Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Hotels and Places to Stay

Hyatt | World of Hyatt

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 3, 21, 2:18 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: coleslaw
Wiki Link
Will my 2021 awards get extended?

All official announcements to date have said that awards issues in 2021 would not be extended. Unofficially, based on anecdotal evidence in this thread, people have been able to get their Cat1-4 and Cat1-7 awards expiring in 2021 extended to end of January 2022. Reports are that this extension can/will only be done on request and during the month of expiration. Some Globalists have reported being able to get their concierge to exchange their expiring awards for points (10k for 1-4 and 20k for 1-7).
Summary of award types and expiration:
  • New card bonus: 6-month
  • Bonus Journeys 2021 Promo: 6-month
  • 30 nights (milestone cat 1-4): 6-month
  • 60 nights (milestone cat 1-7): 6-month
  • Brand Explorer: 12-month
  • CC $15k: 12-month
  • CC annual FN (cat 1-4): 12-month
  • Other CC FN: typically 12-month
History / Background:

Through to the end of 2020, Hyatt had a policy of extending awards issued in 2020 to have an expiration date of 12/31/21. The awards were initially issued with the standard expiration date (see above) and then a batch process ran periodically (roughly every two weeks) to update the expiration dates to 12/31/21. The last batch update ran in the first week of January 2021 to update the expiration dates of awards issued in the last weeks of 2020 (per Hyatt's official expiration date extension policy).

Awards issued in 2021 that were issued before the batch ran to update the
2020 awards were also updated to expire on 12/31/21. This could have been by design (i.e. Hyatt wanted to update the 2021 awards too) or just a byproduct of how the 2020 award update process was set up (i.e. it was easier to update everything that was issued since the previous batch ran rather than try to separate 2020 vs. 2021).

Hyatt may at some point choose to update awards in 2021 to expire on 12/31/21. But they also may not. The unofficial communications so far - i.e. reports from Twitter/Customer Service reps - have been that they will not be updating them. There has been no official announcement either way - but the default assumption should be that awards will not be extended. It's all conjecture until there is an official announcement.

Here is a response to a FlyerTalker's (
hoipolloi's) question to Hyatt on whether 2021 awards will be extended:

Originally Posted by Hyatt Consumer Affairs Department

Thank you for taking the time to provide recommendations and feedback regarding our guest loyalty program, World of Hyatt. This feedback allows us to enhance member experiences. I want to thank you on behalf of Amy and let you know were continuously monitoring the situation, as it is very fluid. However, at this time, we do not have any extensions for awards earned in 2021, as we are seeing that our members are able to redeem them. Should this change, we will adjust as soon as possible.

Print Wikipost

Old May 20, 21, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
(Heck, even a "Just this once, we'll convert those certs to 10k points as a matter of policy if you're based in the following countries" would probably handle most of this. FWIW the country where people are most likely to get stuffed under the current policy is probably India, since things seemed to be in hand until March [so plenty of time to hit 30 nights for the year between the double night credits and carry-over credits from the late 2020 promo before all hell broke loose, and Hyatt has a respectable footprint there] and I don't think you can reasonably expect folks to be eagerly "out and about" for a bit there even if the official numbers drop off.)
You'll then just have people saying "but I couldn't maximize value out of my award because of X so it's unfair that they get special treatment and I don't".
Old May 20, 21, 6:05 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
You'll then just have people saying "but I couldn't maximize value out of my award because of X so it's unfair that they get special treatment and I don't".
Yes, but it would be materially no different than the early-in-the-pandemic policies that initially flew up to the benefit of folks in eastern Asia as things froze up there. Honestly, they could even tag it to certain (externally objective) conditions (e.g. travel restrictions).
RedSun likes this.
Old May 27, 21, 9:05 pm

After Marriott, Hilton just re-extended certs too to January 2022 https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/05/27/...2/?omhide=true
lsquare and cfabar1 like this.
Old May 27, 21, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by hoipolloi View Post
After Marriott, Hilton just re-extended certs too to January 2022 https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/05/27/...2/?omhide=true
I saw that earlier this afternoon. Sucks that Hyatt still haven't done anything. Looks like I'll have to plan on using mine before they expire this summer.
Old May 28, 21, 1:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Yup, definitely time for Hyatt to extend certs. In some cases, we're not even talking about an additional extension (for the 6mo certs issued in 2021 this should be a no-brainer). I've got Marriott and Hilton certs that were issued in 2019 that have been extended again, yet Hyatt certs issued in April 2021 that are expiring in 4 months.

