Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Cape Town REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Cape Town REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2021, 1:23 pm

I was looking for reviews online for this place but couldn't find any so I hope this helps someone.

Currently staying at the hotel right now as an Explorist on a Club Access Award. Hotel decor is beautiful, service is very attentive and extremely polite, but it seems like a lot of staff are still very new to the hotel and the Hyatt system. There's a lack of attention to small details in many areas, but overall if you must stay at a Hyatt, this is not a bad choice. Also, it's a halal hotel so no alcohol anywhere.

Lounge:
The FD had no idea what the club access awards are during check-in and kept telling me I had to pay for breakfast and lounge access even though I was assigned a Club level room. I had to check back the next day with the manager who told me I did have access and that I was already on the list for free breakfast in the restaurant and lounge access. For some reason, I did not have access on the keycard and the lounge attendant was kind enough to key it for me. As mentioned, there is absolutely no alcohol in the hotel so what used to be the lobby bar area is now a Starbucks branded coffee station with to-go food. The lounge food is great and the selection rotates everyday. The interior decor feels like a really fancy living room and has tables large and small along with sofas too. There is even an amazing attendant in the evenings, but without any wine, beer, or alcohol, I wouldn't consider this lounge a proper lounge for an international hotel chain. The immediate area is also not the safest at night and the area with bars is a couple blocks away so if alcohol is important, pick another hotel.

Today there was samosas, chicken curry, roti, a local cornmeal based dish, 2 different salads, and 2 different dessert cakes. Range of teas, sodas, sparkling and still waters.

Room:
Club level room is super spacious and looks amazing on the surface. The bed, sheets, and pillows are really comfortable. Bathroom is huge and comes with a bathtub that could fit 2 normal sized people. The sofa is huge and the separate desk and table set up is great. It's a shame they only have instant coffee in the room. There were lots of small details that weren't taken care of. The glass shower door doesn't appear properly installed and is falling off the hinge, there's some caulk and plaster stuck on the bottom of the bathtub, and also some unfilled holes in the bathroom tiles from previous renovation probably. Some paint are already peeling in the corners of the bathroom. My room card was given in an old tattered card sleeve with the room number on it and the "Do Not Disturb" card for the door knob is ripped and on its last legs.

I was also told that all suites are currently being renovated so they're not available.

Property:
Again, the attention to details is missing here. The newly renovated areas are gorgeous. The lobby feels very spacious and open and there's a corner spot on every floor with seating to look at the amazing views of the city. Unfortunately, the business meeting rooms are not renovated and look tired. The pool outside has a good amount of leaves and debris floating in it, and ironically still has pool cleaning equipment left in it. It's been like that for 3 days. It's also one of the smaller HR pools, probably enough for a dip during the summer but definitely not enough for swimming. I believe they serve juices and snacks poolside during the day but the tables are not promptly cleared after the guests leave. The small fitness room is open but definitely feels like an afterthought. It's only accessible through the door next to the outdoor pool deck and has only some free weights and cardio machines, nothing else. You have to make a reservation or make sure there's no one currently in it to use it for covid reasons. Internet is quite slow and clocks in at 5mbit up/down but more or less stable enough for zoom meetings.

Breakfast has almost the same selection everyday. It's also halal so think chicken sausages, sauteed mushrooms, beef macon, made to order eggs, pastrami slices, cheeses, and stuff like that.

It also seems like this hotel layout wasn't built to be a luxury hotel. There's not really a driveway or parking area in front of the hotel. It's on this street corner of a busy road and a smaller street and squarely takes up all the available land area. It feels more like the average business hotel in the states and doesn't really compare to other international HR properties.

The immediate area like I mentioned doesn't have a whole lot going on except bo-kaap and isn't the safest at night. I parked my rental car outside for an hour on the street and got all 4 hubcaps stolen. It's partially my fault that I didn't want to pay 150zar to use the underground lot for an afternoon nap and shower. The parking garage rate says TBD on the website but costs 150zar with in/out per day.

Personally feel like this should be downgraded to a Hyatt Centric or Hyatt Place instead. All in all, I'd probably not return in its current state unless I was doing some Hyatt mattress run. I only gave it a chance because the stay 3 get 1 night free promo brought the nightly rates down to just over 1000zar with tax and I had club access awards to burn while trying to reach Globalist. Also beware, the stay x get 1 night free offers only post elite night credits for the paid nights and not the free one. If I were to pay for a hotel with club access, I would definitely go for the Westin in Cape Town. If I wanted a convenient location to stay and wander by foot, I probably would have picked one of the million other hotels that are more centrally located. It's good enough for a business hotel I guess.

