Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Mission pacific (JdV) and adjacent Seabird resort (Destination) Oceanside, CA MASTER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mission pacific (JdV) and adjacent Seabird resort (Destination) Oceanside, CA MASTER

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by River in Sight
I completed a three night stay last weekend at Mission Pacific and used a TSU to get into the Dreamscape Suite (I was assigned the southwestern-most suite on the 2nd floor). I had a great stay and am already planning when I can return.

Breakfast: At Piper, was a buffet on Sunday ($40) with a very limited a la carte menu. I thought the buffet was great with many different kinds of options; eggs to order were included along with coffee/tea. Monday and Tuesday were a la carte only with around a dozen options. I had the salmon flatbread and the grain bowl; both excellent. The credit was $40 per person. Breakfast was very busy Sunday and I would recommend making a reservation, as there was a slight wait.

Noise: I live in a city so I’m used to noise - if you’re looking for quiet, you may be disappointed. I couldn’t hear the trains from our room, but they start early and come often. I did hear car noise but it didn’t bother me at all - there was also noise from the restaurant. I believe all of this is easily solved with a white noise machine but if noise will bother you, reconsider.

Pool: Not heated at Mission Pacific and too cold for me - there is a small hot tub that can hold around 4 people, and I used that. I really liked the pool area although it is a little awkward having to walk through the bar/lounge area in your swim clothes. The views out to the water are beautiful. I didn’t bother to check out the pool at Seabird.

Beach Service: Chairs and umbrellas are included and service was very friendly; there is a large food truck type thing on the beach offering this service, along with food and beverage (didn’t have any). The beach is very large with plenty of room to sit.

Room/View: Straight on view of the ocean and pier - I loved the view. I also loved the room and heard no noise from neighbors (only noise was from the outside); there was a nice-sized patio with two chairs and a table.

My only issue was the front desk would not take off the destination fee at check-out, noting Globalists only get it removed on free nights. I referred this to my concierge. We left for San Diego via Coaster and that’s around a 10 minute walk from the hotel, plus an hour ride.

I paid $285/nt and thought the hotel was a great value. In the future, it will be a tough decision between here and Huntington Beach. HB has more pools and slides and more for kids to do, but I really really enjoyed Mission Pacific and looking directly at the water (vs. HB where a lot of the views are more distant).
definitely would follow up regarding destination fee. I experienced it at Thompson Hollywood and had to call the front desk a couple days after with my confirmation number and they reversed the charge.

glad you enjoyed your stay minus the destination fee hiccup! I really enjoy both The Seabird and Mission Pacific as a close mini getaway
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Thoroughly disappointed by the Seabird- atrocious service

We stayed here for three nights during our recent vacation on the Californian coast. I remember Oceanside from a school exchange some 30 years ago so it has a special place in my heart. Hearing about two Hyatt properties, the Seabird and neighbouring Mission Pacific opening brand new here in a recently gentrified area of town, I was instantly excited.

Let me just put it out there- the hard product of this hotel is absolutely gorgeous. As Hyatt globalists we got a semi-generous upgrade to a full oceanview room which has spectacular views of the Pacific ocean and the historic Oceanside pier which we could enjoy from our private balcony, perfect for watching the sunset. The rooms are stylish, well appointed and mostly comfortable though we found the mattress and bedding strangely “plastic-y” which is usually not the case in Hyatt properties. We also liked our free breakfast at Pipers as well as the pool side service.

Unfortunately, this is where the good news ends. Because service at this hotel (outside of tippeable service at the restaurant or by the pool) is outrageously bad. Bad, bad, bad. It started off badly with the (mostly bored looking) staff at the lobby entrance enjoying staring at us getting our luggage out of the car instead of offering a helping hand. Reception staff came across incredibly rude and tried to tell me that this property doesn’t offer any housekeeping service. When I reacted in disbelief, I was told that as a Hyatt Globalist, I will “generously” get my room serviced daily. Upon politely questioning whether this was still an aftershock of Covid, I was told that “we don’t have enough staff on”. Well- in my mind getting your room serviced is one of the essential reasons to stay at a full service hotel and “not having enough staff” is a problem for their Human Resources department, and not a problem for me to have to manage, as the guest. Also- the rates here are not exactly post Covid welcome back rates, going for $300 upwards per night, so if you have trouble finding housekeeping staff, maybe offer them a dollar or two more, I am sure Hyatt Corporation will survive just fine.

