Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Will my 2021 awards get extended?

All official announcements to date have said that awards issues in 2021 would not be extended. Unofficially, based on anecdotal evidence in this thread, people have been able to get their Cat1-4 and Cat1-7 awards expiring in 2021 extended to end of January 2022. Reports are that this extension can/will only be done on request and during the month of expiration. Some Globalists have reported being able to get their concierge to exchange their expiring awards for points (10k for 1-4 and 20k for 1-7).
Summary of award types and expiration:
  • New card bonus: 6-month
  • Bonus Journeys 2021 Promo: 6-month
  • 30 nights (milestone cat 1-4): 6-month
  • 60 nights (milestone cat 1-7): 6-month
  • Brand Explorer: 12-month
  • CC $15k: 12-month
  • CC annual FN (cat 1-4): 12-month
  • Other CC FN: typically 12-month
History / Background:

Through to the end of 2020, Hyatt had a policy of extending awards issued in 2020 to have an expiration date of 12/31/21. The awards were initially issued with the standard expiration date (see above) and then a batch process ran periodically (roughly every two weeks) to update the expiration dates to 12/31/21. The last batch update ran in the first week of January 2021 to update the expiration dates of awards issued in the last weeks of 2020 (per Hyatt's official expiration date extension policy).

Awards issued in 2021 that were issued before the batch ran to update the
2020 awards were also updated to expire on 12/31/21. This could have been by design (i.e. Hyatt wanted to update the 2021 awards too) or just a byproduct of how the 2020 award update process was set up (i.e. it was easier to update everything that was issued since the previous batch ran rather than try to separate 2020 vs. 2021).

Hyatt may at some point choose to update awards in 2021 to expire on 12/31/21. But they also may not. The unofficial communications so far - i.e. reports from Twitter/Customer Service reps - have been that they will not be updating them. There has been no official announcement either way - but the default assumption should be that awards will not be extended. It's all conjecture until there is an official announcement.

Here is a response to a FlyerTalker's (
hoipolloi's) question to Hyatt on whether 2021 awards will be extended:

Originally Posted by Hyatt Consumer Affairs Department

Thank you for taking the time to provide recommendations and feedback regarding our guest loyalty program, World of Hyatt. This feedback allows us to enhance member experiences. I want to thank you on behalf of Amy and let you know we’re continuously monitoring the situation, as it is very fluid. However, at this time, we do not have any extensions for awards earned in 2021, as we are seeing that our members are able to redeem them. Should this change, we will adjust as soon as possible.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2021, 6:50 am

Late March and still no updates from Hyatt since January 26..
Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Late March and still no updates from Hyatt since January 26..
Based on their comments / updates to date, I would assume they won’t be extending them or making any further announcements. If they do extend them it’d likely be close to the expiry dates rather than far in advance.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:15 pm

Just earned my 1-7 FNA that unfortunately expires September 21. Most likely won't be able to use it for anything more than a night in at the local PH. Very frustrating as we have a trip to the Maldives booked for December and that would be a perfect use.

Has anyone had luck getting them to extend the certificates to December 2021 or (as I read elsewhere here) getting them converted into points?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 100k, Delta Platinum
After it expires, you can reach out to your concierge and they may convert your cat 1-7 into 20k points.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Are newly issued certificates (originally issued for 6 mo validity) still being extended to Dec 31, 2021. If so, is this an automatic process that occurs after the cert is issued, or does one need to call in to get them extended?

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Are newly issued certificates (originally issued for 6 mo validity) still being extended to Dec 31, 2021. If so, is this an automatic process that occurs after the cert is issued, or does one need to call in to get them extended?

-FlyerBeek
No. Only awards issues up to the first week in January 2021 were extended to 12/31/21. Any awards issued since then use the standard expiration dates.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:42 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'm using 2 certificates this weekend as I'm not convinced they will extend the expiration date and I don't want to think about them. I'm not getting the highest possible value but what I consider to be excellent enough at around $250 USD a night...and at my favorite hotel in the world probably.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I'm using 2 certificates this weekend as I'm not convinced they will extend the expiration date and I don't want to think about them. I'm not getting the highest possible value but what I consider to be excellent enough at around $250 USD a night...and at my favorite hotel in the world probably.
Thats a good move. At this point I assume there won’t be any further extensions.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:03 am

It's really disappointing Hyatt not mentioning anything about further extensions of our certificates when the world is still suffering a lot from the pandemic and travel restrictions/government guidelines are still preventing/discouraging a lot of people from traveling.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I tend to agree. Obviously nobody wants to spend a Cat 7 certificate at their local HP.

It's just worth reining in the entitlement... pre-COVID many people have used a 1-7 certificate at a Cat. 5 or 6 (or even lower) without feeling like they were ripped off. A summer trip to California, New York or Chicago hardly seems out of order given the generosity of Hyatt's promotion. Even Senators can make it down to an all-inclusive in Mexico for a night...

And of course, even if you don't use the 1-7 you'll probably get 20k points as compensation...
Just curious. I'm in OP's situation as well. What do you mean about the 20k points as compensation?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by XUEC
Just curious. I'm in OP's situation as well. What do you mean about the 20k points as compensation?
It's not guaranteed, but historically, globalists have been able to convert expired 1-4 certs for 10K points and 1-7 certs for 20K points. Some people DO get denied, so particularly if you've done it before, don't expect that it will work.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes
It's not guaranteed, but historically, globalists have been able to convert expired 1-4 certs for 10K points and 1-7 certs for 20K points. Some people DO get denied, so particularly if you've done it before, don't expect that it will work.
Wow that's great to know, thanks. Was planning to use the 1-7 cert on a local PH stay just for fun, but if this is possible it's definitely better.

Anyone have have DPs on this? Who do I talk to about this? My concierge?
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by XUEC
Wow that's great to know, thanks. Was planning to use the 1-7 cert on a local PH stay just for fun, but if this is possible it's definitely better.

Anyone have have DPs on this? Who do I talk to about this? My concierge?
You have to wait for the certificate to expire and then talk/write to your Concierge. A bit nerve-wracking, but they won't do anything until the certificate has expired.

I've done it myself. But as jameswes says, you cannot 100% rely on it. (although with a pandemic ongoing I assume that Hyatt are more lenient than usual, especially with Globalists)
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:17 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by craigthemif
You have to wait for the certificate to expire and then talk/write to your Concierge. A bit nerve-wracking, but they won't do anything until the certificate has expired.

I've done it myself. But as jameswes says, you cannot 100% rely on it. (although with a pandemic ongoing I assume that Hyatt are more lenient than usual, especially with Globalists)
My Globe concierge warned me not to consider that as a given. She says to use it....
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedSun
My Globe concierge warned me not to consider that as a given. She says to use it....
They all make that suggestion pre-expiry, then afterwards talk about a "one off exception". I agree with that approach and also sharing with people on FT that maybe not all is lost with an imminent certificate expiry.

I personally wouldn't risk it with a Cat 1-7, but I might be inclined to take my chances with a 1-4. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.