Last edited by untrueparadox; Nov 30, 2021 at 8:31 pm
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:36 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by untrueparadox
I was looking for reviews online for this place but couldn't find any so I hope this helps someone.

Currently staying at the hotel right now as an Explorist on a Club Access Award. Hotel decor is beautiful, service is very attentive and extremely polite, but it seems like a lot of staff are still very new to the hotel and the Hyatt system. There's a lack of attention to small details in many areas, but overall if you must stay at a Hyatt, this is not a bad choice.

Lounge:
The FD had no idea what the club access awards are during check-in and kept telling me I had to pay for breakfast and lounge access even though I was assigned a Club level room. I had to check back the next day with the manager who told me I did have access and that I was already on the list for free breakfast in the restaurant and lounge access. For some reason, I did not have access on the keycard and the lounge attendant was kind enough to key it for me. As mentioned, there is absolutely no alcohol in the hotel so what used to be the lobby bar area is now a Starbucks branded coffee station with to-go food. The lounge food is great and the selection rotates everyday. The interior decor feels like a really fancy living room and has tables large and small along with sofas too. There is even an amazing attendant in the evenings, but without any wine, beer, or alcohol, I wouldn't consider this lounge a proper lounge for an international hotel chain. The immediate area is also not the safest at night and the area with bars is a couple blocks away so if alcohol is important, pick another hotel.

Today there was samosas, chicken curry, roti, a local cornmeal based dish, 2 different salads, and 2 different dessert cakes. Range of teas, sodas, sparkling and still waters.

Room:
Club level room is super spacious and looks amazing on the surface. The bed, sheets, and pillows are really comfortable. Bathroom is huge and comes with a bathtub that could fit 2 normal sized people. The sofa is huge and the separate desk and table set up is great. It's a shame they only have instant coffee in the room. There were lots of small details that weren't taken care of. The glass shower door doesn't appear properly installed and is falling off the hinge, there's some caulk and plaster stuck on the bottom of the bathtub, and also some unfilled holes in the bathroom tiles from previous renovation probably. Some paint are already peeling in the corners of the bathroom. My room card was given in an old tattered card sleeve with the room number on it and the "Do Not Disturb" card for the door knob is ripped and on its last legs.

I was also told that all suites are currently being renovated so they're not available.

Property:
Again, the attention to details is missing here. The newly renovated areas are gorgeous. The lobby feels very spacious and open and there's a corner spot on every floor with seating to look at the amazing views of the city. Unfortunately, he business meeting rooms are not renovated and look tired. The pool outside has a good amount of leaves and debris floating in it, and ironically still has pool cleaning equipment left in it. It's been like that for 3 days. It's also one of the smaller HR pools, probably enough for a dip during the summer but definitely not enough for swimming. I believe they serve juices and snacks poolside but the tables are not promptly cleared after the guests leave. The small fitness room is open but definitely feels like an afterthought. It's only accessible through the door next to the outdoor pool deck and has only some free weights and cardio machines, nothing else. You have to make a reservation or make sure there's no one currently in it to use it for covid reasons. Internet is quite slow and clocks in at 5mbit up/down but more or less stable enough for zoom meetings.

Breakfast has almost the same selection everyday. It's also halal so think chicken sausages, sauteed mushrooms, beef? bacon?, made to order eggs, pastrami slices, cheeses, and stuff like that.

It also seems like this hotel layout wasn't built to be a luxury hotel. There's not really a driveway or parking area in front of the hotel. It's on this street corner of a busy road and a smaller street and squarely takes up all the available land area. It feels more like the average business hotel in the states and doesn't really compare to other international HR properties.

The immediate area like I mentioned doesn't have a whole lot going on except bo-kaap and isn't the safest at night. I parked my rental car outside for an hour on the street and got all 4 hubcaps stolen. It's partially my fault that I didn't want to pay 150zar to use the underground lot for an afternoon nap and shower. The parking garage rate says TBD on the website but costs 150zar with in/out per day.

Personally feel like this should be downgraded to a Hyatt Centric or Hyatt Place instead. All in all, I'd probably not return in its current state unless I was doing some Hyatt mattress run. I only gave it a chance because the stay 3 get 1 night free promo brought the nightly rates down to just over 1000zar with tax and I had club access awards to burn while trying to reach Globalist. If I were to pay for a hotel with club access, I would definitely go for the Westin in Cape Town. If I wanted just a nice place to sleep while on vacation, I probably would have picked one of the million other hotels that are more centrally located.
i'm glad someone finally shared their experience at this new-ish property.

