Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Center City Philadelphia REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Center City Philadelphia REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by manu08
This review is for a stay back in August. Buckle up, this one is longer than typical. Oy vey, what a bad experience.

Booking & Check In
Booked directly on hyatt.com with cash for a Standard King. When we showed up things set a pretty bad tone and never fully recovered. We drove up to the valet which was overwhelmed and there was basically zero space left anywhere up and down the street to put cars. They were a bit frantic when we pulled up and not impressed that we had luggage and you know...needed a moment to unload the car. Furthering the stress was that luggage carts were in short supply, and when I asked hotel staff for suggestions I was criticized for arriving while it’s busy and given zero help. We took to stalking other guests to eventually get a cart.

Once we got the car sorted things didn’t improve with check in at the front desk. It was a hasty check-in process without any explanation of Globalist benefits or any real welcome, which was surprising given that unlike the valet, the front desk was not busy at all. To add insult to injury, we quickly unloaded our cart upstairs and returned it to the lobby to try to help them with the shortage -- but instead of a thank you I was told I needed to take it to another elevator bank to return it to a different storage area. I don’t mean to sound entitled, but numerous hotel staff were standing around doing nothing.

Hotel & location
On the plus side, the hard product is nice. It’s a fairly standard situation as other new Centrics, but I do like the brand's hard product. I know it’s repetitive, but it’s still clean & modern. The location is also good, right in the middle of Center City near all the action.

Room
The room was decent overall. I don’t love that the water closet is a sliding door that leaves you craving the privacy offered by a door that actually shuts fully. But the only real issue we had with the room was that A/C was unable to keep up with the heat wave. On the plus side the room was very quiet despite being in the middle of a major city.
I might have checked out right there and told them where to go with that cart.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:04 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The lions share seem to love the hotel on review websites so I think as sad as this stay was seems that it may be isolated
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:07 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
The lions share seem to love the hotel on review websites so I think as sad as this stay was seems that it may be isolated
Yes, I’ve had good experiences here.

That being said, the labor issues seem to be more problematic right now than ever before during the last 1.5 years. I recently had a stay at the Four Seasons in Philadelphia, which theoretically should be able to pay its way out of labor shortage, where F&B service was pretty bad.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
These days the review websites seem to be either what I would call "overly exuberant" or "gloom and doom" with a lack of objective feedback. Both need to be discounted to a degree in my book with the truth probably somewhere in between.

Also, expectations can vary vastly and I have seen people go on and on about "exceptional" service or things that were just the hotel actually doing what was part of the core services and nothing outstanding. YMMV.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:58 pm

Yikes. We also had a stay in August but ours was pretty good, if rather uneventful. Glad we had no vehicle and did not have to deal with valet.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:59 pm

Yikes, we also had a stay in August but ours was pretty good. Glad we did not have a vehicle lol.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Just stayed one night over the weekend, globalist. App said my room was upgraded before I arrived but I didn't bother to do mobile check-in (maybe I need to in the future). When I checked in there was no acknowledgement of globalist or of globalist benefits, was just given a basic king room. I checked the app and saw no more standard suites for the night so maybe it got booked up by the time I arrived.

I called down for my water bottles which were sent up, I think asked about other globalist benefits at the property and they let me know I get $25 per occupant at the restaurant for breakfast (which I did enjoy). I had to call morning of check out and asked if I could receive late check out which they granted up to 4pm.

Overall I really liked the hard product but their check in staff could use some more training in regards to globalists.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Overall, a disappointing experience when compared to many of my other Hyatt stays (but I recognize I have a high bar set for Hyatt).

Despite executive suites being available online, I was only upgraded to a City View King - at check-in, they said they were fully committed for the "weekend" - guess they didn't want to deal with my late check-out. I will admit that the view from the 13th floor was pretty good (Comcast Center, etc.). I had to ask about Globalist benefits (breakfast), had to go back down for waters (none in room or offered at check-in - when I went back, I got "wait, they weren't given at check-in" - like I'm trying to scam them for more waters), late check-out wasn't put on my account (had to get keys reactivated the next morning).

The room itself is attractive from a design sense, IMO, but Housekeeping was very shoddy. Urine stains and body hairs lined the underside of the toilet seat when I checked in, hairs in some of the towels, the bed was poorly made where the sheets were so uneven that the mattress was exposed at the foot of the bed (I had to remake the bed myself). The TV system didn't work when I checked in, but it magically started working a few hours later as I was going to call for Engineering.

The bed itself (after being remade) was comfortable, and the shower worked pretty well (wouldn't consider that bad pressure). My climate control system also didn't have any noise issues.

Breakfast is in the restaurant ($25 credit) on Saturdays and Sundays only - there was only one server, so she was trying. The pancakes were actually quite good, but the coffee was lukewarm.

The 13th floor hallway had a very strong smoke smell (either cigarettes or weed - I couldn't tell), but luckily, it didn't come into my room. The hallway carpets were also pretty dirty and needed a good vacuuming.

