Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Will my 2021 awards get extended?

All official announcements to date have said that awards issues in 2021 would not be extended. Unofficially, based on anecdotal evidence in this thread, people have been able to get their Cat1-4 and Cat1-7 awards expiring in 2021 extended to end of January 2022. Reports are that this extension can/will only be done on request and during the month of expiration. Some Globalists have reported being able to get their concierge to exchange their expiring awards for points (10k for 1-4 and 20k for 1-7).
Summary of award types and expiration:
  • New card bonus: 6-month
  • Bonus Journeys 2021 Promo: 6-month
  • 30 nights (milestone cat 1-4): 6-month
  • 60 nights (milestone cat 1-7): 6-month
  • Brand Explorer: 12-month
  • CC $15k: 12-month
  • CC annual FN (cat 1-4): 12-month
  • Other CC FN: typically 12-month
History / Background:

Through to the end of 2020, Hyatt had a policy of extending awards issued in 2020 to have an expiration date of 12/31/21. The awards were initially issued with the standard expiration date (see above) and then a batch process ran periodically (roughly every two weeks) to update the expiration dates to 12/31/21. The last batch update ran in the first week of January 2021 to update the expiration dates of awards issued in the last weeks of 2020 (per Hyatt's official expiration date extension policy).

Awards issued in 2021 that were issued before the batch ran to update the
2020 awards were also updated to expire on 12/31/21. This could have been by design (i.e. Hyatt wanted to update the 2021 awards too) or just a byproduct of how the 2020 award update process was set up (i.e. it was easier to update everything that was issued since the previous batch ran rather than try to separate 2020 vs. 2021).

Hyatt may at some point choose to update awards in 2021 to expire on 12/31/21. But they also may not. The unofficial communications so far - i.e. reports from Twitter/Customer Service reps - have been that they will not be updating them. There has been no official announcement either way - but the default assumption should be that awards will not be extended. It's all conjecture until there is an official announcement.

Here is a response to a FlyerTalker's (
hoipolloi's) question to Hyatt on whether 2021 awards will be extended:

Originally Posted by Hyatt Consumer Affairs Department

Thank you for taking the time to provide recommendations and feedback regarding our guest loyalty program, World of Hyatt. This feedback allows us to enhance member experiences. I want to thank you on behalf of Amy and let you know we’re continuously monitoring the situation, as it is very fluid. However, at this time, we do not have any extensions for awards earned in 2021, as we are seeing that our members are able to redeem them. Should this change, we will adjust as soon as possible.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2020, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Same here. Award nights extended, DSU not yet.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 1:37 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Neither my TSU nor my Club upgrades are extended. I contacted MHC, she said it will happen automatically, but she didn‘t know when. I needed the TSUs for 6 upgrades next September.

she confirmed all 6 into a suite and she will monitor my TSU extension and then apply the certificates.

Quite some service I‘d say. Thumbs up!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
So happy for you, but I called my Concierge and asked her to do that and she said I just had to wait until until they were extended. This is frustrating when each Globalist gets a different level of customer service.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
So I just called called my concierge and she explained to me that you can do that if it is a paid stay. My stays I wanted to do it for were all with points. Now I feel bad about complaining, but at least I learned something new. She explained to me just how the IT system works and couldn't have been any nicer.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by joey965; Nov 27, 2020 at 2:58 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 30, 2020, 11:13 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Can you clarify this? I was told by someone today on the phone that the TSU won't extend until the month they expire, but the FAQ seems pretty clear the extension will take place on Nov 20th. We are past Nov 20th now and mine have not extended.
Any ideas?
The clarification I received is that the extensions are being done manually, and WoH were beginning the process of extending the TSUs on 11/20. Like others here, mine still haven't been extended...
Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:53 pm

I just received my cc anniversary night which has a 11/30/21 expiration, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the expiration date would be 12/31/21
Old Nov 30, 2020, 8:08 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hp12c
The clarification I received is that the extensions are being done manually, and WoH were beginning the process of extending the TSUs on 11/20. Like others here, mine still haven't been extended...
Thanks for the update... i hope it can happen while space is still available... how frustrating!
Old Dec 5, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
My Club Access Awards just updated today to expire Dec 31, 2021. Thank you Hyatt.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Richard1148
My Club Access Awards just updated today to expire Dec 31, 2021. Thank you Hyatt.
Mine too. Helps ease the pain of being a failed Globalist.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
I just received my cc anniversary night which has a 11/30/21 expiration, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the expiration date would be 12/31/21
Yes seems it should be 12/31/31 according to this:

All unused Suite Upgrade and Club Lounge Access awards with February 28, 2021 expiration dates will be extended to December 31, 2021. In addition, all unused Free Night awards that were earned in 2020 with 2021 expiration dates will be extended to December 31, 2021.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had my Free night award for hitting 60 nights post and it has 6/4/21 expiration so that should be 12/31/21.

Also how long after CC anniversary did your free night award post for that? Mine hasn’t posted. My annual fee was on my last statement - have paid and next statement has been generated. Thought that would trigger it.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Do we know what day the off peak and peak bookings are going to begin?

Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:30 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Do we know what day the off peak and peak bookings are going to begin?
It's buried in the OP ... from the press release issued 6 October 2020
  • Off-peak and Peak point redemption .further postponed: World of Hyatt is further postponing the introduction of Off-peak and Peak point redemption (originally planned for March 22, 2020) until July 2021. This means that free-night redemptions will continue to be at standard rates through June 2021.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by itsallgood
Mine haven't extended expiry either. I'll wait.
My free night that had been extended to the end of 2021 disappeared. I'll give Hyatt's crack IT team a while to fix it since I don't plan on using it any time soon.
Quoting my post from the end of November. I never called; everything was updated.

I crossed the 60 night threshold and got the promotional free night in early Dec ... with a Jun 2021 expiry. Not worried about it; it should be manually updated before it expires.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:55 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by skj
It's buried in the OP ... from the press release issued 6 October 2020
  • Off-peak and Peak point redemption .further postponed: World of Hyatt is further postponing the introduction of Off-peak and Peak point redemption (originally planned for March 22, 2020) until July 2021. This means that free-night redemptions will continue to be at standard rates through June 2021.
What if you are able to make reservations for travel dates beyond June 2021 using the extended certs? I doubt those would get "repriced" even when peak-rates are implemented by then.

LAX
Old Dec 19, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX
What if you are able to make reservations for travel dates beyond June 2021 using the extended certs? I doubt those would get "repriced" even when peak-rates are implemented by then.

LAX
My understanding of the Peak pricing is that Category Certificates apply only to Category rather than Points Costs.

Meaning a Cat 1-4 is always valid at a Cat 4 property even during Peak Dates where points cost would be 18k per night.

The Same with Category 1-7 Certificates during Peak dates where points cost would be 35k per night.

So whether you book now or later using a certificate you’d have the same results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.