a chance to check it out. They do have a weekday Happy Hour, but the menu looked somewhat mediocre.

Cheers.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 10:28 pm

Looking for feedback & reviews on the Hotel De Anza in San Jose, CA from people that have visited.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...-de-anza/sjcdh

Not impressed that the property charges a $15 "destination fee".

As it is a Destination branded hotel, it would qualify for the Chase Visa $75 back on $250 purchase.

Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2020, 12:11 am

Location: Atlanta, Georgia / New Orleans, Louisiana - Southeastern U.S.
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond Medallion, World of Hyatt Globalist, Southwest CP & United 1K
Stayed there last year before the Covid. It's very close to SJC.

The fee will be waived if you are Globalist with Hyatt or booking on points/using an award.

It's an older hotel but nothing very flashy, and for being a Cat 4 it's best to pay with cash and earn your rebate.

It has about a 2.5 / 5 rating on the World of Hyatt App, which is a little too critical. I'd give it a 3.5/5.

How long are you planning to stay and is it for business / personal pleasure etc?
Old Nov 1, 2020, 12:50 am

I would just stay one night (layover at SJC). I'm thinking I'll most likely just do the Hyatt House by the airport.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:02 am

Stayed at this property for one night during the Covid time and overall experience is good. Staff are nice and the room is spacious.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:26 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Current reviews on hyatt.com are quite discouraging... good to get some opinions from FTers.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 6:45 am

Location: Atlanta, Georgia / New Orleans, Louisiana - Southeastern U.S.
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond Medallion, World of Hyatt Globalist, Southwest CP & United 1K
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I would just stay one night (layover at SJC). I'm thinking I'll most likely just do the Hyatt House by the airport.
Yeah, it will do for one night. I also stayed here as part of a layover.

If you're trying to meet your explore the different Hyatt brand requirement to get your Cat 1-4 reward by exploring different properties then this could be worth it if you don't have Destination already.

Overall, no issues. Thinking chengchl has a more accurate update than myself being the more recent stay.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by chengchl
Stayed at this property for one night during the Covid time and overall experience is good. Staff are nice and the room is spacious.
Any idea what they are doing for Globalist breakfast?
Old Feb 12, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC E50K, DL GM , Hyatt Glob.
Originally Posted by ATLMichael
Yeah, it will do for one night. I also stayed here as part of a layover.

If you're trying to meet your explore the different Hyatt brand requirement to get your Cat 1-4 reward by exploring different properties then this could be worth it if you don't have Destination already.

Overall, no issues. Thinking chengchl has a more accurate update than myself being the more recent stay.
Hello! Couple of questions Looking at a 3 night stay.
1) this vs. hyatt place? I typically prefer new, but was this place well maintained?
2) What was the breakfast situation?
3) Does this property give out upgrades for Glob?
4) decent internet + desk?
many thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2021, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by homegrowned
Hello! Couple of questions Looking at a 3 night stay.
1) this vs. hyatt place? I typically prefer new, but was this place well maintained?
2) What was the breakfast situation?
3) Does this property give out upgrades for Glob?
4) decent internet + desk?
many thanks!
Happened to have chances to stay at both properties last year. I would definitely recommend Hotel De Anza over Hyatt Place nearby.

1) Hyatt place San Jose Downtown looks newer but Hotel De Anza is also well maintained. You know, HP is always the same however, Hotel De Anza looks more like a boutique hotel... So it totally depends on your preference.
2) Hyatt place San Jose Downtown offers Grab to Go during the Covid time. I skipped breakfast at Hotel De Anza so I cannot comment much.
3) Hyatt place San Jose Downtown offered me to a high floor; Hotel De Anza offered me the Parlor Suite
4) Decent internet + desk at both properties.

By the way, just if you are interested, parking is complimentary because of the recent promotion at Hotel De Anza however, you cannot expect free parking at Hyatt Place San Jose Downtown for some reason because they closed their garage? You probably need to find a nearby overnight parking lot.
ashishsg likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 3:28 pm

Happened to have chances to stay at both properties last year. I would definitely recommend Hotel De Anza over Hyatt Place nearby.

1) Hyatt place San Jose Downtown looks newer but Hotel De Anza is also well maintained. You know, HP is always the same however, Hotel De Anza looks more like a boutique hotel... So it totally depends on your preference.
2) Hyatt place San Jose Downtown offers Grab to Go during the Covid time. I skipped breakfast at Hotel De Anza so I cannot comment much.
3) Hyatt place San Jose Downtown offered me to a high floor; Hotel De Anza offered me the Parlor Suite
4) Decent internet + desk at both properties.

By the way, just if you are interested, parking is complimentary because of the recent promotion at Hotel De Anza however, you cannot expect free parking at Hyatt Place San Jose Downtown for some reason because they closed their garage? You probably need to find a nearby overnight parking lot.
Thank you for the insight! Yes - I generally prefer boutiques too, but have been caught in odd spots without desks before. Well maintained is a huge plus so i'll book a few nights there!

Thanks for the super quick reply.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by homegrowned
this vs. hyatt place? I typically prefer new, but was this place well maintained?
The Hyatt Place sucks. It's old, cheap construction.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The Hyatt Place sucks. It's old, cheap construction.
huh had me fooled. Thanks for your quick reply! Booked for the Hotel De Anza end of Feb.

Appreciate all y'all's help.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:57 pm

Stayed here recently for 6 nights. Upgraded to the Parlor Suite a day ahead of check-in. Tom, their Director of Ops is fantastic. Had a welcome bottle of wine waiting in the room. Late checkout proactively offered. Wifi was a bit spotty during a couple hours a day. but otherwise was actually great - could do zoom meetings, stream and play video games without any issue.
Furniture as others have noted is a bit worn, but works. Room was clean, bathroom large and very clean - perhaps they only renovated the bathroom without the rest of the room? Felt newer than the rest.
Will definitely stay here again in the future. Also dodged a bullet with the Fairmont up the road closing mid-stay and kicking out the Vegas golden knights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.