Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Subpar Hyatt stay - Customer Service or GM/FDM?

Old Sep 9, 2020, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Had a pretty crappy GH stay in terms of cleanliness and bathroom maintenance. I do plan on visiting again in the future and a few more times this year.

Is it better to write feedback to [email protected] or front desk manager (received his email on the way out)? Chasing Globalist this year and plans on staying again so perhaps having a 1:1 channel with the front desk manager may be best?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by maddyperrier68
Had a pretty crappy GH stay in terms of cleanliness and bathroom maintenance. I do plan on visiting again in the future and a few more times this year.

Is it better to write feedback to [email protected] or front desk manager (received his email on the way out)? Chasing Globalist this year and plans on staying again so perhaps having a 1:1 channel with the front desk manager may be best?
I recommend management first, and then if they don’t do anything then contact corporate.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:40 am

Having worked for many years in both hotels and a central reservations office (which is where customer service was located for that chain), I've always recommended to compliment down and complain up.

Compliments:
When you run across an employee that goes above and beyond at a good hotel and you want to recognize that person, go to the chain website. Your compliment will get logged with Corporate before being sent to the hotel. All chain hotels must meet certain standards in terms of guest feedback. Compliments (either for an individual or the entire hotel) are used in conjunction with complaints during this annual review.

It will take a day or two, but the compliment will make it to the hotel and then it will be passed along to the employee. Additionally, your customer relationship management (CRM) account with the chain will include a notion that you complimented the employee/hotel. Different hotel groups will use that fact in different ways...but, it will never be considered to be negative for you.

[Anecdote: In my first hotel job, one of our Telephone Operators won Employee-of-the-Year for the entire hotel group. That honor came with 2 weeks paid vacation and a 7-night almost-all-expenses paid trip for 2 to Aruba. One of the reasons he won was because he had multiple compliments that originated with the chain.]

Complaints:
If you have a complaint, it's usually best to start at the lowest reasonable level and work up. Basically, this is what liondragonx5y mentions. This strategy is best because you can continue to elevate the complaint to people with more power if you don't agree with the resolution (see caveat).

For a limited or extended stay brand (like Hyatt House), the Front Desk Managers tend to have good deal of influence within the hotel. As such, that person would be able to work with the Housekeeping and/or Maintenance Departments to address your concerns. (Larger properties with more employees might have more distinct chains-of-command that might require action from a Rooms Division Manager/Assistant General Manager/General Manager instead of a Front Desk Manager.)

Personally, I'd start with the Front Office Manager. Be sure to mention the fact that you are likely to return to the hotel. If you already have future reservations, slip that into the conversation.

Caveat: All hotel groups tend to operate under the philosophy that individual hotels are responsible for handing their own complaints. As such, appeals to the chain Customer Service Department or the hotel group Corporate Office usually won't change much. Those people will usually only overrule the hotel's response to a complaint if a policy was broken or if the case is egregious. (Questionable cleanliness or maintenance usually wouldn't rise to the level.)

TL;DL: Start your compliments using the hotel chain website. For complaints, start at the hotel so that you can appeal up, if necessary.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Sep 9, 2020 at 10:43 am Reason: Fixing bold.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Request for a reversal of points on a night (1 of the 2) on the house was denied by front desk manager. Offered club passes but no real value in those, especially given the climate.

Will proceed in contacting corporate - is [email protected] best?

Is it also wise to mention to corporate that a suitable remedy wasn't provided by property, hence I'm reaching out to corporate? Thank you.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by maddyperrier68
Thank you. Request for a reversal of points on a night (1 of the 2) on the house was denied by front desk manager. Offered club passes but no real value in those, especially given the climate.

Will proceed in contacting corporate - is [email protected] best?

Is it also wise to mention to corporate that a suitable remedy wasn't provided by property, hence I'm reaching out to corporate? Thank you.
Given you are unsatisfied with the resolution, the next thing to do would be to contact the email you mentioned. I would definitely recommend saying that xyz was not good, you spoke with x person at the hotel who is the front desk manager, and feel that their response was not near the level you expect from the Hyatt brand. From there, it’s your choice how you want to proceed with the email, but generally would recommend against requesting anything specifically. Say that you normally love Hyatt and rarely have issues, so this threw you off. Say you are reaching out both to help provide feedback to improve the property, and because you felt the management did not provide an adequate response. The friendlier you are, the better the result tends to be.

Customer service often takes into account not only your email, but also your history and current status with them when deciding how to compensate you. They will also take into account the chances of you returning to the property and/or staying with Hyatt again. Don’t go in expecting anything specifically, but I can tell you that Hyatt corporate has treated me far better than any other brand when it comes to proactively dealing with complaints.