I'll be in CPT for 3-4 nights in January and I am considering staying at this hotel. First time ever in CPT. Any idea if free parking is available for Globalists?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
i'm glad someone finally shared their experience at this new-ish property.

I'll be in CPT for 3-4 nights in January and I am considering staying at this hotel. First time ever in CPT. Any idea if free parking is available for Globalists?
It should be if you book with points, but the redemptions seem pretty bad given the low cash rates. Most of the hotels near CBD and V&A all charge around the same for parking so I wouldn't pick the hotel based on whether you save the 9 Euros for parking.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With three F&B outlets, why is this hotel totally halal instead of perhaps having one halal restaurant and some halal choices on the room service menu? It seems especially odd given that many tourists come to Capetown partly as a starting point for the wine region.
tpsmith82 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With three F&B outlets, why is this hotel totally halal instead of perhaps having one halal restaurant and some halal choices on the room service menu? It seems especially odd given that many tourists come to Capetown partly as a starting point for the wine region.
Absolutly! I was really thinking of staying here, but honestly we enjoyour wine. And if they're not serving it, I'm not staying. Guess they've figured for whatever reason Halal is their market, but honestly I have a hard time believing the majority of their clientel is Halal. Quite the oppoiste I would imagine.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
The hotel originally opened as a coral hotel. IIRC the property owners have always had a strict no-alcohol policy, and only permit halal food to be served. It was always intended to be a hotel that matches the values of the predominantly Muslim Bo-Kaap neighborhood. Even though the hotel has been rebranded twice, the owners are the same and the no-alcohol policy remains.
hedoman and Stewie Mac like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by tpsmith82
Absolutly! I was really thinking of staying here, but honestly we enjoy our wine. And if they're not serving it, I'm not staying. Guess they've figured for whatever reason Halal is their market, but honestly I have a hard time believing the majority of their clientel is Halal. Quite the oppoiste I would imagine.
The HR CP is downtown, not so nice area of Capetown and hardly the place to expecting gourmet meals and fine wines. Cellars-Hohenort (SLH/Hyatt) is a monumentally better choice if you are a foodie or wino, excuse me, "oenophile". By the botanical gardens, which are on their own spectacular. It's a very mature property and rooms are from the 1950's or so, so there's that if you are into that kind or thing or not. We enjoyed the novelty of living as Grandma lived for a 24 hour layover on our way to Namibia in Aug. Super nice staff and willing to chat local politics for hours

Alternatively One&Only in a "harbour enclave" area is awesome and the food is dee-lish.

Word to the wise- South Africa politicians are even nuttier than most in the area of covid theatre, be damn sure you research what level of covid status they are in, as higher levels absolutely forbid sales of any alcohol, anywhere. Ask me know I know about this. They switched levels while we were in transit.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 8:23 am
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
At check in, I was advised that while they do not serve alcohol, but that I could bring in whatever I like, just not drink it in public areas. Not exactly luxury, but I appreciated the candor, and I took advantage. Didn't bother me to have a BYOB drink in my room.

I liked the hotel despite the oddities of their Halal certification. And the unusual club situation, a pre-plated set of food only on demand between 5-7pm. It suited me for a short stay, but by no means a destination by itself, especially for those who like fancy cocktails in hotel bars. (which is me sometimes...)

Location is in Bo-Kaap, and easy access to hikes at Table Mountain. If I was in the area to drink wine, central CT is not the place to stay, with various other options relatively close by, even under the Hyatt umbrella.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:39 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Globalist 9 Night stay, pretty limited, bad luck right before Omicron hit

I stayed here in November 2021 for 9 nights to explore Cape Town during my 1st visit to South Africa. I got incredibly unlucky with the timing because Omicron was discovered literally two nights before I was to checkout to return to the US. Everything was Halal here. Pool was a bit small but decent to dip or lounge on the chairs. Gym was also available, but you had to pre-book with the front desk for your 1-2 hour time slot. Steam room and Sauna is also available, book with front desk.

