Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Will my 2021 awards get extended?

All official announcements to date have said that awards issues in 2021 would not be extended. Unofficially, based on anecdotal evidence in this thread, people have been able to get their Cat1-4 and Cat1-7 awards expiring in 2021 extended to end of January 2022. Reports are that this extension can/will only be done on request and during the month of expiration. Some Globalists have reported being able to get their concierge to exchange their expiring awards for points (10k for 1-4 and 20k for 1-7).
Summary of award types and expiration:
  • New card bonus: 6-month
  • Bonus Journeys 2021 Promo: 6-month
  • 30 nights (milestone cat 1-4): 6-month
  • 60 nights (milestone cat 1-7): 6-month
  • Brand Explorer: 12-month
  • CC $15k: 12-month
  • CC annual FN (cat 1-4): 12-month
  • Other CC FN: typically 12-month
History / Background:

Through to the end of 2020, Hyatt had a policy of extending awards issued in 2020 to have an expiration date of 12/31/21. The awards were initially issued with the standard expiration date (see above) and then a batch process ran periodically (roughly every two weeks) to update the expiration dates to 12/31/21. The last batch update ran in the first week of January 2021 to update the expiration dates of awards issued in the last weeks of 2020 (per Hyatt's official expiration date extension policy).

Awards issued in 2021 that were issued before the batch ran to update the
2020 awards were also updated to expire on 12/31/21. This could have been by design (i.e. Hyatt wanted to update the 2021 awards too) or just a byproduct of how the 2020 award update process was set up (i.e. it was easier to update everything that was issued since the previous batch ran rather than try to separate 2020 vs. 2021).

Hyatt may at some point choose to update awards in 2021 to expire on 12/31/21. But they also may not. The unofficial communications so far - i.e. reports from Twitter/Customer Service reps - have been that they will not be updating them. There has been no official announcement either way - but the default assumption should be that awards will not be extended. It's all conjecture until there is an official announcement.

Here is a response to a FlyerTalker's (
hoipolloi's) question to Hyatt on whether 2021 awards will be extended:

Originally Posted by Hyatt Consumer Affairs Department

Thank you for taking the time to provide recommendations and feedback regarding our guest loyalty program, World of Hyatt. This feedback allows us to enhance member experiences. I want to thank you on behalf of Amy and let you know were continuously monitoring the situation, as it is very fluid. However, at this time, we do not have any extensions for awards earned in 2021, as we are seeing that our members are able to redeem them. Should this change, we will adjust as soon as possible.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:53 pm

So maybe we'll get the chance to use points at Aviara again? Been a while.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Mar Monte going to cat 5 is a bummer. This is a great place to burn a cat 4 cert. Too good value.
Also bummed, as I live near Santa Barbara but it's nice for a quick getaway. The prior hotel was not special but good enough. It makes sense as a cat 5 now due to the supply/demand of rooms due to the college. But it seemed like that would have been taken care of by high vs. low.

Those Wailea properties have an amazing location, just a few hundred yards from the Andaz on what I think it the best part of Maui. Haven't looked inside, but it certainly is more affordable. While I love the Andaz, it's 23k vs. 35k in high season.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 2:29 pm

So is it safe to assume ANY free night award certificates I have in my account will be extended until 12/31/2021? At this point I'm not even sure when some of them were earned.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Can someone tell me why Wolf Blitzer and CNN have not covered this story as BREAKING NEWS today?
Old Oct 6, 2020, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
No their press release had a typo. It's the parker New York. Honestly if it werent for the good globalist breakfast I would think it should be a category 4 except the location is good.
Its very worn down and I've gotten rates as low as $120 after tax
I've heard that the Parker is being fully renovated and is converting into a Thompson, it will be their new flagship hotel. I'm sure the Park Hyatt right across the street won't like that if it's true.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
Also bummed, as I live near Santa Barbara but it's nice for a quick getaway. The prior hotel was not special but good enough. It makes sense as a cat 5 now due to the supply/demand of rooms due to the college. But it seemed like that would have been taken care of by high vs. low.

Those Wailea properties have an amazing location, just a few hundred yards from the Andaz on what I think it the best part of Maui. Haven't looked inside, but it certainly is more affordable. While I love the Andaz, it's 23k vs. 35k in high season.