The next day we spent by the pool which unfortunately looks very different in real from those staged photos on the Hyatt website- it’s basically a toddler screaming kindergarten nightmare with unruly kids EVERYWHERE. No chance for relaxation, zero- it was actually way worse than at our last property in Anaheim where you’d expect children due to Disneyland up the road. During our absence, a very light service was offered in the room without replacing the used wine glasses or emptying the bins in the room. Also zero trace of vacuuming the floors, wiping the tables, nothing. On the second day, even worse, we noticed by around 3pm that no one had been to our room. Calling guest services I am once again told the fairy tale about service being available only after every third night so here I am having yet another heated discussion asking for the most basic of hotel services. In the end, the unfriendly and downright rude person complies. I leave a polite note in the room asking for fresh glasses and the bins being emptied (do I really have to?) together with some tip. Coming back to our room in the evening, the same old wine glasses with the dried in red wine stains have been left unwashed and unchanged for the second day in a row and housekeeping was pretty much limited to throwing some new towels into the room. Needless to say, the tip was gone.

Later in the evening, we went to the ground floor bar to ask for two fresh wine glasses, as we had done the night before. However, this time the bar staff made up a new rule that “we are not allowed to give you wine glasses to take” so we asked at reception instead. The incredibly unfriendly guy at reception first said “ask at the bar” and after I explained that we already tried that (obvious left hand, right hand problems here) “No problem Sir, we’ll send it up” and I was instantly suspicious as he had not even asked for our room number. I told him and we went our way. Needless to say- we waited in vain for our glasses and my attempts to get through to someone on the “Guest Services” hotline were not successful (the line basically goes to nowhere past 8pm which, I was told the next day, was apparently “normal” at this property). We felt like idiots drinking wine out of water tumblers while paying big Dollars for our stay.

The worst really was how staff reacted to my complains on the day of departure. The guy who checked me out was the same rude guy who took my request for wine glasses the night before only to ignore it. He knew straight away what I was going to say when I started with “The hard product is great but…” and told me straight up that housekeeping wasn’t up to scratch. And he remembered the wine glasses from the night before without even an attempt of explanation for what happened, let alone an apology. Likewise the guest services hotline apparently is “always off past 8pm” as if that was a normal thing. But it gets worse even: He then generously offers me to take the Destination fee off my bill. When I tell him that this isn’t much of an offer as I would not have to pay this anyway as a Globalist, what does the guy do? He tries to lecture me that destination fees are not waved as a Globalist, so I had to search the Hyatt website to show him otherwise. He still does not concur, tells me that my rate must have been “somehow ineligible” and then goes onto a rant how they have “many many Globalists in this property and unfortunately, they always think they get everything for free which is not true”. Wow, I once again was completely speechless. So after pretty much messing up everything a property could possibly mess up, the attempt to offer a resolution ends up in a heated discussion about hotel benefits. This just proved what I had thought all along- front office at this property is a big part of the problem. I overheard other guests being belittled in a similar manner at reception and witnessed how a lady by the pool asked for some sunscreen but was told to “maybe check the gift store”. Whatever this hotel is doing, it’s not training their staff to offer proper customer service. And the entire front desk crew needs a reality check- you can’t charge these kind of prices and then offer service that would not be good enough at a random Days Inn by the freeway, let alone a “posh and trendy” Hyatt property. Very disappointing overall., which is a shame given that excellent hard product.
Thunderroad and atlion25 like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP
is the pool heated at the seabird? i remember it not being heated, but google (LOL) says it is..

can anyone chime in? THX
Old May 25, 2022, 10:24 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by broncophil
is the pool heated at the seabird? i remember it not being heated, but google (LOL) says it is..

can anyone chime in? THX
Can't be certain, but we did go in January and swam in the pool, and it was comfortable. So I imagine it was.
broncophil likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by broncophil

can anyone chime in? THX
Yes, it is. Outside temperature was in the low 70s when I was there and the pool was fine to swim in, the hotel told me they heat to 86 degrees but I'm not sure it seemed quite as warm as that but it was perfectly fine (if momentarily a bit chilly as you get in).
broncophil likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP
Thank you. I remember it being pretty cold in the pool when I was there. Going again this weekend and the weather is high 60s so wasn’t sure if pool was gonna be a good idea.