Good luck!
Old Sep 19, 2020, 6:12 pm

I would also factor in the reasonableness of the request. If you are demanding something that is unreasonable for the problem you dealt with, you will probably eventually get what you want if you complain to enough people at the right levels, but it will be noted and would affect the way you are dealt with over any future issues I would say. Not to say you are being unreasonable since we do not know what the issue is, but in my experience, I have pretty much never requested any specific compensation for any issue I have ever suffered. I find that over the years I have been offered remedies and compensation that generally either meets or exceeds what I think is necessary to remedy the situation, even for things scaling up to refunding of an entire night.

I will say that the disconnect between what you think you should get and what they offered is pretty large (refund of night vs club passes) so either you are asking for too much, the staff member you dealt with is a real cheapo with a lack of customer service, or the hotel is general has a rather skimpy policy on customer compensation.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:37 pm

Why don't you just tell us exactly what happened?
Old Sep 20, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Digressing a little. Stayed at a HH for 2 nights with 2 kids and "no signal" on the TV. I could not change input on remote or at the TV. Mentioned it to 2 different front desk staff on 2 different days. Both told me maintenance will come. Maintenance never came and I was denied another room when I requested one. I understand the maintenance understaffing with COVID, but disappointed that I could not get another room since no TV was a big deal for us. I got 2500 points which I thought was reasonable. I would not expect to have a one night comp. I did file a complaint online but, based on this thread, will complain to hotel 1st next time.

Fast forward to this weekend. Stayed at Element Mall of America. There was no microwave in my room when I am told there should be one in every room. When I called to see if there was one in the lounge or breakfast area, the front desk person brought a set of keys to another room with a microwave since maintenance may take 1-2 hours. I elected to wait. Needless to say, this Hyatt loyalist will be staying at this Element when in the area.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thucanhho
Digressing a little. Stayed at a HH for 2 nights with 2 kids and "no signal" on the TV. I could not change input on remote or at the TV. Mentioned it to 2 different front desk staff on 2 different days. Both told me maintenance will come. Maintenance never came and I was denied another room when I requested one. I understand the maintenance understaffing with COVID, but disappointed that I could not get another room since no TV was a big deal for us. I got 2500 points which I thought was reasonable. I would not expect to have a one night comp. I did file a complaint online but, based on this thread, will complain to hotel 1st next time.

Fast forward to this weekend. Stayed at Element Mall of America. There was no microwave in my room when I am told there should be one in every room. When I called to see if there was one in the lounge or breakfast area, the front desk person brought a set of keys to another room with a microwave since maintenance may take 1-2 hours. I elected to wait. Needless to say, this Hyatt loyalist will be staying at this Element when in the area.
I think the HH should have done better for someone with 2 kids. One night would not have been an unreasonable request to me since they should have just moved you in the first place. Barring 100% full occupancy.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by thucanhho

Please name the HH. Since you mention midwest and the new MOA element (Bonvoy), could it have been the HH in Minot ND? It's one of the few in the midwest, in fact the only one I'm aware of in the upper midwest.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please name the HH. Since you mention midwest and the new MOA element (Bonvoy), could it have been the HH in Minot ND? It's one of the few in the midwest, in fact the only one I'm aware of in the upper midwest.
Hyatt House Schaumburg.

BTW: Took advice from this thread and sent a compliment to Bonvoy re: service by Ramon at Element MOA. Got a response from Bonvoy within 24 hours. Honestly, service I have not had at 5 star hotels in US. I see this type to service in Japan.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Reviving this thread - what is the expected response time for [email protected]? My concierge is out on Fridays and Saturdays, and I need some resolution on broken promises by a Hyatt property.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Reviving this thread - what is the expected response time for [email protected]? My concierge is out on Fridays and Saturdays, and I need some resolution on broken promises by a Hyatt property.
Have you tried talking with another concierge? If you call the phone number for your own concierge, if he/she isn't available, the call should forward to someone else. I think there's also a general concierge email, which would probably also be faster than the general hyatt customer service email.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you tried talking with another concierge? If you call the phone number for your own concierge, if he/she isn't available, the call should forward to someone else. I think there's also a general concierge email, which would probably also be faster than the general hyatt customer service email.
Guess I probably should just pick up the phone and call - playing phone tag with the property this week has been super annoying, and frankly, I'm kind of tired of having to talk with people and re-explain my issue (the other thing is the email has images that help provide context). If there is a general Concierge email, that would be great to know - I actually like how the Marriott Ambassador email goes to a whole pool of people to respond.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Guess I probably should just pick up the phone and call - playing phone tag with the property this week has been super annoying, and frankly, I'm kind of tired of having to talk with people and re-explain my issue (the other thing is the email has images that help provide context). If there is a general Concierge email, that would be great to know - I actually like how the Marriott Ambassador email goes to a whole pool of people to respond.
If your personal concierge is away for a while, I would hope that someone looks at incoming email, but I wouldn't like having random team members handling everything, the way Bonvoy does for "Ambassadors."

Maybe someone here knows whether Hyatt has a general concierge email and how efficient it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.