Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Which Cat. 2 Hyatt in Phoenix is best for 8,000 points?

Which Cat. 2 Hyatt in Phoenix is best for 8,000 points?

Old Sep 6, 2020, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
25% rebate is only if you have the Hyatt credit card, isn’t it? Otherwise 15%.
If I had 1 Hyatt point for every Flyertalker who wrote a post assuming that everybody has the respective co-branded credit card, I could live full time at the PH Tokyo (with a 15% rebate to come later)!
Old Sep 6, 2020, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Gainey Ranch is definitely not North Scottsdale. It's below Shea, which is the traditional divider.
Hyatt points are valuable. I don't like to waste them. To me "waste" is any redemption at a value of 1.5 cents per point or less. It's pretty easy to redeem them over 2 cpp.
I don't know it there's a concensus dividing point for N.Scottsdale. But yeah, for sure Gainey Ranch is not North Scottsdale. Scottsdale has stretched increasingly north, but most people would still consider Kierland to be N.Scottsdale.
+1 on Hyatt points being valuable, and furthermore it is difficult to earn them. It's not like Hilton points that keep pouring like slot machines due to promos, elite bonuses and cc bonuses.

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
I'm a newbie with points and frankly right now only had 12,000 Hyatt points, which isn't much, and now I'm down to 8,000 only. I thought about just finishing the points. Is there a better strategy for saving the points for a later time to get more value out of them?
I personally will only use points if I'm getting >2cents per point after tax/fees.
If you're a biz traveller with boatload of points to burn, then I can understand redeeming for lesser value than that. Even then, I think any redemption for <1.6cpm (again this is based on final total inc tax) is throwing points away.
HR Newport Beach at 8k, HR Vancouver at 12k, PH Beaver Creek during ski season at 30k, Andaz Tokyo during peak at 30k are all options that often end up being 2.2~2.5cpm redemptions.
You just have to make sure you don't let your points expire and bear in mind that devaluation can happen.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Hyatt points are valuable. I don't like to waste them. To me "waste" is any redemption at a value of 1.5 cents per point or less. It's pretty easy to redeem them over 2 cpp.

Note that if you timely registered for the promo, and this stay is prior to October 8, you would get a 25% points refund (i.e., 2000 points back).
Looks like 8,000 points at 1.5 cent CPP comes to $120. I think together with taxes the Hyatt Place Mesa comes to around $120. So maybe I can getting that much value? I'm bad at math though.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
More of the same advice...
You say you just stayed at HP TUS Airport. This location is what I call an "old build". Meaning it was originally built as an Amerisuites then purchased by Hyatt. To me, these buildings are all the same and unless the price or location is great, should be avoided.
"New builds" were built to be an HP. The rooms are essentially the same as an old build, but better quality construction (the walls don't rattle as much when another room down the hall allows their door to slam shut). The properties as a whole feel much cleaner and fresher than the old ones.

The Phoenix HPs:
North
Is an old build. In an office park. Ok if you get a room on the office park side, terrible if you're on the interstate side. Outside the office park area is not a good part of town.

Chandler
One of the few HPs that isn't an old or new build. Is "old" in the sense that it was converted from another property, but the conversion is a lot more recent than the mass conversion of Amerisuites, thus was converted to "new" style.
The unique thing is that the rooms are more like a true (2 room) suite than HP's "half wall divider" concept. It would've been better as a Hyatt House except there's just a wetbar and not a mini kitchen. The neighboorhood is ok, right next to an 80's era mall.

Gilbert
Is a new build, I'm thinking the newest HP in PHX. A growing area, but I don't remember much being there on my last visit a year ago.

Mesa
One of the first new builds. To the point that it still mostly used the yellow & orange colors of the old builds. I think it was my 1st stay at a new build and I was impressed at the time. Now I go there and the colors make the hallways look old and dingy like an old build. Nice pool. Next to a more modern style outdoor shopping are with several chain restaurants. Easy trip to the airport, but no shuttle.

Tempe
An old build. A tired old build. Closest to the airport and the only one with a shuttle. For locals, offers a "Stay-n-Park" rate that in the summer can be a good deal (if you're also needing a few night credits). Other than this, there is no reason to ever think about staying here, yet in the winter is typically the highest priced HP in town.

Scottsdale (not on your list)
An old build. Is a block or 2 from Old Town Scottsdale which might appeal to some. At least pre-covid, Saturday nights can be crazy with the bar crowds.
If wanting this area, I'd prefer the Hyatt House just around the corner. It is an old build "Summerfield Suites". Some don't like the all outdoor access or 3 story buildings with no elevators, but is cleaner than the HP.

As other have mentioned ....
Summer is low rate season in PHX. Unless you're main goal is to just burn your points, please check out the nicer properties and their cash rates.
My favorite is Gainey Ranch. I love the pool. I guess I should say the pool complex. Other than the HR Downtown, I've never stayed at any of the other non HP/HH locations.
MSPeconomist and FlyingSloth like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Agree with multiple other posters that with summer season rates you are likely better off paying cash.

I've stayed at HP Scottsdale before a PHX flight departure and it worked out fine, easy and short drive to the airport. The hotel was above average for HPs and with the adjacent nightclub closed it's an even better option now. Lots of restaurants within walking distance.

One note of caution if you stay in Tempe (airport HP or Mission Palms etc.), there is a local spike in COVID cases happening now thanks to the ASU crowd.
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Looks like 8,000 points at 1.5 cent CPP comes to $120. I think together with taxes the Hyatt Place Mesa comes to around $120. So maybe I can getting that much value?
Yeah that's reasonable, particularly if you don't have another clear use for the points.

