Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Cape Town REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Cape Town REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 18, 2024, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by khabah
Speaking of the email chain above... I received one of those emails a few weeks ago for my upcoming stay next month. I'm on a rate with a seven day cancellation window and zero prepayment, so I ignored that email thinking it was fishy. I received a second one some time ago, and a third one today along with a written message from a property reservation agent with a Hyatt.com domain that was, frankly, aggressive in that they notified me that I received three messages about the prepayment and if I don't prepay 50 percent upfront, they'll release my reservation as it's during a high-demand season. I responded with a screenshot of my booking informing them that there's no prepayment necessary, and received a copy-paste response of the initial email. Ummm...?

I contacted the Globalist line and brought this to their attention, and after it was escalated to their management circle, I was told to ignore any communications of this nature and they would review it from an IT and internal perspective.

Gross - this almost makes me want to shift my booking to another place.

khabah
Booked this hotel about a month and a half out from our stay, and as noted, I received an email prompt to pay in advance. Going off this thread, I made the payment to ensure our reservation was booked.

About two weeks before the stay, my spouse and I decided to stay at The Marine in Hermanus instead, so we cancelled our HR booking (well in advance of the 7 day cancellation period). All the usual cancellation emails came through from Hyatt, but a week later, I realized from my credit card statement that the prepayment was not refunded. I emailed the hotel notifying them that I wanted the advance deposit refunded, and they emailed back asking whether I would like to have the amount retained as a property credit for the next time we come to stay there or refunded to my credit card. Is this hustle culture, or did the guest services agent not read what my first email said?

Nevertheless, I replied that I wanted the refund, and it posted back to my card the next day. Annoying to have to chase it down. I wonder how many people book this hotel well in advance, change their plans, and forget that they made the sizable deposit.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:03 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Adding more to the post above:

The CS team came back to me apologizing for the inconvenience of dealing with the whole pre-payment thing, but told me that it's the property's practice. I then received yet another email from the hotel asking me to pre-pay which I ignored and guess what? My reservation still stands. I was even able to apply a SUA to my booking to secure a Regency Suite [handy given this property's gamesmanship with upgrading Globs] without so much as a whisper from CS about pre-payment.

I'm heading to the hotel later this month and not expecting any issues with my booking remaining intact. If only they'd iron out this unpleasantness.

khabah
Edgewater Folk likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:38 pm

khabah how was your stay?
Old Jun 22, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
We had some weird experience with that too. They asked for pre-payment and routed us to some dodgy looking site where we actually could not process our US CC (the corporate laptop would not allow us to proceed due to security reasons so this tells you something) and then they just cancelled our reservation. We're working with the concierge now but might just go elsewhere. Very weird and such a thing never happened to us before. We're staying also in 2 Mr & Mrs smith properties and no issues with charging our CCs there so it must be hotel-specific thing.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 11:47 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
A couple months late to respond to a poster upthread, but here are some notes from my late Feb stay:
  • Location is on Buitengracht Street in the city center, walking distance from some good coffee spots in De Waterkant and a block over from Bree Street. I was repeatedly warned about walking around solo in Cape Town, and I did feel a tiny bit on edge at certain points even in broad daylight... but exercise caution and awareness, don't carry valuables/look flashy and you'll be fine. Can't speak to walking about at night as I didn't do any.
  • Used an SUA to confirm a Regency Suite; I think the property is coy about suite upgrades in general, so definitely put one to use if this matters to you.
  • The Regency Suite I was assigned was on the second floor overlooking the pool and Bo-Kaap; modern, renovated and with plenty of space across a separate living room with L-shaped couch, four-top dining table, desk and large counter space with sink, and a separate bedroom with king bed, wardrobe and bathroom with freestanding tub and separate shower.
  • Interestingly, the property wasn't fully renovated during my stay and I was told there are still several floors in the old design.
  • Breakfast was downstairs in the main restaurant, and is a decent spread of breakfast staples and some SA-inspired dishes.
  • The club lounge offering is between 5 and 7 PM in the entryway of Urchin, a Japanese restaurant operated independently of the hotel above the lobby; it consists of rotating canaps and snacks, as well as beer, red and white wine. As a light evening eater, it was enough for me to nosh on [I also grabbed some sushi from the restaurant], but don't hold back from eating out in fabulous Cape Town.
  • There is a complimentary shuttle that takes guests to the V&A Waterfront; be sure to ask about this at the concierge.
  • Service was lovely throughout my stay, with lots of staff being friendly, energetic and genuine in their expression and delivery.
I'd come back here, but still hope that Hyatt adds more options in the city.

khabah
Old Jun 25, 2024, 3:57 pm

I visited in March and had a similar experience. I thought the property was a steal at Cat 2 but now that it's a Cat 1 it's a no brainer. Having lived most of my life in Manhattan, I had no problem walking around. You just have to walk with direction and a purpose and look like you know where you're going. The breakfast was good as was the happy hour offerings. The staff was super nice. No complaints here. I thought it was a very good stay.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2024, 9:31 am

This property is just outside the main streets for the city center which may not sound like much but does make a difference in noise, foot traffic, and perceived safety. Ive walked from this area to the V and A area during the day without any problems with my gf. Its an easy walk to Kloof street bars before night fall and an easy taxi ride back. The start for the hop on/off bus is a 5 minute walk as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.