Originally Posted by gleff
Yes, it is. Outside temperature was in the low 70s when I was there and the pool was fine to swim in, the hotel told me they heat to 86 degrees but I'm not sure it seemed quite as warm as that but it was perfectly fine (if momentarily a bit chilly as you get in).
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:11 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Pool at MP is roughly 82F, we measured it

Yesterday, MP implemented a 6% „surcharge“ to all F&B consumptions. I noticed yesterday and today I asked the waitress what this is. She says it was introduced yesterday to cover higher costs… so I presume to cover some of the inflation…

used a TSU to upgrade to a wonderful dreamscape suite. Stayed at the Seabird over New Years and wanted to try this hotel. We enjoy this JdV hotel more. Full review will follow. Basically wanted to advise of this surcharge crap…
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Pool at MP is roughly 82F, we measured it

Yesterday, MP implemented a 6% „surcharge“ to all F&B consumptions. I noticed yesterday and today I asked the waitress what this is. She says it was introduced yesterday to cover higher costs… so I presume to cover some of the inflation…

used a TSU to upgrade to a wonderful dreamscape suite. Stayed at the Seabird over New Years and wanted to try this hotel. We enjoy this JdV hotel more. Full review will follow. Basically wanted to advise of this surcharge crap…
Wow. Sorry about getting hit mid-trip with new surcharge crap.

David
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:11 am

We have an upcoming stay here at the Mission Pacific in January. We will have a 4 month old baby during this trip and are looking to relax and enjoy the (hopefully) heated pools. I applied a TSU to the Bohemian suite, but now am second guessing and wondering if we should book the Seabird Grand Ocean suite.

Any advice between the two suites?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:48 pm

How long does it take to show a TSU upgrade as “applied” in your account after you submit the request? I used the chat function last week to apply it to a reservation but it still doesn’t show any changes in my account or reservation. I used the chat function to double check and they confirmed that they put my request in..
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:00 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by pluu1285
How long does it take to show a TSU upgrade as “applied” in your account after you submit the request? I used the chat function last week to apply it to a reservation but it still doesn’t show any changes in my account or reservation. I used the chat function to double check and they confirmed that they put my request in..
I always call my MHC, and everything is done instantly.
unless you have booked using points, you will not see it in your reservation, only the TSU would be pulled from your account. But still, done instantly.
pluu1285 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:09 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cmag211
We have an upcoming stay here at the Mission Pacific in January. We will have a 4 month old baby during this trip and are looking to relax and enjoy the (hopefully) heated pools. I applied a TSU to the Bohemian suite, but now am second guessing and wondering if we should book the Seabird Grand Ocean suite.

Any advice between the two suites?

difficult question. I still need to post my review of the MP. Stayed in the Bohemian Suite room 757 and loved it. I generally preferred the MP Suite over the Seabird Suite tbh. Layout, furnishings, view, balcony.

some say the Seabird may be better with kids/baby though. Pool is bigger. But other than that I like the MP much more.
only downside is, that Glob breakfast is only in the Seabird Piper, so you need to consider going over. Not a real issue though, only I would have preferred having at hi/lo restaurant, but that is operated by a 3rd party and not Hyatt.

hope this helps. I will try to post a review and pics of the Suite asap.
Cmag211 likes this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Jun 25, 2022 at 7:33 am Reason: typos
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:38 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 59Impala
difficult question. I still need to post my review of the MP. Stayed in the Bohemian Suite room 757 and loved it. I generally preferred the MP Suite over the Seabird Suite tbh. Layout, furnishings, view, balcony.

some say the Seabird may be better with kids/baby though. Pool is bigger. But other than that I like the MP much more.
only downside is, that Glob breakfast is only in the Seabird Piper, so you need to consider going over. Not a real issue though, only I would have preferred having at hi/lo restaurant, but that is operated by a 3rd party and not Hyatt.

hope this helps. I will try to post a review and pics of the Suite asap.
if you don’t mind, can you answer a few questions for me?

1. Is there silverware and cutlery in the Bohemian Suite? Did they provide free refills of the Illy coffee?

2. Did you get take out for breakfast?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:42 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
if you don’t mind, can you answer a few questions for me?

1. Is there silverware and cutlery in the Bohemian Suite? Did they provide free refills of the Illy coffee?

2. Did you get take out for breakfast?

1. yes, daily refills. Very good housekeeping in general. Completed in the mornings as requested by me.
2. no, We did not, always had breakfast at Pipers.
Jimgotkp likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:12 pm

Have a points booking on a standard room at Mission Pacific. Bohemian suite is available for sale and also available for cash plus 6k point upgrade.

I want to use a 50 night suite upgrade. Customer service says I cannot use the cert. Have called twice with the same answer. Am I missing something or should I be persistent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.