Summer rates basically ended with Labor Day, though with occupancy COVID-challenged, rates will likely stay relatively low through the fall at many properties. Whether January will bring the sky-high rates seen in normal years remains to be seen.
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by steve64
More of the same advice...
You say you just stayed at HP TUS Airport. This location is what I call an "old build". Meaning it was originally built as an Amerisuites then purchased by Hyatt. To me, these buildings are all the same and unless the price or location is great, should be avoided.
"New builds" were built to be an HP. The rooms are essentially the same as an old build, but better quality construction (the walls don't rattle as much when another room down the hall allows their door to slam shut). The properties as a whole feel much cleaner and fresher than the old ones.

The Phoenix HPs:
North
Is an old build. In an office park. Ok if you get a room on the office park side, terrible if you're on the interstate side. Outside the office park area is not a good part of town.

Chandler
One of the few HPs that isn't an old or new build. Is "old" in the sense that it was converted from another property, but the conversion is a lot more recent than the mass conversion of Amerisuites, thus was converted to "new" style.
The unique thing is that the rooms are more like a true (2 room) suite than HP's "half wall divider" concept. It would've been better as a Hyatt House except there's just a wetbar and not a mini kitchen. The neighboorhood is ok, right next to an 80's era mall.

Gilbert
Is a new build, I'm thinking the newest HP in PHX. A growing area, but I don't remember much being there on my last visit a year ago.

Mesa
One of the first new builds. To the point that it still mostly used the yellow & orange colors of the old builds. I think it was my 1st stay at a new build and I was impressed at the time. Now I go there and the colors make the hallways look old and dingy like an old build. Nice pool. Next to a more modern style outdoor shopping are with several chain restaurants. Easy trip to the airport, but no shuttle.

Tempe
An old build. A tired old build. Closest to the airport and the only one with a shuttle. For locals, offers a "Stay-n-Park" rate that in the summer can be a good deal (if you're also needing a few night credits). Other than this, there is no reason to ever think about staying here, yet in the winter is typically the highest priced HP in town.

Scottsdale (not on your list)
An old build. Is a block or 2 from Old Town Scottsdale which might appeal to some. At least pre-covid, Saturday nights can be crazy with the bar crowds.
If wanting this area, I'd prefer the Hyatt House just around the corner. It is an old build "Summerfield Suites". Some don't like the all outdoor access or 3 story buildings with no elevators, but is cleaner than the HP.

As other have mentioned ....
Summer is low rate season in PHX. Unless you're main goal is to just burn your points, please check out the nicer properties and their cash rates.
My favorite is Gainey Ranch. I love the pool. I guess I should say the pool complex. Other than the HR Downtown, I've never stayed at any of the other non HP/HH locations.
This is incredible and I learned a lot from your post. I am always amazed how knowledgeable some folks on FT are. Incredible.
steve64 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by steve64
Gilbert Is a new build, I'm thinking the newest HP in PHX. A growing area, but I don't remember much being there on my last visit a year ago.
The property is pretty nice, I stayed here for a few days in between my move. However, it only makes sense if someone is in the Gilbert/Queen Creek area for work or to visit family. It is in a pretty developed area when it comes to restaurants, especially across the 202 towards Chandler.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 1:49 pm

I have stayed in 3 of the properties listed. My picks would be Hyatt Phoenix/Mesa, Hyatt Phoenix/Gilbert, Hyatt Place Phoenix/Chandler-Fashion Center.

Most recently, Hyatt Place Phoenix/Chandler-Fashion Center just 2 weeks ago. I felt that this is an older property. Also, at the time the pool and workout room was closed due to COVID (not sure if that matters to you or not). The first room I was put in stunk of smoke, so I was moved. Breakfast was bagged in the main dining area. Not sure when you are looking to stay, but over the summer they had many nights that were around $62 as an "Arizona special". They do not check ID. This hotel has a wall separating the rooms, as opposed to the others that have the weird divider thing. This hotel is across from a shopping mall with many food places around. Roughly 15 miles from the airport.

I stayed a few nights at Hyatt Place Phoenix/Mesa about a year ago. This property certainly felt newer. It was across from a few business buildings. Could easily drive to restaurants and shops. This one would be closer to the airport, but not by too much. I don't remember much else about this one. Roughly 10 miles from the airport.

About 1.5 years ago I stayed at Hyatt Place Phoenix/Gilbert. This will be farthest from the airport, at about 25 miles. Seems to be more expensive than the others listed. The hotel is sandwiched between 2 others...Hampton Inn & Home 2 suites. I assume the same Franchisee owns all 3 properties. Easy to find, lots of restaurants and shops within close driving distance. Also, not sure what the one comment was referencing...about being in the middle of nowhere amidst thousands of Canadians living in RVS lol. Maybe 10+ years ago when lots of it was still farmlands? lol. Definitely not the middle of nowhere (although the farthest from PHX), and there are no RV parks that I can think of.
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Originally Posted by evergrn
I don't know it there's a concensus dividing point for N.Scottsdale. But yeah, for sure Gainey Ranch is not North Scottsdale. Scottsdale has stretched increasingly north, but most people would still consider Kierland to be N.Scottsdale.
One of the "selling points" of my first Scottsdale home purchased in 1986 was it was the "geographic center" of the city. 86th and MacDonald!

Even older data point: in the early '70s we used to dove hunt "out in the boonies" at Jackrabbit and Scottsdale Rd.

Time for my Geritol 😞

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.