-FlyerBeek
lsquare likes this.
Old May 28, 21, 5:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, ProrityClub
Originally Posted by XUEC View Post
Just curious. I'm in OP's situation as well. What do you mean about the 20k points as compensation?
hi, curious too ....when you are not able to use your free night certificates, how do you get points compensation? And can you get points compensation for suite or club upgrade certificates too ?
Old May 28, 21, 10:43 am

Pre Covid, there were many threads/complaints about FNA expiration dates...some people will continue to complain/request extentions even if Hyatt extended the FNA again.
Old May 28, 21, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think particularly with the award calendar changes, but allowing all Cat 1-4 hotels to be redeemed with these certificates, it is very unlikely that they will be extended.
Old May 28, 21, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
Pre Covid, there were many threads/complaints about FNA expiration dates...some people will continue to complain/request extentions even if Hyatt extended the FNA again.
True, but we are still in a pandemic with much of the world still heavily restricting travel. Keep in mind, some Hyatt FNAs have never been extended (and already expire sooner than the 2020 certs that were extended). Those are mainly the certs I feel should be extended to match the 12/31/21 extension date of the certs issued in 2020. Entirely reasonable request in my mind.

-FlyerBeek
yorkboy24 and hoipolloi like this.
Old May 29, 21, 4:45 pm

I've tried using my 3 certs , and i cannot find any hotel that are accepting them( maybe all booked up) I tried different dates and locations, but nothing.
They do show 12K or 15K rooms available, after calling they said each location is limited to how many can be used.

Anyone find locations worth using, especially in the december 21 timeframe?

Thanks!
Old May 29, 21, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kobefan View Post
I've tried using my 3 certs , and i cannot find any hotel that are accepting them( maybe all booked up) I tried different dates and locations, but nothing.
They do show 12K or 15K rooms available, after calling they said each location is limited to how many can be used.

Thanks!
If a property has standard rooms available using points then theyll also take awards. Just contact Twitter and ask them to book / apply them if youre unable to do it yourself using Pay My Way (by looking under the Standard rate option).
Old May 29, 21, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
If a property has standard rooms available using points then theyll also take awards. Just contact Twitter and ask them to book / apply them if youre unable to do it yourself using Pay My Way (by looking under the Standard rate option).
I have actually seen an increase of this in a sense where it says no awards but standard rooms are available. Hyatt has no blackout dates and the call center or twitter can book it. From my own experience you may have to hangup and call again however.
Old May 29, 21, 7:41 pm

I've tried using my 3 certs , and i cannot find any hotel that are accepting them( maybe all booked up) I tried different dates and locations, but nothing. They do show 12K or 15K rooms available, after calling they said each location is limited to how many can be used.
Are you trying to use certs for a multiple night reservation? If so, you'll definitely need to call in to get them booked. If standard points nights are available then you should be apply to use your certs.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 29, 21, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek View Post
Are you trying to use certs for a multiple night reservation? If so, you'll definitely need to call in to get them booked. If standard points nights are available then you should be apply to use your certs.

-FlyerBeek
You can book yourself if they offer Pay My Way.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old May 29, 21, 8:24 pm

Thanks!
That's right around Christmas, if you wait closer to the date and rooms are available you'll have better luck using the free night certs. Hotels are going to prefer cash or points during those dates. On a separate note I just tried using a companion ticket on Delta during Christmas week and President's week but was blocked from using it. Meanwhile the plane has tons of seats still available during both of those timeframes.

Search this Thread