I lived in SB for years just moving last year and SB definitely doesnt have high demand. Their highest demand month is July for the 4th fireworks show which was cancelled. As far as demand due to the college all classes are distance learning so no demand for families to visit. Also they just built 2 Hiltons right next to the campus in Goleta along with a Ritz right there while MarMonte is a good 15 minute drive from UCSB. Its a good location dont get me wrong, just I dont see it as being a Cat 5 like Andaz Papagayo at all. I feel like its perfectly placed at a Cat 4 which 15k points are worth $225-$300. I feel like the owners investing so much into the renovation and pressing Hyatt to bump them up to do that had a lot to do with it.
josephstern likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt4200
I lived in SB for years just moving last year and SB definitely doesn’t have high demand. Their highest demand month is July for the 4th fireworks show which was cancelled. As far as demand due to the college all classes are distance learning so no demand for families to visit. Also they just built 2 Hiltons right next to the campus in Goleta along with a Ritz right there while MarMonte is a good 15 minute drive from UCSB. It’s a good location don’t get me wrong, just I don’t see it as being a Cat 5 like Andaz Papagayo at all. I feel like it’s perfectly placed at a Cat 4 which 15k points are worth $225-$300. I feel like the owners investing so much into the renovation and pressing Hyatt to bump them up to do that had a lot to do with it.
it's coastal california where relatively well-off escape by car in the absence of most other typical travel this year.. everything outdoor-like has been insanely overpriced around here as well as near tahoe/mammoth or zion.. $500+ rates at very generic hotels were quite common despite closed schools and lack of business travel.. just check availability this weekend at any of those places

Last edited by azepine00; Oct 6, 2020 at 5:07 pm
Old Oct 6, 2020, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
it's coastal california where relatively well-off escape by car in the absence of most other typical travel this year.. everything outdoor-like has been insanely overpriced around here as well as near tahoe/mammoth or zion.. $500+ rates at very generic hotels were quite common despite closed schools and lack of business travel.. just check availability this weekend at any of those places
Ive monitored the rates there for years and its quite rare to surpass $500 maybe less than 5% of the year. I would compare the coastal location to that of Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego which is IMHO a much better property.

Just giving my honest opinion as someone whos lived in Santa Barbara and whos steadily checked the rates here. Also, Ive seen several Coastal California properties well under $200 from March thru December ranging from San Diego, to Newport Beach, all the way up to San Francisco.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I don't check often but have stayed a couple of times on points and usually over $300 for the times I went (summer weekend).

For the next Saturday nights in October (if available) standard rate is over $500.
For all the Saturdays in November, standard rate is over $400.

The rates will fall if there isn't the demand.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt4200
... I would compare the coastal location to that of Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego which is IMHO a much better property.
I agree however MGH is a city hotel that relies on business travel/conventions. MM is more in leisure outdoors category which is currently overrun by throngs of ppl desperate to get out. Pricing as noted above is exactly in the range i encountered in recent searches. Good time to use points for those who need to stay at outdoorsy destinations.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
I don't check often but have stayed a couple of times on points and usually over $300 for the times I went (summer weekend).

For the next Saturday nights in October (if available) standard rate is over $500.
For all the Saturdays in November, standard rate is over $400.

The rates will fall if there isn't the demand.
Originally Posted by azepine00
I agree however MGH is a city hotel that relies on business travel/conventions. MM is more in leisure outdoors category which is currently overrun by throngs of ppl desperate to get out. Pricing as noted above is exactly in the range i encountered in recent searches. Good time to use points for those who need to stay at outdoorsy destinations.
Ive watched prices for this property for the last 2-3 years. I feel like the rates are just excessively high not due necessarily to massive amounts of leisure travel, but rather trying to recoup their massive investment into renovations. Since theyve had low business since March theyve not recouped nearly enough in comparison to their projections based on a normal year. I sincerely doubt masses are flocking paying their $400+ rates right now or even next year. Based on my searches last year they had about 20 days total surpassing $500, roughly 55 surpassing $300 and the rest below $300. Meaning almost 300 days below $300 for this property.

I feel like this next year may be a test for them, but I definitely feel they will not be packed with the current rates and they will drop them in 2021. Theyre testing the waters as they only recently converted to Mar Monte from Hyatt Centric.

I do agree that typically Manchester Grand has been a business hotel, but we checked in for a 4 Night stay last month and it was actually sold out with leisure travelers. They were running I believe 30-40% capacity which is I believe 500ish rooms, so theyre rebounding quite well and doing so because of reasonably priced rates.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 9:37 pm

Any concrete dp on when my 6/20/21 certificate will update to 12/31/21? I have heard by 11/20 but hyatt states it will update by the 20th of the month it expires (so 6/20/21)
Old Oct 13, 2020, 9:59 pm

Last extension, I think all mine extended about a week after the announcement.

It actually would be nice if they would push all of the extensions through so we could make plans for later in 2021.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Last extension, I think all mine extended about a week after the announcement.

It actually would be nice if they would push all of the extensions through so we could make plans for later in 2021.
that's exactly what I am looking to do as I want to book hc waikiki.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 11:09 pm

Just a reminder -- don't use your free night certs for stays in 2020. Much better to use points with the rebate. Save those free certs for 2021.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.