Rate: Stay 2 nights, 3rd night is Free, average of about $50 USD/Night after taxes which was a steal as SA just opened up!
Room: Booked 1 King bed, Received 1 King Bed with View of table mountain/signal hill. Apparently there were no suites in this hotel/all closed for construction. Not sure if it is true or not as the website to this day shows no suites as an available room type. The room was pretty spacious, with both a bath tub and a separate shower.
Regency Club: Was pretty much empty except for me and maybe for 2 other guests during the canape hour. Quiet place to do work remotely. But offerings were very limited to sodas, still/sparking water, the same wine everyday, no snacks during the day, canapes rotated between falafel, fried fish, chicken kebab on a stick, rice, hummus.
Breakfast: Had a really decent spread of cold meats/smoke salmon cuts, overnight oats with fruit, chicken sausage, pastries, hashbrown, tomatoes, cold fruit, espresso/coffee machine.
Location: Accessible by taking uber to almost about anywhere you wanted. Ubers were pretty cheap here too. Although I would be careful if I was walking during evening/night time as there was a small homeless population surrounding the exterior of the hotel.

Last edited by Gertjaars; Mar 12, 2022 at 4:04 pm
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Any updates from recent stays on the renovation status of the supposed 15 suites?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Wasn't available back November and still not available as of today per my concierge and the hotel. Not even bookable on the app
Originally Posted by dkc192
Any updates from recent stays on the renovation status of the supposed 15 suites?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
I stayed here in November 2021 for 9 nights to explore Cape Town during my 1st visit to South Africa. I got incredibly unlucky with the timing because Omicron was discovered literally two nights before I was to checkout to return to the US. Everything was Halal here. Pool was a bit small but decent to dip or lounge on the chairs. Gym was also available, but you had to pre-book with the front desk for your 1-2 hour time slot. Steam room and Sauna is also available, book with front desk.

Rate: Stay 2 nights, 3rd night is Free, average of about $50 USD/Night after taxes which was a steal as SA just opened up!
Room: Booked 1 King bed, Received 1 King Bed with View of table mountain/signal hill. Apparently there were no suites in this hotel/all closed for construction. Not sure if it is true or not as the website to this day shows no suites as an available room type. The room was pretty spacious, with both a bath tub and a separate shower.
Regency Club: Was pretty much empty except for me and maybe for 2 other guests during the canape hour. Quiet place to do work remotely. But offerings were very limited to sodas, still/sparking water, the same wine everyday, no snacks during the day, canapes rotated between falafel, fried fish, chicken kebab on a stick, rice, hummus.
Breakfast: Had a really decent spread of cold meats/smoke salmon cuts, overnight oats with fruit, chicken sausage, pastries, hashbrown, tomatoes, cold fruit, espresso/coffee machine.
Location: Accessible by taking uber to almost about anywhere you wanted. Ubers were pretty cheap here too. Although I would be careful if I was walking during evening/night time as there was a small homeless population surrounding the exterior of the hotel.

were this canapes offered during the canape hour at the lounge?

I'm asking because I just completed 5 nights (4 nights then 1 night) here and I NEVER saw anything like this. Not even close. The canapes offered were so bad, we overheard another guest complaining to the employee in the lounge that the offerings were the worst he's experienced at a Hyatt Regency.
clublevel15 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Just curious, you mention wine in the Regency Club. All the prior posts I have seen have said there is no alcohol on site. Has this changed?

I will be heading here in a couple months.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:49 am

We were there for a week at the end of February 22 and were disappointed all round. The rooms are noisy. We were woken up every night by other guests in the next room or in the corridor.
The rooms are nice, the bathrooms have not been renovated (some with mould). The club lounge is terrible. Only fried food if anyone was ever there. A staff member came every 30 minutes. Food identical every day! 1 White wine, 1 red wine, constantly too little water. No atmosphere there. Clearly no recommendation at the moment!
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Yes they had wine and champagne here. I didn't drink but other guests did.
Originally Posted by Biscoff27
Just curious, you mention wine in the Regency Club. All the prior posts I have seen have said there is no alcohol on site. Has this changed?

I will be heading here in a couple months.
Yes those are pictures of the canape during their canape hours of 5-7 PM daily IIRC, right in front of the huge TV in the Regency Club back in November/Dec 2021. I'm not sure if your stay occured this month, but keep in mind that it is Ramadan and they could be observing it? = cutbacks in service? Im not sure what has changed since then.
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
were this canapes offered during the canape hour at the lounge?

I'm asking because I just completed 5 nights (4 nights then 1 night) here and I NEVER saw anything like this. Not even close. The canapes offered were so bad, we overheard another guest complaining to the employee in the lounge that the offerings were the worst he's experienced at a Hyatt Regency.
Biscoff27 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.