Generally, I didn't feel like this property was up to Hyatt standards, but it was 1/3 of the cost of The Bellevue, so I guess I got what I paid for.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:14 pm

Thank You for your review.
Thanksgiving Week
I fared much better than you but still undecided if I would return again.
Managed to get a great rate so kept my booking there @ 135 per night
Had I paid what others were paying 200 dollars a night and up I would have been deeply disappointed
There is no way this is a category 5 hotel @ 20k in points.So I would never redeem here.
I Confirmed a suite upgrade in advance and glad I did.

Positives:
Everyone was nice to me and appeared to care genuinely
Clean room odor free
Great bed(just right not hard not to soft (please send them to Andaz West Hollywood Hyatt Please!!!
Complimentary glass bottled sparking water in my suite(in my Lifetime Glob profile so some hotels look at this and go the extra mile)
Nice view of Philly Center City & Church
Nice looking room and bathroom IKEA like nothing high end but pleasant enough and new!
Hotel Generously extended my check out till 5PM for a late check out (3rd time in my life I've ever asked )

Negatives:
Housing challenged man (politically correct) in first floor entrance way no doorman so security wise not a good feeling
Breakfast Unacceptable even by Hyatt Place standards.Grab and go shrink wrapped whatevers.This was the biggest deal killer of my stay.
Told to come back Saturday or Sunday where they offered something nicer in house (huh)
Location down a side street that kept flooding and had traffic jams.I had to walk across the street to get ride share to avoid getting stuck

At the end of the day no comparison I would still take the Bellevue.I stayed there for 3 nights first and though there was no housekeeping
the restaurant was closed as was the iconic Sporting Club I was happier
Every morning a great generous breakfast to look forward too with their complimentary room service!
River in Sight likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Thank You for your review.
Positives:
Great bed(just right not hard not to soft (please send them to Andaz West Hollywood Hyatt Please!!!
Complimentary glass bottled sparking water in my suite(in my Lifetime Glob profile so some hotels look at this and go the extra mile)
Nice view of Philly Center City & Church
Nice looking room and bathroom IKEA like nothing high end but pleasant enough and new!
Agreed, I sent my feedback to my Concierge. I'm not trying to fish for compensation, but I would like for the hotel's management and ownership to address these issues. The property has the hard things (room design, bed comfort, etc.) right - it's a shame that these "soft" issues detract from what should be another gem in Hyatt's portfolio. An unclean toilet is not acceptable at any level of hotel, let alone a Category 5 Hyatt.
relidtm and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Agreed, I sent my feedback to my Concierge. I'm not trying to fish for compensation, but I would like for the hotel's management and ownership to address these issues. The property has the hard things (room design, bed comfort, etc.) right - it's a shame that these "soft" issues detract from what should be another gem in Hyatt's portfolio. An unclean toilet is not acceptable at any level of hotel, let alone a Category 5 Hyatt.
Its important for Hyatt to hear and I for one appreciate you sharing your comments. I stayed at a Doubletree for around the same cost
and the breakfast was excellent based on a 3 plus star standard.Cat 5 Hotels shouldn't be offering Globalists
shrink wrapped Grab & Go fare except as default when one doesn't want
a restaurant sit down.That would make it a cat 3 which is exactly what it should be @ best!
If I wasn't a frequent stay guest of the brand and had to pay in full I would still not to want to be in a hotel that can't do breakfast reasonably well.
Granted some won't care.

When The Bellevue finally gets renovated properly I couldn't see staying at this property except in the event if it were less than half the price.
Once you take away the Sporting Club and a great breakfast away all you have is a clean modern nice enough room.Well typically clean
Not to make excuses but hotels are challenged right now with most staffing.I've become a housekeeper on my last handful of stays
And quite frankly I am losing some of my passion for traveling!
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:45 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
There is no way this is a category 5 hotel @ 20k in points.So I would never redeem here.
Completely agree. It’s so odd that the cash rate here is pretty significantly cheaper than Bellevue every time I’ve checked, yet it’s a cat 5 compared to Bellevue’s cat 4. I think it’ll have to be due for a downgrade in category next time they make changes.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c
Completely agree. It’s so odd that the cash rate here is pretty significantly cheaper than Bellevue every time I’ve checked, yet it’s a cat 5 compared to Bellevue’s cat 4. I think it’ll have to be due for a downgrade in category next time they make changes.
Prob won't happen.It seems Hyatt is artificially inflating a number of properties system-wide into higher categories.
Sure would be interesting to know how they arrive at some of the very fuzzy math @ select properties .
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hp12c
That seems to be new though. When I checked in the beginning of this year, Centric was consistently more expensive than Bellevue. I think, being a new hotel, the Centric suffered more from staffing than Bellevue. The location is in theory much better, but that all changed with the pandemic.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
As a follow-up, I received a very nice message from the property's Operations Manager detailing the steps they were or had already taken to address my feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.